Amazon debuts $299 8.9" Kindle Fire HD, $119 e-ink Kindle Paperwhite

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 108

Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

Well, I am saying Jobs and Gates can be look at as both side of the same coin. One has what the ther lacks.

Sure!

… How'd we get on this from the Kindle? image

Did you know that the spec sheets for the various Kindle models at Best Buy actually say, … Ah, frick, I forget what they say. I knew I should have taken a picture of it. They actually advertise the OS-level ads as a feature.

• Reply 102 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Those other products make sense being sold at a loss because one is basically forced to buy other things. A game console is practically worthless without the games that need to be purchased and a printer needs ink, but one can buy a Kindle Fire and use it without ever buying another thing from Amazon. It's really a risky move.

Yes, you CAN never buy another thing from Amazon, but Amazon makes it very easy to continue buying things from them. I'm sure Amazon has the numbers to know how much current Kindle owners buy from them.

I'm glad to see the continued improvements it tablets - higher PPI, brighter screens. And the eReaders keep getting better, too. It's a fast moving technology space. All of the "device makers" - Samsung, et al - are going to have a rough time competing with "service" companies who can sell the hardware for a loss to make up the money on future sales.

- Jasen.

• Reply 103 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Those other products make sense being sold at a loss because one is basically forced to buy other things. A game console is practically worthless without the games that need to be purchased and a printer needs ink, but one can buy a Kindle Fire and use it without ever buying another thing from Amazon. It's really a risky move.

I am not going to argue with that.  Furthermore, I am not saying that what Amazon is doing is wise or smart.  It is far from a sure thing.  They are taking A LOT of risks, but I personally feel they have reason too.  They've become a major playing by selling physical books, music, and movies.  They see the writing on the wall.  If they don't become a major playing in the sell of digital content they're finished.  So they are taking major risks to ensure their survival.  Sort of an all-in approach that will either make or break them.

• Reply 104 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

No, you were correct as well in that one should question why is the price too low. It was just that by the time you posted I had both questioned and then arrived at a conclusion based on that question. I'll stick with Apple. They don't play games with the price. On face value the prices they charge seem fair to me. I do buy a lot of stuff from Amazon though but mostly through partner dealers. Things like home goods and computer parts. I have never purchased any media from them aside from actual printed books.

I honestly don't disagree with you on sticking with Apple.  I am only considering a Kindle for my kids because of the parental controls (we've had issues) and I would rather hand something to my 7 year old that costs $199 than $499.  

That said, I am definitely waiting to see what Apple does with the iPad Mini.

One final thing I would like to say...I think Amazon and Apple are more similar than people realize have similar business strategies.  At least, I WANT to believe that.  Amazon and Apple both have high customer satisfaction.  These are two companies I WANT to see go after each other.  The are both customer focused and if they fight to outdo each other, guess who wins?  US.  We all do.  Whether you buy Apple or Amazon. 

I can't for the life of me think of a reason people would NOT want that.   I am sure someone will tell me, but that is where I am coming from and maybe gives you more info on my perspective.

Wishful thinking?   Perhaps...

(edit: corrected statement above to more accurately reflect opinion but left original intact incase of forthcoming reply)

• Reply 105 of 108

$50 for an entire year of data at 250 MB per month is pretty awesome.  Amazon's recent licensing deal for EPIX content shows their trying to bolster their content offerings.   The kindle fire HD can probably do 90% of what I usually do on a tablet.  Although the resale value for the Ipads are much better and will probably more than offset the cheaper price of the Kindle fire HD has if you sell and upgrade.   

• Reply 106 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conwaycf View Post

Go to Settings -> Restrictions, tap Enable Restrictions, enter a code that only controls restriction settings and add your parental controls.

Honestly if you think what is offered here is sufficient then you'd be the first person I know that thinks that.

There are games I would rather the kids not play or movies I'd rather they not watch but I still want access to them.  The iPad doesn't remember the previous restrictions if I disable them so I can access those few things.  To enable again I have to start over.  I have suggested to Apple it simply remember your settings and it would make it much more usable.  As it is now, I've simply removed what I REALLY don't want the kids getting into and try to keep a close eye on them for the things I cannot or do not want to remove.

• Reply 107 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think you may have been suckered by Bezos' lies (or "reality distortion field" if you want to be kinder about it).  

People seem to forget that Bezos is a well known shyster, that Amazon doesn't release sales figures, that the first Fire was a resounding dud with everyone that bought one, that it had horrible build quality, and horrible software etc. etc. etc. ad infinitum. 

Why would anyone watch this dog and pony show and just take this crap at face value?  This guy, and this company have shown many times before how deceitful and how "anti-customer" they are.  Bezos plays fast and loose with the rules and always has done.  Based on past performance, nothing he says and nothing the company puts out as PR should really be believed. 

Let's wait until there are some actual devices in the hand and reviews of said devices.  

Not that anyone really cares.  The kindle Fire 1.0 was a POS according to every reviewer and most owners and didn't even sell very well, but if you read the tech news you will find most reviewers just regurgitating Amazons constant insistences that the exact opposite is true.  

In an age where few true journalists exist anymore and none are willing to actually investigate the claims made by a-holes like this it's pretty much what we have to expect (the public perception being 100% opposite to the reality).

You obviously have an issue with Jeff Bezos, so much so that you apparently find it offensive that I do not.

.....And you think I have a "reality distortion field"?

• Reply 108 of 108
    fairthrope wrote: »
    True, an Bill Gates was one of the best project executer in his time. If you have Jobs at the front presenting and selling, and Gates in the back running the office, what would that be?

They would've done what Pinky and the Brain never could, take over the world.