Apple sells 7 million Mountain Lion upgrades in less than 2 months

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
More than 7 million users have upgraded to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion since it launched in late July, Apple revealed on Wednesday.

Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook announced at Wednesday's keynote that his company's notebooks have ranked No. 1 in U.S. market share in the last 3 months. In all, the Mac has captured 27 percent of the overall PC market.

The Mac has also seen 15 percent year over year growth since the latest Macs launched in June, including the company's flagship 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display. In comparison, the overall PC market has grown just 2 percent.

Cook also touted iPad sales, stating that Apple's share of the tablet market has grown from 62 percent a year ago to 68 percent this year. The iPad also represents 91 percent of all tablet Web traffic.

"I don't know what these other tablets are doing," Cook said. "They must be in warehouses or store shelves."

In all, 17 million iPads were sold in the June quarter, which was more than any PC manufacturer sold of their entire PC line.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6

Shows how keen users are to be shot of Lion.

• Reply 2 of 6

27%? is this true? more than a third of US computer buyers are willing to spend 1000dollars+ on a computer? amazing :)

• Reply 3 of 6

Well, yes. In the end, it's not overly expensive, but reasonably priced. Consider: various manufacturers had a really hard time trying to hit $900-$1,000 with their "ultrabooks". So Apple did a fantastic job putting together quality hardware with quality software at a reasonable price. When you consider how inexpensive Apple apps (Pages, Numbers, Keynote, others) are compared to Microsoft Office and others, plus the oodles of time you have to spend making your Windows PC "just work", your $1,000 spent on a Mac is $$$ well spent. You get what you pay for. What's cheap is expensive in the end. 

I've used a 13" MBP for 3 years now and couldn't be happier. True, almost returned it at the beginning, couldn't get used to some things, but in the end gave it a serious effort and man, what a great machine! Initially it just didn’t have enough RAM (2GB), but when I popped in 8GB and changed the HDD to 500GB, 7200 RPM unit, the machine just screams. And upgrading from Snow Leopard to Lion to Mountain Lion couldn't have been easier. Which is not what I can say about my 5 yr old Dell Vostro 1510 15"... Ground to a halt, need to reinstall everything...  Not looking forward to it... Anyway, I'm ranting... ;-)

• Reply 4 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanRid View Post

Shows how keen users are to be shot of Lion.

Pretty much.  Lion is Apple's Vista, the worst release of Mac OS X they've EVER had.

I think I even liked the public beta better.

Now if they can just fix the two remaining massive bugs in 10.8:

• Won't run PowerPC software

• Scroll bar arrows are missing

• Reply 5 of 6

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

I think I even liked the public beta better.

Uh. huh…

????

These are features. Not bugs. Stop trolling. If you can talk about the public beta, you've been around long enough to know what you're saying here. Come on.

• Reply 6 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

Well, you won't get the first wish - but there is an App for it. It's called Snow Leopard.