Media Attacks iPhone, Again

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

This is getting to be a pattern in my view.  It goes all the way back to the original iPhone.  Recently, I've seen several articles with the same "don't upgrade until you read this!" headline regarding the iPhone 5.  One article predicted that Apple faces a much more challenging environment than it did two years ago with iPhone 4.  Then there were these "analyst" comments:  

Quote:

Tech analyst Rob Enderle was among those who noted that most of the new features Apple unveiled were already available in devices like the Samsung S3. "If you're not already an Apple user, you can get a better phone for less money," he said. "It looks like they're falling further behind the technology curve."

Oh, and this: iPhone 5 faces marketshare challenges.

But this is nothing new.  The first iPhone was slammed for its lack of 3G and lack of third party apps.  Then they slammed the 3G for not really being "twice as fast."  Then the iPhone 3GS wasn't enough of an upgrade.  Then the iPhone 4 had antenna gate.  Then the 4S wasn't enough of an upgrade (after all, it had the form factor and wasn't called "iPhone 5!").  Oh, and the Beta version of Siri didn't work.  Now we have the iPhone 5...and it's already "behind" the curve.  Meanwhile, every single one of the above devices has sold in record numbers, earning Apple record profits and driving it to be the biggest company in the world, by market cap.  

What I can't understand is that after 5 years, the "analysts" and "experts" (and other smartphone makers for that matter) still cannot comprehend that the iPhone, iPod and other Apple products are more than the sum of their parts.  The media will be ho-hum about the new iPhone...again.  And Apple will sell millions and millions...again.  

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    sdw2001 wrote:
    What I can't understand is that after 5 years, the "analysts" and "experts" (and other smartphone makers for that matter) still cannot comprehend that the iPhone, iPod and other Apple products are more than the sum of their parts.

I think they understand it ok but they get a lot more recognition by being abrasive. If they said the iPhone is great go buy one, nobody would take any interest. If they say Android phones are better, they get Android fans talking about it and then iPhone fans post links to their articles because they disagree.

There are also very strong anti-Apple feelings in a lot of people who post online, probably more so than for any other company. Even random people, check out the comments on this news article:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/video-review--is-iphone-5-worth-it--.html

They go on about Android products being cheaper and better but the Galaxy S3 is an expensive phone. In the UK, it launched at £500:

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/samsung-galaxy-s3-uk-price-and-release-date-50007836/

and the iPhone 5 will launch at £530:

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone

They have this perception that Apple is some closed, elitist organisation putting out poor quality products that can only be seen as worthwhile to the dumb and yet their build quality and satisfaction ratings are higher than anyone else. Naturally their competition love this and the media does too because the media these days is no longer an unbiased source of information but a collection of the opinions of individual people.