Apple 'completely blown away' by iPhone 5 demand

Comments

• Reply 41 of 162
    captain j wrote: »
    I also love how so many of this forum are completely myopic. One either drools over every Apple move or one is a Fandroid.  I don't think this phone was a innovative in technology as it should have been. I repeated that here several times. It didn't stop me from buying one, but it also didn't stop me from pointing out the flaws I see in Apple's products.
    The problem with the "it isn't innovative" claim is that no one can really identify what would have been innovative ... because until Apple shows an innovation to the market, no one knows about it.
  • Reply 42 of 162

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

ain'it

Twern't so! image

• Reply 43 of 162
    slurpy wrote: »
    Pre-orders sold out 20x faster than those of the 4S. If Apple has anywhere NEAR the numbers that we're available for 4s pre-orders (and they may have had more), we're looking at a monster launch that really is beyond anything else ever seen.
    Either way, history repeats itself.

I say total fail. The iPhone didn't sell out before it was introduced. Heck, it didn't even sell out before it was announced.....
    ;-)
  • Reply 44 of 162

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

I find it hard to believe Apple had the same number of 5's as they did 4S's an sold out 20X faster. It doesn't make any sense.  I think this is a combination of lower supplies for the US (more countries in at launch date IIRC), a better server to handle the load so more people could order faster without getting locked out, and maybe actually fewer in inventory if the supply problems reports are true.

I also love how so many of this forum are completely myopic. One either drools over every Apple move or one is a Fandroid.  I don't think this phone was a innovative in technology as it should have been. I repeated that here several times. It didn't stop me from buying one, but it also didn't stop me from pointing out the flaws I see in Apple's products.

The better server farm to handle these orders I think is what made it sell out so fast. I remember when I preordered iPhone 4, the servers were down at 12am, down at 7am, down at 12pm, and then up for about 30 mins around 4pm. There was a flurry of FaceBook updates with all my friends preordering at the same time I got through as well. With this new system in place, they reserve a phone for you even if they can't get through to the carrier servers. Boom, less downtime, more phones reserved. I think the only reason Apple wouldn't have more phones than the 4S launch is because of the timing they needed the launch to be within: before the end of their 4th quarter.

We'll all know soon enough, either on Monday if Apple deigns us with the info, or in late October in their quarterly conference call. It will be very very good news.

As for this phone not being as technologically innovative as it should have been, what should've been added?! A barometer like some Android phones, so you can be a storm-tracker. Smartphones have come to the point where they are feature-rich now. There is no more truly revolutionary tech that can be added to these phones, hence incremental updates. Unless you can think of some revolutionary tech that no one else can think of? At this point, it comes down to build quality and software. Apple is #1 in build quality and attention to detail, and they like to flaunt it (to the chagrin of some of us). Samsung, HTC, Motorola, and Nokia made some great phones as well. And Apple's software is solid and stable as well, matching feature for feature other phones with popular features in an easy-of-use way. I think they play catch-up with some features because they want to get it right the first time as much as possible.

Anyway, I'm rambling now, move along.

• Reply 45 of 162

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You don't know what "/s" means?

Technically, shouldn't it be </s> for the "end sarcasm" tag?

</s>

• Reply 46 of 162

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by DethByUngaBunga View Post

Bring on the iPad mini, smart fingerprint tech, and whatever secret TV project is cooking - and let the haters hate.

I don't see how any of those ideas fit anywhere or are evident due to the iPhone's success. 

If I were to guess, the iPhone (5, 4S and 4) and the new iPods will sustain high volume sales through December.

New iPad Mini and a tweaked iPad 3 will add additional high volume for the tablet category through December.

An iMac, Mac Mini, AppleTV and Airport upgrade will be just frosting on the cake.

• Reply 47 of 162

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiedoc View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You don't know what "/s" means?

Technically, shouldn't it be </s> for the "end sarcasm" tag?

</s>

Yeah, but you need to be careful entering complete markup tags into a site that includes its own markup tags... so, the /s shorthand.

• Reply 48 of 162

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

If I were to guess, the iPhone (5, 4S and 4) and the new iPods will sustain high volume sales through December.

New iPad Mini and a tweaked iPad 3 will add additional high volume for the tablet category through December.

An iMac, Mac Mini and Airport upgrade will be just frosting on the cake.

OMG, if Apple can push out new iMacs and Mac Minis, FY01/13 is going to be huge. But if they could manage to get out a smaller iPad as well, I don't think there's enough money on the planet for the Apple sponge to soak up.

I'm not exaggerating, I don't think there's enough discretionary income in the market for too many products at one time. I think Apple will hold off any iPad announcements/releases until at least January, if not March as normal.

• Reply 49 of 162
    This is likely why Apple doesn't publish their sales numbers.

Who would buy a smartphone without:

1.5 GHz dual-core Krait
    2 GB RAM
    Super AMOLED HD Plus PenTile display
    microSDXC
    MHL-HDMI Micro-USB On-The-Go (No Android-based smartphone vendor would ever make a proprietary connector like a MHL-HDMI adapter)
    Replaceable Battery
    NFC

A company needs at least 160 models to be successful. No company could possibly garner 18.8% of the worldwide smartphone market without hundreds of models. Three models just isn't sufficient to be competitive. Mark my words, iPhone 5 will be the last smartphone ever produced by Apple. Actually, Apple never produced smartphones. Who would call the Apple iPhone a smartphone without all those must have features. No one would possibly buy that.

Geez.

All you Apple sheep act as though Apple can do no wrong. From reading the comments, one would think that:

[URL=http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/09/22/apples_iphone_has_89_retention_rate_next_nearest_hardware_is_htc_at_39.html]Apple has the highest customer retention[/URL]
    [URL=http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/07/apples_iphone_tops_jd_power_satisfaction_survey_for_8th_straight_time.html]Apple has the highest customer satisfaction amongst smartphone vendors[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.squaretrade.com/cell-phone-comparison-study-nov-10]Apple has the best smartphone reliability[/URL]
    Apple offers the most secure commercial operating systems

Who would want a elegant, reliable, secure smartphone with a highly responsive and intuitive user interface. Who wants a static user interface that never changes. My Android-based smartphone constantly changes, so much so that sometimes I need 3 minutes to find an app I just used. The constantly changing user interface dramatically improves the battery as well since I change batteries every two hours. You Apple sheep are all fools.

Baaa
  • Reply 50 of 162
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Ordered m black 32GB AT
  • Reply 51 of 162

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

Quote:

ts 

An iMac, Mac Mini and Airport upgrade will be just frosting on the cake.

OMG, if Apple can push out new iMacs and Mac Minis, FY01/13 is going to be huge. But if they could manage to get out a smaller iPad as well, I don't think there's enough money on the planet for the Apple sponge to soak up.

I'm not exaggerating, I don't think there's enough discretionary income in the market for too many products at one time. I think Apple will hold off any iPad announcements/releases until at least January, if not March as normal.

The iMacs and Minis target consumers, prosumers and business -- as do the iPads, AppleTV and Airports (to some extent).   For many  businesses the budget cycle for next year is still open.  Final Cut Pro X [should be] is ready to drop a new release and it exploits Apple hardware better than any other software -- it can use whatever RAM, SSSD, CPU, GPU you throw at it.   There should be no hardware or software barrier to new iMacs or Minis.  A standalone 27" Thunderbolt Retina Display would satisfy any high end video demands.

It's nice being in the catbird seat!

• Reply 52 of 162

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

But isn't is supposed to be a disappointment?

Well, maybe in Trollistan, or Trollvania.

About as disappointing as a lame joke that refuses to die.

• Reply 53 of 162

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

Uh oh, you know what this means. Apple intentionally shorted the inventory so that they could make this claim.

/s

The funny thing is people claimed that about Nintendo and the Wii. Clearly they didn't go to stores and see the hordes of people looking daily for the system for the first 2 years it was out. It was always sold out no matter how they raised production. Yes I noticed the sarcasm tag :)

• Reply 54 of 162
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

Quote:

An iMac, Mac Mini, AppleTV and Airport upgrade will be just frosting on the cake.

The naked lady jumping out of the cake would be for Apple to announce a deal with China Mobile to sell the iPhone 5, starting before the Lunar New Year in Feb 2013.

• Reply 55 of 162
    quinney wrote: »

The naked lady jumping out of the cake would be for Apple to announce a deal with China Mobile to sell the iPhone 5, starting before the Lunar New Year in Feb 2013.

Excellent point! This could happen anytime... The best timing would be just when supply starts to catch up with demand... whenever that occurs.
  • Reply 56 of 162
    ssquirrel wrote: »
    The funny thing is people claimed that about Nintendo and the Wii. Clearly they didn't go to stores and see the hordes of people looking daily for the system for the first 2 years it was out. It was always sold out no matter how they raised production. Yes I noticed the sarcasm tag :)

That makes me wonder. What's worse: Apple fanbois vs Fandroids or Nintendo fanbois vs Playstation vs Xbox? They're all fanatical and irrational, but I feel the gamer fanbois are more irrational and hostile.

Note: fanboi != loyal fan
  • Reply 57 of 162

Quote:

Yeah, but you need to be careful entering complete markup tags into a site that includes its own markup tags... so, the /s shorthand.

Let the world burn. :)

• Reply 58 of 162
    ssquirrel wrote: »

That makes me wonder. What's worse: Apple fanbois vs Fandroids or Nintendo fanbois vs Playstation vs Xbox? They're all fanatical and irrational, but I feel the gamer fanbois are more irrational and hostile.

Note: fanboi != loyal fan

I haven't got the whole "fan" thing worked out...

But I think that I can define a "troll"

A troll is someone who puts himself on his own ignore list... Something akin to biting bubbles in the bathtub.
  • Reply 59 of 162

If Apple truly thought they had supply constraints going into this launch, they wouldn't have launched in so many countries at once.  They would have staggered the iPhone 5 rollout as they've done with models in the past, likely concentrating on countries where their profit margins are highest, until sufficient supply became available to meet demand in the launch countries.  Only then would they fold new countries into the mix.

The fact they opened broad and immediately sold out indicates Apple truly, severely underestimated demand for this thing.  Which is a problem I suppose, but not the worst problem in the world to have.  I'm sure Samesung wishes they had that problem...

• Reply 60 of 162

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Thought I'd just add that the iPhone 5 is probably just a success because it stole Android's notification center.

;-)

How true!  The number one Android attempt at a comeback.