Help!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014

Okay, I just bought this cheap ass eMachines monitor from a local computer store. I have a MBA mid-2011 (only 2 USB and one Thunderbolt). The monitor is a VGA interface, but, my MBA doesn't have a VGA port (obviously). So...I asked the guy if he had any VGA to Mini-Displayport/Thunderbolt, he said no. But, he said that they have DVI to Thunderbolt and VGA to DVI. So now I have a VGA monitor with a VGA to DVI adapter and a DVI to Thunderbolt adapter. I plug it in and...it doesn't work! It just says "no input". Big surprise (I have bad luck with everything I do with any electronics, including lightbulbs)! So I try it with my mother's Dell Inspirion (it has a VGA port)...and... ... ... ...it works! But since I don't use that computer I don't care. Since I am not using the VGA to DVI adapter this time, I assume it is that [that doesn't work]. But I don't know what to assume. I really need help!

Thanks,

Logan

You can iMessage me about this a [email protected]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2

I don't believe that Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapters would preserve the analog signal needed. You're gonna need a straight Mini DisplayPort-VGA one.

• Reply 2 of 2

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't believe that Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapters would preserve the analog signal needed. You're gonna need a straight Mini DisplayPort-VGA one.

Nevermind. I got a new one with just DVI.