hard drive upgrade

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hello,

i've got a powerbook g3 400mhz and upgraded the original drive to a toshiba 20 gig mk2016gap model.

this drive is terribly slow and or may have problems. it seems to constantly need to stop and think before it seeks (when it is active). i can hear it click around for a second. this occurs every 10 seconds or so when performing disk heavy tasks.

anyone know of this? more importantly, is there a fix to it or should i invest in a new hard drive? if so, what is a good model?

thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    what OS are you running ?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    i'm running os 9.2. i have 10 installed but it never is stable.

i'm holding off on a new powerbook so i need to make this one better. the drive is quite annoying.

think of it as constant hesitation.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Hmm. I just went to <a href="http://www.xlr8yourmac.com"; target="_blank">www.xlr8yourmac.com</a> and I checked the drive compatibility database. All the Toshiba MK2016GAP models were fine, but someone mentioned that there was a whine that developed over time. I would suggest going to that website for more help, it's a great place for all sorts of hardware support.

Sounds like you need a new drive... get this one replaced under warranty if you can, it seems fine (all the reviews were favorable).