Can you transfer a Word document from the new OS X to Win?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm a complete and utter n00bie at anything that has to do with Apple since I just decided to get myself an iBook and thus switch from pc to Mac. I want to know if I can write a word document on the iBook and then finish it up at school on a pc running Win(versions 95 and up). I'm sure this question has been asked before and may in fact bother some due to its simplicity, but I would really appreciate an answer. Thanks ahead of time, n00bie in training.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Yes, Word documents are interchangeable between Mac's and PC's (provided you actually have Word on the Mac.)

If you don't have Office v.X/Word for the Mac, you can always save as RTF.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    If you don't have Office v.X/Word for the Mac, you can always save as RTF.[/QB][/QUOTE]

RTF?(don't know what that is) So either way, no matter what I can open and re-edit a Works or Word document from Mac to Win right?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    real text format ?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    Rich text format.

It's an application and platform independent file format that preserves some (but not all) formatting etc.

You shouldn't need to resort to this as Word documents are fully interchangeable between Word on the Mac and Word on the PC. I believe the latest version of AppleWorks can also read from and write to Word documents. I don't think Word can read or write AppleWorks documents though, so make sure you transfer documents to the PC as .doc or .rtf files.

[ 12-01-2002: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 8
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    [quote]Originally posted by RodUK:

<strong>I believe the latest version of AppleWorks can also read from and write to Word documents.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

yes, it can.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Thank you very much all who have repplied so promptly. God you Apple people are so nice!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    [quote]Originally posted by HritzFromCupertino:

<strong>RTF?(don't know what that is) So either way, no matter what I can open and re-edit a Works or Word document from Mac to Win right?</strong><hr></blockquote>

You can if the app you are using supports word files (like AppleWorks) or if you have MacLinkPlus 13.

[ 12-01-2002: Message edited by: Spart ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 8
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,563member
    You might need to be a little cautious about fonts. If the font you started with is not available on the PC it could hiccup a little. Probably it will just substitute something else. Also, some Mac and PC fonts with the same name are a little different. Probably won't cause any problem unless you are worried about precise text alignment.