Much Ado About Little

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

I have to agree that the piling on regarding Apple Maps seems to be primarily the same old  'build 'em up and tear 'em down' media behavior, fueled by some snarky bloggers and Google fans...

My favorite is the person quoted in the Wall Street Journal complaining how Apple's new Maps apps 'took away' the Street View feature provided by Google Maps...  That, of course, is a complete fabrication - a lie...  Street View has never been offered on any iOS device - iPhone or iPads - there was nothing to take away...  Of course, it was too much for the WSJ reporter to actually check a fact - who knows who this 'victim' actually was...  My guess is someone who had an interest, financial or otherwise, in bashing Apple...  Sadly, snarky gossip is always easier to produce than fact-checked journalism...

In Apple Maps, do some college campuses show up without buiding profiles and labels?  Sure.  Is that a fatal flaw?  Not to me...  Those will appear over time...  Do freeway overpasses and landscaping in flyover mode often look weird? Sure. Do I care?  Nope.

In the meantime, anyone who wants to can still run Google Maps in Safari on iPhones - I have both on my iPhone, yet I find myself gravitating toward Apple Maps, for the graphics quality, dynamic labeling, visual clarity and speed...

Let's check back in, about a year from now, and see whose mapping platform has advanced the most...

In the meantime, all of this drama deserves a big yawn...