ABC News uses iCloud to track a stolen iPad to TSA officer's home

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
An investigation into frequent thefts at American airport security screening checkpoints resulted in a stolen iPad being tracked to a TSA officer's home, using Apple's 'Find My Phone' iCloud service.

In a sting operation conducted by Brian Ross of ABC News, iPads and cash were left behind in airport security checkpoints.

In nine of the ten airports visited, passengers were asked to return to pick up their belongings, which were clearly labeled with their name and contact information.

However, after an iPad went missing in Orlando, the news organization tracked it back to the home of TSA officer Andy Ramirez, where reporters confronted the man and asked him if he had it. He repeatedly said he did not have it.

The reporters then set off iCloud's audible alert, which began ringing inside Ramirez's house. Only after taking off his TSA uniform did he return and acknowledge that he did in fact have it, but he continued to insist that he did not take it, initially blaming his wife for obtaining it.

"I'm so embarrassed," Ramirez told reporters. "My wife says she got the iPad and brought it home," he said.

When told he was filmed handling the iPad at airport security, and that it was tracked back to his home afterward, Ramirez stopped talking.

The TSA said Ramirez is no longer working for the agency. It noted that it has fired 11 officers for theft this year, and a total of 381 dating back to 2003.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    Go iCloud. Go Apple. ...when only the very best will do.
  • Reply 2 of 58
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Quote:

The reporters then set off iCloud's audible alert, which began ringing inside Ramirez's house.

Best part of the whole article image

• Reply 3 of 58
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Whenever I fly and have to go through those security checkpoints, I don't let the trays with my stuff in them out of my view for a single second. I walk through at the same exact pace that my trays are passing through the machine. I don't trust any of those people.

Last time I needed a tray for an iPad, a tray for a Macbook and a tray for a knapsack. I left a wireless Apple keyboard in the knapsack.

After the trays all passed through the x-ray machines, they said that they were suspicious of my Apple keyboard and I had to take it out of the bag to show them that the image that confused the woman watching the x-ray machine wasn't actually explosives or something, but it was just the batteries inside of the Apple keyboard. 

I also read about a new rule from the TSA stating that iPads do not have to be taken out of bags anymore, but laptops do. Apparently the TSA geniuses at the airport that I visited didn't get that memo yet.

• Reply 4 of 58
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Articles abound about people tracking their lost or stolen iDevices. You see them every day in news reports. How stupid does a thief have to be to NOT know the devices can be tracked? 

• Reply 5 of 58
    This idiot didn't even attempt to wipe it? Geez.

Not that in condoning theft..seriously.
  • Reply 6 of 58
    oh ya does an android have this!?!?!? lol
  • Reply 7 of 58
    It's still sad how the guy lost his job over this sting operation and his poor wife trying to cover for him but to no avail...

This may stop people from taking iPads but they will continue to take other things.
  • Reply 8 of 58
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

So which maps version was that?

5 or 6.

• Reply 9 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

It's still sad how the guy lost his job over this sting operation and his poor wife trying to cover for him but to no avail...

This may stop people from taking iPads but they will continue to take other things.

So how much other stuff had he taken over the time of his employment?

Businesses should not tolerate thieves stealing from customers, it's bad for business, unless you're an investment bank of course, where the Government rewards you with hand outs.

• Reply 10 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

This idiot didn't even attempt to wipe it? Geez.

Has anybody ever claimed that idiots and thieves were particularly smart?

This criminal douchebag would risk his entire job and salary just to steal something that costs around $500?

Smart move.image Granted, it's probably not the first thing that the douchebag has stolen.

• Reply 11 of 58
    The "Find My $49 Nexus Tablet" feature just links you to a website that tries to sell you a new plastic tablet.
  • Reply 12 of 58
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding why it's sad. If I caught an employee stealing customers' goods, I'd fire him on the spot, too.
  • Reply 13 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The "Find My $49 Nexus Tablet" feature just links you to a website that tries to sell you a new plastic tablet.

I think that most Android users can safely write their home addresses and phone number on the backside of their devices.

After a day or two with the device, any self respecting thief would realize what a humongous blunder they had committed and they would do anything within their power to return it to the original owner as quickly as humanly possible.

• Reply 14 of 58
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

I can tell you from experience that Swiss army knives disappear routinely in checked luggage

• Reply 15 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Businesses should not tolerate thieves stealing from customers, it's bad for business, unless you're an investment bank of course, where the Government rewards you with hand outs.

True, especially because it is that same government who has an agency that was supposed to monitor those investment banks.

• Reply 16 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding why it's sad. If I caught an employee stealing customers' goods, I'd fire him on the spot, too.

Sad in that this person would risk his job over an iPad.  I agree it was probably not the first time he has stolen from passengers, but at least it was his last.  In the airport anyway.

• Reply 17 of 58
    As someone who does this exact job (in a different country) I don't understand how anyone thinks they can get away with this. With the 100 plus cameras watching you at all times the TSA can see you at all times from all angles and you as an employee know they are there.

9 times out of 10 its other passengers who steal and in my airports case most of the time they get caught. There are a few times that i know of where other employees have tried to take stuff the have been caught, fired and a few times criminally charged like they should be.

these are the same people who can't understand why the public hates us
  • Reply 18 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I can tell you from experience that Swiss army knives disappear routinely in checked luggage

My friend can attest that his smokes are routinely taken out of his bag as well.

• Reply 19 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Hand grenades too, whats the go with that?

It's supposed to be hand luggage.

/s

• Reply 20 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

My friend can attest that his smokes are routinely taken out of his bag as well.

If you go to Indonesia, a bottle of scotch will disappear and they don't look any further.