OFFICIAL: Photosmart drivers are BAD for Jaguar!!!!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Just got this note from Hewlett Packard. Can anybody tell me how to UNINSTALL the drivers without the original installer?? (the link to the "workaround" doesn't go anywhere at this time)

ISSUE: When the driver for any of these products is installed on Mac OS X v.10.2.2, overall system performance will continually degrade over time. Under certain conditions, a "kernel panic" may result, forcing a restart.

Affected products include: Photosmart printers, Scanjet scanners, as well as PSC and Officejet all-in-one devices. HP Deskjet printers are not affected by this issue.

SOLUTION: Apple and HP have identified the causes of the incompatibility and are working closely together on a solution at this time.

WORKAROUND: Click here to link to BPM30190, HP Products - Mac OS X v 10.2.2: Potential Workaround for HP Product Incompatibility

SUMMARY: When using Mac OS X v.10.2.2, only uninstalling the HP driver will return system performance to previous levels. Restarting the computer or reinstalling the driver will not fix the issue.

Using HP Photosmart, Scanjet scanner, PSC, and Officejet all-in-one products with earlier versions of Mac OS X (for example, Mac OS X v.10.2.1) will not produce this behavior.

NOTE: Please refer to this page for further updates.

<a href="http://h20000.www2.hp.co"; target="_blank">http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpm30189</a>;

[ 12-07-2002: Message edited by: drewprops ]

[ 12-07-2002: Message edited by: drewprops ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    They installed .kexts, didn't they? Is it even necessary to use .kexts for this functionality? Wouldn't HP be better off using something a wee bit less volatile for printer drivers? I would bet that even if there is a better way, they will write revised kernel extensions, risking the same sort of thing all over again. But that's the cynic in me talking.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    You know, I don't exactly know WHAT got installed with this driver....and I don't really know what .kext's are either..."kernel extensions"? Woof.

I -do- know that the OS X version of the Photosmart drivers lack a LOT of the functionality of the OS X version.

My system's been a little kooky, but I never suspected that the print driver might be to blame. Just going to the Print Center won't serve to totally uninstall all of the Photosmart drivers will it?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    they linked the workaround wrong.

go <a href="http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpm30190"; target="_blank">here</a> for assistance.

HTH
  • Reply 4 of 4
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Thanks Defiant!

I'm not sure if I'm suffering with the typical symptoms of this bug, but I have noticed my iBook getting funky over the course of the day. I noticed that MacFixit had a report about this as well....

Hope other folks can find this information helpful!

D