iPhone 4 - Siri spoke to us (note, not 4S)

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

Due to some problems with my old iPhone 4, recently the Apple store replaced it with a new one. One time, when it was doing something weird, I turned to hand it to my husband. As I did so, 4 of us hear Siri speak briefly - just 2 syllables, which we did not catch. As both of us had our hands on the unit, there is no way we can know what buttons may have been touched.

So, is it possible the newer iPhone 4 models are really 4S models with some switches turned off?  If so, could a talented hacker turn a 4 into a 4S?

Now, I am not even adept, far less able to jailbreak, hack or otherwise manhandle technology. But I'm curious. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3

Originally Posted by teellbee View Post

As I did so, 4 of us hear Siri speak briefly - just 2 syllables, which we did not catch. 

Speakable items, not Siri.

So, is it possible the newer iPhone 4 models are really 4S models with some switches turned off?  If so, could a talented hacker turn a 4 into a 4S?

No. No.

You have an iPhone 4.

• Reply 2 of 3

Well, honestly, I know I have an iPhone 4, and I'll be happy with that until I get my iPhone 5 in a couple of months.

The point of my post was that 4 people heard what sounded like Siri's voice. Which is just weird, is it not? I was simply speculating on a possible cause.

• Reply 3 of 3
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    The same voice used for Voice Control on the iPhone 4 is the same voice used for Siri on the iPhone 4S. You probably activated Voice Control somehow.....like holding down the Home button.