How I Got a Free Upgrade from 300MB to 3GB Data (AT&T)

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

Long-time reader, first-time poster here.

I've had the 3G, 4, and now 5 on AT&T. Regrettably, I downgraded from unlimited to the cheapest data plan 2 years ago to save money. With LTE, I wanted that to change.

I had no intention of canceling, but I called AT&T and went directly to cancellation support. All I said I said was the following:

"I've been a loyal customer and like AT&T, but I wish I hadn't gotten rid of my unlimited plan. Given that Straight Talk uses your network and costs $45/mth for unlimited everything, why wouldn't I either return the phone and buy an unlocked one or pay the ETF and move to ST?"

"I have a hidden promotional plan that will never expire for you since you don't use all of your 450 anytime minutes. If we downgrade you to 300 minutes, I could cut your voice plan by $10 to offset an upgrade to 3GB for an extra $10. Therefore, no change to your monthly bill." Boom: 3GB for $20 forever.

If you haven't requested a refund for your upgrade fee as well, I'd encourage you to read that thread. Very simple as I did it over AT&T chat. I also got them to waive a data overage charge.

Cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3

Hmm. Sounds like they don't get any sort of raw end in this deal, but at least you don't, either. As long as you're okay with only 300 minutes. 

I wonder if Verizon would be as amicable… 

• Reply 2 of 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hmm. Sounds like they don't get any sort of raw end in this deal, but at least you don't, either. As long as you're okay with only 300 minutes.

Data > Voice = Me > Them

I barely use voice, but use data, so this is a win for me.  Data is more valuable to carriers.

I suppose free isn't totally true, but I think the majority of owners don't come close to using all of their minutes, so this is why I posted it.

• Reply 3 of 3

Quote:

If you haven't requested a refund for your upgrade fee as well, I'd encourage you to read that thread. Very simple as I did it over AT&T chat.

Spill the details....link?

Update: I went ahead and tried to chat with AT&T myself. Told them I was a long-time customer and that I had been told other AT&T customers were getting their $36 upgrade fees refunded. He went ahead and credited our account the full $72+tax for two upgrade fees. We bought the phones on the first day of pre-order and received them on Sept 21. So it doesn't seem to matter when you ask them for a credit on your account.