Japan's Softbank in talks to take over US carrier Sprint - report

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
One of Japan's largest mobile operators, Softbank, is said to be in talks to buy Sprint Nextel Corp, the third-largest cellular provider in the U.S.

Softbank reportedly seeks to purchase two-thirds of Sprint, giving it control of the company, Bloomberg reported on Thursday. The details apparently come from two people familiar with the discussions.

Softbank may spend spend more than $19 billion, or 1.5 trillion yen, according to Japan's Nikkei newspaper, which did not say where it learned the price.

A potential deal is seen as an opportunity for Softbank to enter the U.S. market by buying out a compatible carrier. Both Softbank in Japan and Sprint in the U.S. use wireless equipment made by Ericsson AB of Sweden.

Sprint

Sprint inked a deal with Apple last year to begin offering the iPhone to its customers. Reports indicated the company pledged to purchase 30.5 million total iPhones over a four-year span, a commitment of nearly $20 billion that was characterized as a move that "bet the company" on Apple.

Prior to offering the iPhone, Sprint saw a massive subscriber exodus to market leaders Verizon and AT&T. The company also originally bet on WiMAX technology for its high-speed 4G data, but has since begun the switch to LTE. Apple's latest iPhone 5 offers high-speed data over LTE and is not compatible with WiMAX.

In July, Sprint revealed that the iPhone played a major part in bringing new customers to the carrier. In all, 40 percent of iPhone sales in the June quarter were to new postpaid customers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    And I still can't get LTE coverage from SoftBank here in Southern Ibaraki. Wow! Good to know where SoftBank's priorities are!
  • Reply 2 of 8
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

As a Sprint customer, my only real concern is that if they do get bought out by the Japanese that our new overlords maintain our unlimited data plans :)

• Reply 3 of 8

Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

As a Sprint customer, my only real concern is that if they do get bought out by the Japanese that our new overlords maintain our unlimited data plans :)

Hey, it's Japan. The country's built around ubiquitous data. The very thought of a cap is foreign to them (and good on them for that).

Here are Softbank's plans for people on the archipelago. I seriously doubt they'd offer anything BUT unlimited plans here if this went through.

Tethering to SEVEN GIGS, unlimited if you don't tether. It pains me to say this, but that's a pretty sweet deal. Pains because I shouldn't have to be saying that at all…

• Reply 4 of 8
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Their pricing is in line with Sprint as well.  The 6755 yen figure assumes you have to add those 3 numbers up to reach the total cost of your phone plan.

5460 yen = $69.53

6755 yen = $86.04

• Reply 5 of 8

Seems like a good fit. Perhaps they'll even throw in a bid for T-Mobile! Not mentioned here are the latest bits of speculation that suggest Clearwire may also be part of a Sprint acquisition. At any rate, anything that gooses CLWR's share price is a welcome development in my book.

• Reply 6 of 8
    It's good to know. I was thinking about switching to Sprint, and getting my family iPhone 5s. Now, I will delay that. I don't want to be locked into another Jap company!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member

• Reply 8 of 8
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hey, it's Japan. The country's built around ubiquitous data. The very thought of a cap is foreign to them (and good on them for that).

Here are Softbank's plans for people on the archipelago. I seriously doubt they'd offer anything BUT unlimited plans here if this went through.

Tethering to SEVEN GIGS, unlimited if you don't tether. It pains me to say this, but that's a pretty sweet deal. Pains because I shouldn't have to be saying that at all…

This must be new because they never had free tethering included before. That's why I never bothered to look at the new deals for the iPhone 5. I'll have to look into this as it is the only reason I JB. They used to screw you over and force you to buy a completely separate contract for your iPad. So you'd be paying two cell bills very month. I wonder what the point of putting a 7GB limit is. I don't think you're going to come close to that and if you do it wont be much over.

Still I don't want to upgrade to the iP5 because I prefer the iP4/4S. My iP4 still looks brand new nude and is only milliseconds slower than the iP5. I tried it out and wasn't that impressed. Definitely upgrade with the iP5S/iP6 though.