What iPod needs to be....

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I've been looking at the new iPod's that Apple introduced and cannot for the life of me understand why Apple has released so similar products aimed at different customers. The only difference being the HD capacity, i think Apple needs to make it's MP3 player product more streamlined and distinct...... here's what i propose....

All the Pods need the following....

-voice recording to mp3(160kbps)

-some kind of cover for the ports on the top, i would hate to have rain or some other foreign object to get in there.

*iPod(consumer version)

-current enclosure.

-5GB HD

-FW

*PowerPod(Pro version)

-Titanium/quicksilver enclosure

-10GB HD

-FW and USB (either a port or a FW-USB converter) thus making the Pod more portable.

Thoughts ? Comments ? Suggestions ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    I don't think so.

I'd like the iPod to get cheaper, get bigger, gain more functionality (like the address book thing), and possibly integrate an ethernet port if anything (much more plausible.. USB would be worthless).
  • Reply 2 of 17
    A firewire microphone would be a welcome addition, even if it were optional. Apple should also include equipment for clipping the iPod to a belt or strapping it to one's body for excercising.

Above all, the iPod needs to come down in price. Apple's current promo is a great step in the right direction...offer cheaper iPods to new Mac buyers, but it still leaves those who already own a Mac out in the cold.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    They should have partnerships with recording companies to bundle songs as BTO options. Why?

1. Because I'd love to buy a mp3 player with every Beattle song already there. I'm old enough not to feel that the mere fact of ripping and burning is a form of entertainment.

2. Record companies would be getting some kickback from Apple and I wouldn't be bootlegging them.

3. The songs could be in a partition that couldn't be downloaded onto a desktop and thus "couldn't be copied" (wink)

4. The commercials would be killer!! "Hi we're Aerosmith and if you buy this...you get all of us!" "Hi I'm Eric Clapton and if you buy this...you get my 20 unplugged favorites." "Hi, I'm Mozart and with this you get all of my Eine Kleine Nacht Musik in one Eine Kleine iPod. War, Vienna!"

Okay maybe it is copywrite hell, but it would give content to the killer app of iTunes.

PS, I would also like choice in metal color and indiglo hues.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    by making those 2 different versions, you actually seem to clutter up the ipod line more....i don't find that ipod lineup cluttered.....one option-5 or 10 gig....nothing wrong with that

i don't think that would be a bad thing; i just see it the opposite way.

i don't think there is enough differentiation between the 2 models your propose. there aren't enough extra features to attract professional users. voice recording and a new case won't cut it.

the ipod as it is is marketed to consumers. the pro model you suggest wouldn't win enough professionals over.....try adding a couple more features that professionals could use; give them a reason to buy the pro model instead of the consumer model.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    I'd like to see a higher-end amplifier section on the iPod. Its already the only portable that supports uncompressed aiff files. But it uses very standard electronics in the output headphone section to save money and increase battery life. It also just won't drive good headphones well. Like Sennheisers and Grados. The little bud things are cute, but cute I don't care about. Or even allow higher end sampling formats for musicians on the go or whatever. iPod Pro?
  • Reply 6 of 17
    mqamqa Posts: 11member
    how about a remote control ala minidisc? thats the only thing i think that glaringly missing.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Wouldnt it be cool if you could plug in your iPod into a stereo/speakers and control it with a remote control ? a stereo replacement that fits in your pocket !!!!
  • Reply 8 of 17
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    [quote]Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:

<strong>Wouldnt it be cool if you could plug in your iPod into a stereo/speakers and control it with a remote control ? a stereo replacement that fits in your pocket !!!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

definitely needs a remote control. Bluetooth would be nice and you could listen to music on your cell phone headphones at work and pretend you were talking to someone.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    I am sure we will see a remote control soon. Probable a microphone soon after that. Apple's marketing guys are bright. This is their first big consumer device since the Newton and they have taken a page from the Sony Playstation model.

1. Release great product and sell tons of units.

2. Expand functionallity of great product and sell more

3. Release add ons to make great product greater and make money from add ons and additional sales

4. Repeat 2 and 3

You never alienate your early adopeters, in fact you thrill them with the fact what they thought was a good deal turns out to be even better. They then flock to buy the PS2 or in this case iPod2 several years later and bring all thier friends along too. Bravo Apple. I don't think we will see the base unit updated significantly for a long time, just price drops once the mini HD's are cheaper.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    jasonppjasonpp Posts: 308member
    #1 thing iPod could integrate to grab headlines would be bluetooth.

wireless headphones

wireless external hard drive (a slow one though)

wireless mic input

wireless Palm and PPC hard drive extension

etc, etc...
  • Reply 11 of 17
    My favorite part about my iPod is the easter egg on it.

I think Apple should put more games on it. It would be great to have more of those Atari classics that would lend themselves to the iPod controls.

Definitely some cool racing games like Spy Hunter (Although I believe such a game would require an increase in the iPod screen resolution).

Anyhow, just my 2 cents.

fernando
  • Reply 12 of 17
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Who's marvelous?
  • Reply 13 of 17
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    a LINE-IN, that's all i'd want additional to this superb unit

[which is why i'm not buying........... yet]
  • Reply 14 of 17
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    [quote]Originally posted by JasonPP:

<strong>#1 thing iPod could integrate to grab headlines would be bluetooth.

wireless headphones

wireless external hard drive (a slow one though)

wireless mic input

wireless Palm and PPC hard drive extension

etc, etc...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Wireless headphones suck, and Bluetooth-based wireless headphones, as it has been completely hashed out in several other threads, just are not plausible with the current speeds/throughput of Bluetooth. Maybe Apple could innovate a solution, but there is no point on banking on it.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    prestonpreston Posts: 219member
    to market the 'pod as a device for pro use, it would need to be geared to a content CREATOR. This would mean lots of inputs and connections to recording and MIDI equipment.

I think perhaps a better way to do this would be to have an intermediate device that could give you lots of ports that connected to the standard ipod and just used it's hard drive basically.

Pres
  • Reply 16 of 17
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    your second paragraph is probably your best chance...you aren't going to see the ipod with all kinds of connectors for audio creators use...i would not count on it at all.....

you would probalby only see another intermediary device come from a 3rd party manufacturer....apple is focusing on consumers, not audio pros/creators....don't hold your breath
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Huh. I really don't need any of that stuff on my iPod.

I use it for listening to music.