Moderator Behaviors

nhtnht
Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014


Are mods allowed to delete posts that do not violate forum rules because they don't like them?


 


We have been told that the only function of a global mod is to eliminate spam.   Not that they would use their mod privs to delete posts because they are getting called out and upset.

«1345678

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 160
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,217moderator
    nht wrote: »
    Are mods allowed to delete posts that do not violate forum rules because they don't like them?

    The posts should be on the topic of the thread. If they start to derail a thread then deleting them is in the best interests of the other forum members. It shouldn't be done in a way to make an argument one-sided though.
    nht wrote: »
    We have been told that the only function of a global mod is to eliminate spam.   Not that they would use their mod privs to delete posts because they are getting called out and upset.

    I can't help but think you are talking about something specific. Moderation includes editing/deleting spam or off-topic or rule-breaking posts. I doubt calling another member out is on-topic in any thread.
  • Reply 2 of 160
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,328member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nht View Post


    Are mods allowed to delete posts that do not violate forum rules because they don't like them?


     


    We have been told that the only function of a global mod is to eliminate spam.   Not that they would use their mod privs to delete posts because they are getting called out and upset.



     


    If you quit making personal allegations about other posters, in this case a mod but it makes no difference, then your posts will survive intact. 

  • Reply 3 of 160
    nhtnht Posts: 4,437member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post


     


    If you quit making personal allegations about other posters, in this case a mod but it makes no difference, then your posts will survive intact. 



     


    Personal allegations are made all the time...such and such is a fanboi, so and so is a troll...in fact this mod engages in that sort of activity.

  • Reply 4 of 160
    nhtnht Posts: 4,437member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post



    The posts should be on the topic of the thread. If they start to derail a thread then deleting them is in the best interests of the other forum members. It shouldn't be done in a way to make an argument one-sided though.


     


    If it's an infraction then make it an infraction.  Not a silent deletion.


     


    There are plenty of derails in every thread and in this case it was on topic.


     


    In any case, if a mod is in the middle of it, then typically they should punt it to another mod to deal with.  This is why many folks argue that mods shouldn't be posters.  The response has always been "all we do is delete spam".  Obviously this is not the case.  


     


    TS is childish enough to change my username from nht to nut in his responses.  That he went out and deleted one or two of my posts without even PM'ing me makes me wonder about other posts that went *poof*.  I've always ignored them as a server glitch but it's bullshit if a mod is deleting posts because he's upset.


     


    It's either an infraction or it ain't.  If it's not then it should be left alone.  


     


    If it's borderline then a PM warning can be sent.


     


    If you guys are actually here to "keep threads on topic" then you guys should stop being some of the ones derailing topics with snide comments.

  • Reply 5 of 160


    I have to kinda agree..  I said something that is apparently very true about TS and even after I edited the post to clean it up, it was deleted..  I am not impressed with the mods here and especially TS and his heavy handed moderation.

  • Reply 6 of 160


    Originally Posted by protaginets View Post

    I have to kinda agree..  I said something that is apparently very true about TS and even after I edited the post to clean it up, it was deleted.


     


    Both of your edits broke the rules. 


     



    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

    1. No personal attacks on members of AI.



    1. Profanity is allowed. Profanity for the sole purpose of profanity falls under rule 2 above (e.g., a whole post of nothing but profanity). Please practice moderation. Profanity against forum members is against rule #1.


     


    Pretty simple to get.

  • Reply 7 of 160


    My opinion was not a personal attack, it was an opinion on what I have seen on your posts.  And douchebag is not profanity.

  • Reply 8 of 160


    Originally Posted by protaginets View Post

    My opinion was not a personal attack, it was an opinion on what I have seen on your posts.  And douchebag is not profanity.


     


    Uh… huh… 

  • Reply 9 of 160
    nhtnht Posts: 4,437member

    Quote:


    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


     


    Pretty simple to get.



     


    What should be pretty simple to get is silent deletion of anything not actually spam by a mod who's involved in a thread is insidious.


     


    If it's an infraction, then make it an infraction.


     


    If not, leave it alone.


     


    If you're in the thick of it, let another mod decide.  


     


    I PM'd you regarding the name change in your reply and you completely blew me off.  I had to file a report and another mod had to fix your insult that you claim to be a spell check error. Whatever the cause you completely ignored my PM and my forum comment to fix it which any mature person would have done if it were an accident as you claim.


     


    You games are juvenile and tiresome.  If you want to insult me then come right out and do it.  If you want to mod my posts then generate the infraction.  But do it right.  Get another mod to come in and adjudicate.  They are going to favor you anyway so unless you're completely out of line it'll go your way.


     


    But this bullshit is stepping over the line.

  • Reply 10 of 160


    Gotta love a moderator with a god complex.

  • Reply 11 of 160


    Originally Posted by nht View Post


    I PM'd you regarding the name change in your reply and you completely blew me off.  I had to file a report and another mod had to fix your insult that you claim to be a spell check error. Whatever the cause you completely ignored my PM and my forum comment to fix it which any mature person would have done if it were an accident as you claim.



     


    Nope. I addressed it, specifically, on the forum itself, for everyone to see, not just you, so that you couldn't claim something that wasn't true. Like you are now. 






    Originally Posted by protaginets View Post

    Gotta love a moderator with a god complex.



     


    Once again, your argument is nonexistent for the reasons I stated above. Other users are free to read our rules and follow them. 

  • Reply 12 of 160


    My "argument" is self evident as I'm not the only one to notice you have a god complex and might not be a good choice as a moderator. 


     


    But hey, that's ok.  Every forum needs a bully.

  • Reply 13 of 160
    nhtnht Posts: 4,437member
    Nope. I addressed it, specifically, on the forum itself, for everyone to see, not just you, so that you couldn't claim something that wasn't true. Like you are now. 

    Bullshit. I didn't ask for an explanation. I asked that you FIX it. Which you did not and instead posted a long winded explanation and left it as is. Another mod fixed it.

    You didn't address it at all, you made bullshit excuses. If it was inadvertent as you claimed then simply posting "sorry, that was the spellchecker" AND fixing it would have "addressed" it with no fuss and no muss.

    The fact is that you never fixed it and given the time delay it is apparent you had no intention to do so.

    The fact is you deleted posts that do not violate forum guidelines and was not spam.

    Spin all you like but your behavior is childish and you are a bully on this forum.
  • Reply 14 of 160
    nhtnht Posts: 4,437member
    Well I was going to show the timeline of your actions but it seems the relevant posts no longer exists unless I'm looking in the wrong thread. Possible but search drew a blank too.

    Given that and given I've gotten no PMs I'm going to assume that the issue is closed and you get to keep doing what you've been doing without even a mild slap on the wrist.

    You're an asshole. I'd block you if I could but since I can't I guess I'll just have to put up with your bullshit.
  • Reply 15 of 160
    nht wrote: »
    We have been told that the only function of a global mod is to eliminate spam.

    I think you're referring to Mod territorial assignments - that routine modding gets handed to the local forum Mod(s). Unfortunately, local Mod assignments got misplaced in the transition - the Staff Page is blank today. It's supposed to look like this. We had to fix our assignment settings afterwards.

    I'm on staff at MacNN forums, where we got moved to huddler too. One of the other issues we ran into was few Mods checking in at any given time, due to dislike of the new platform. Which may be another reason for your complaint - TS might be the only Mod visiting regularly. Making it impractical to hand off cases. For various reasons, we tried no-modding for awhile. It wasn't pretty. I think you'd like it less than profanity-control modding.
  • Reply 16 of 160


    Originally Posted by reader50 View Post

    I think you're referring to Mod territorial assignments - that routine modding gets handed to the local forum Mod(s). Unfortunately, local Mod assignments got misplaced in the transition - the Staff Page is blank today. It's supposed to look like this. We had to fix our assignment settings afterwards.


     


    I don't think we ever had territorial mods here, did we? Oh, and how did you guys do that, then? I'd like to set up our accounts so that they operate like Huddler mod features should (I guess I can PM you about it). 






    I think you'd like it less than profanity-control modding.



     


    Huddler takes care of that for us, yeah? image

  • Reply 17 of 160
    Who is actually in charge of this forum? I need to discuss the chip on TS's shoulder.
  • Reply 18 of 160


    I like this thread. It's cathartic.

  • Reply 19 of 160


    Tallest Skil is a short fat kid with zits who likes to get off on telling little boys at Burger King that he is the GLOBAL MODERATOR. Amazing he can spell cathartic, even if he uses it incorrectly.


     


    I've stopped posting here because of the little zit and don't know of anyone who can stand him. See you all on macrumors.com.

  • Reply 20 of 160


    "1. No personal attacks on members of AI."


     


    Wow. If this rule was enforced across the board, some mods would not have an account here anymore...  But yeah. Being a mod is a hard job, specially if you partake in posting and offering your own opinions.


     


    But some mods here, lol, don't even TRY to come across as a mod, using personal attacks as a regular writing style....

Sign In or Register to comment.