dual display & gaming

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
i got a GF4MX64 running two displays. i (kinda) know that the video memory is then split to both displays in 2D, uh, mode. when i play a 3D game (e.g. Q3, RtCW), i must choose one display to play the game on.

sooo, my question is, am i not using all my video memory for playing 3D games cuz of my dual display setup? and/or is that possible problem in the software (OS) or the hardware (GF4 card)?

(running QS dual 1GHz G4 1.5GB RAM on 10.2.2, btw.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    you're only using half of your RAM.

this is not a bug, it's a feature.

correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by gerardiki:

<strong>i got a GF4MX64 running two displays. i (kinda) know that the video memory is then split to both displays in 2D, uh, mode. when i play a 3D game (e.g. Q3, RtCW), i must choose one display to play the game on.

sooo, my question is, am i not using all my video memory for playing 3D games cuz of my dual display setup? and/or is that possible problem in the software (OS) or the hardware (GF4 card)?

(running QS dual 1GHz G4 1.5GB RAM on 10.2.2, btw.)</strong><hr></blockquote>

You should be able to play Q3 using both displays... But that divides what's directly infront of you over both displays... which is kind of annoying... One good reason for 3 displays... if you are going to be doing multi-head gaming...

Try running Google Searches, and checking other serious video card junkies like Tom's Hardware for the best, most informed answer...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by greg123:

<strong>

You should be able to play Q3 using both displays... But that divides what's directly infront of you over both displays... which is kind of annoying... One good reason for 3 displays... if you are going to be doing multi-head gaming...

Try running Google Searches, and checking other serious video card junkies like Tom's Hardware for the best, most informed answer...</strong><hr></blockquote>

ahhh k. i knew that it wasn't a bug, just wanted to know if some games were smart enough to get that split up memory backo. as far as dual monitor gaming, i never thought of THAT. will begin multi-headed gaming search now.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    In OS 9, the video memory was split 32-32 no matter what. In OS X it is split up as needed depending on which display needs more RAM. This feature allows you to watch a DVD on one monitor and browse the internet on the other with no glitches in DVD playback.