G4 boots to OF - reset-nvram+reset-all no go - DEFAULT CATCH! - help needed stat!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Now I've really done it.

I have a Dual 500 with 3 hard drives in it. 1 has my OS and apps on it, and the other two are a RAID mirror with my data (I have had some real bad luck with drives failing).

So I update to 10.2.3 and fiddle around and notice my RAID array isn't in sync. So I try to rebuild. It hangs on "updating" something or other.

So I force a reboot (disk utility won't force quit and I can't shut the machine down at all). Try again and everything looks like it is going ok - disks are syncing back up (long process as anyone who has done this knows). I come back after a couple hours and notice it seems to be hung at 31 minutes left. I leave it another hour - definitely hung there.

Ok, same deal - can't restart the machine so I force restart it. Go into my control panels and check to make sure the 'spin down hard drives' is off - it is. The machine is set to sleep at 1 hour - I set it to never.

Start syncing again - looking good. I come back a couple hours later - stuck at 31 minutes again. Leave it a long time - definitely hung.

This machine has had problems sleeping for a long time, and also has been spinning down the hard disks even though it is not supposed to (I find the mirror sometimes spun down).

So I figure I will be smart and really zap the crap out of the PRAM. I do it normal with the startup keys, and then I boot into open firmware and do the reset-nvram and reset-all trick (I just read about this on Apple's knowledge base - was looking at Open firmware issues on another machine).

I think I totally screwed this thing up though - instead of just doing 'reset-nvram' and 'reset-all' I used 'setenv reset-nvram' and 'setenv reset-all'.

It did not automatically reboot like it is supposed to when done correctly (duh).

So I used shut-down and then booted back up manually. Now I can only boot into OF - the first line says:

DEFAULT CATCH!, code=300 at %SRR0: ff809128 %SRR1: 0000b030

I can use mac-boot and it tries to boot and gives me:

DEFAULT CATCH!, code=700 at %SRR0: ff80bf70 %SRR1: 0000b030

reset-nvram followed by reset-all does restart the machine like it is supposed to, but only boots back to OF with that first DEFAULT CATCH! message.

I can boot with a CD and I ran disk repair and repaired permissions on the system disk - all now show as fine. Still won't go beyond OF.

Help?

[ 12-20-2002: Message edited by: The Pie Man ]

[ 12-20-2002: Message edited by: The Pie Man ]</p>