eliminate Users folder?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm the only one who uses my TiBook. Is there a way to eliminate the Users folder and just have all that stuff (Documents, Music, Desktop folder, etc.) in the first level of my hard drive? It just seems redundant if I'm the only user.

i.e.: I'd like my Home to be the first level of my HD, rather than buried in the Users folder under my user name.

I'm cleaning off my HD, reinstalling Jaguar, and want to make everything as streamlined as possible.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but would appreciate any help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    BAD idea, for one thing, if no other reason...

Your personal Library folder (~/Library) and the machine level Library (/Library) would conflict, and you can't rename one of them.

Sorry...

[ 12-21-2002: Message edited by: Kickaha ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 7
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Well you could just log in as root user all the time, but that is a Bad Thing as you can easily hose your system. Besides, whats wrong with opening home instead of the computer under finder preferences?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by chych:

<strong>whats wrong with opening home instead of the computer under finder preferences?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Just being anal--don't see the point of nesting my Documents folder (and the other folders) in Users-&gt;username, when it could just be on the HD.

Maybe I'm too used to OS 9.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Logging in as root isn't going to clean up his filesystem, which was, I believe, the point. And, as you point out, it brings other issues into play.

Definitely a Bad Idea.

josephg, I'm afraid you're out of luck on this one. You can move /Users to another partition, you can even move individual accounts pretty much anywhere you want... but moving an account to / is basically impossible, AFAICT, due to the Library conflict.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    But having a logical filing structure would not be what Steve wants... and what Steve wants, Steve gets.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Kickaha is right.

Whether you personally use the multiple users functionality or not, the system is still designed for it. In fact, right now your system is running processes as multiple users. There is your own user that you login as but then the system uses root, daemon, unknown, and various others to run and manage certain tasks.

Sorry, but this is something you'll just need to learn to use.

It's a bit more complicated than what Luca Rescigno is implying.

[ 12-21-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quite a bit more complicated, actually.

MacOS X is a different beast than 9 was, at a very fundamental level. Comparing how the two work under the hood is useless... but very little of how X works in the guts is due to what Jobs may or may not want.