Apple sells out of launch day supply of fourth-gen iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Four days after it began taking preorders, Apple has sold out of its initial supply of fourth-generation iPad units from its online store.

Sold out

New orders for all models of the latest full-size 9.7-inch iPad are now advertised to ship in one week. That applies to all capacities ranging from 16 to 32 gigabytes, as well as both black and white colors.

Those who were among the first to buy the fourth-generation iPad will receive their units on its launch day, this Friday. Additional inventory is likely to be available at Apple's retail stores, for those who still seek a launch-day unit.

Apple surprised last week when it announced a new fourth-generation iPad with a faster A6X processor and the new, smaller Lightning connector. The new model completely replaces the third-generation iPad, which went on sale in March and brought the high-resolution Retina display to Apple's touchscreen tablet.

The fourth-generation iPad also adds a high-definition forward-facing FaceTime HD camera and is still compatible with the Smart Cover accessory. Like its predecessor, the iPad starts at $499 for a 16-gigabyte Wi-Fi-only model.

Benchmarks for the latest iPad have already started to leak out, showing the tablet's A6X processor more than doubles the composite Geekbench score of the third-generation iPad. The tests suggest that the A6X appears to be leveraging quad-core graphics, compared to the triple-core configuration seen in the iPhone 5.

Overall, the fourth-generation iPad achieved a Geekbench score of 1757, outperforming the iPhone 5 by ten percent and more than doubling the scores seen with the third-generation iPad and iPad 2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Hehe , I almost forgot about this one with all the ipad mini hype.

So lets recap, iphone 5, ipad mini, ipad 4 all soldout atm... I think we will see lines on friday with people trying to get a device and then cancelling there online order.

• Reply 2 of 13
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    I'd love to trade up. This should be a hot seller
  • Reply 3 of 13

Excellent news. Keep pressure on Microsoft and Google.

• Reply 4 of 13
    The irony is that the people deriding the price of the iPad mini are the same people driving Camry's lambasting BMWs for being too expensive.

There's a reason that's the case.

Drive a vague, understeering pillow on tires, then drive a BMW, then call me in the morning.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Bet AAPL will be up on this news once the market opens again. There really was no reason for that massive decline from over $700 to as low as $590 in so short a period to begin with. Apple gets punished because the "professional analysts" are terrible at following Apple or making good predictions.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

The irony is that the people deriding the price of the iPad mini are the same people driving Camry's lambasting BMWs for being too expensive.

Drive a vague, understeering pillow on tires, then drive a BMW, then call me in the morning.

Don't even need a BMW.  While not as sexy, or not quite the extreme in handling, drive a your vague understeering pillow on tires Camry or Accord, and then drive a VW Passat (especially before the latest generation that went to single link suspension :-(  ).  Unfortunately, unlike Apple, VW cheapened the product with this latest generation to try and chase the Camry drivers.  Let's hope Apple is smarter than that.

• Reply 7 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

Unfortunately, unlike Apple, VW cheapened the product with this latest generation to try and chase the Camry drivers.  Let's hope Apple is smarter than that.

I don't quite understand the understeer analogy to anything Apple is doing. Are you saying Apple should design more oversteer into their products?

• Reply 8 of 13

Now Apple needs to introduce ALL NEW iPads (regular and mini), iMac and Apple TV in six months! Keep the competition permanently off balance.

• Reply 9 of 13
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

If you'd said Audi or Porsche, I'd agree with you, but Beemers are status symbols bought for prestige and not performance.

• Reply 10 of 13
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

And not for nothing, but the new iPads have said "Shipping in 1 week" since they were first posted on the Apple store website last Friday. I know because I've been watching them to gauge interest, since my wife's two week old iPad 3 is going back on Friday as soon as Best Buy opens, and if they went out of stock quickly that would tell me demand was high and I need to be there at 8 when they open. Otherwise, I was just going to go on my lunch break.

• Reply 11 of 13
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'm sitting here wondering how many people won't buy iPad 4 this year because they simply didn't have plans for it or any other electronics this year? The machine is very tempting too. Talk about a frustration point.

Given this I could see sales of iPad 4 remaining very strong as people like me slowly give in next year. Especially as performance reports start to come in, it really looks like Apple hasa winner here.
  • Reply 12 of 13

After selling my iPad 2 last month, I decided on a 4th generation iPad rather then the Mini.  I checked my company version of the Apple Store and was able to order the 4th gen iPad for Verizon saving a few bucks.  Shipment shows "mid-November" but at least the order is in so presumably I will get it as early as possible.

The wait begins  image

• Reply 13 of 13
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member

Geekbench score of 1757 is pretty impressive.   My single core Mac Pro from 2008 is only 5000 something. I think we are about 2-3 years away from the ARM processor having the power needed to run a MacBook Air.  I know there are a bunch of naysayers that don't think it will ever happen.  However, I think the MacBook Pro line is going to continue using the fastest processors available and the MacBook Air will continue to focus on small form factor and battery life.  A 4-6 core A8 on TSM 20 nm process might be fast enough for a Macbook Air.