Tricked out 27inch" iMac...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

How much do you guys think a custom 27 inch iMac with 32gb ram, 3.4ghz i7 processor, 3tb Fusion Storage, and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX with 2GB of GDDR5 memory will cost? I plan on going big on this to last me for years for the tons of video editing I do.  Eventually I will be investing in a thunderbolt hard drive. Probably a Pegasus R6 or R8 to house my video.  Getting stoked!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    You might be running close to $3000. There are no posted prices on the upgrades and options.

I would buy the RAM separately though. Order as little as possible on the RAM and upgrade everything else to your desire.
  • Reply 2 of 7

Thanks Jeff. Do you think it will be easy to replace the ram on the new model? And what Model of ram am I looking for? I'd like to get it just right.

• Reply 3 of 7

Just saw that I will be able to replace them on the 27 inch! awesome, but still want to make sure I get the right type. 

• Reply 4 of 7
    jesjewal wrote: »
    Just saw that I will be able to replace them on the 27 inch! awesome, but still want to make sure I get the right type. 

I don't know the specifics, it is probably too soon as the iMacs aren't shipping yet. Some sites have RAM selectors where you tell it what computer you have and it will show you what is compatible. It probably uses a standard module.

I personally use macsales.com. Newegg has a similar type of selector.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member

If you can manage to, try and hold out until Apple (FINALLY) gets around to updating the Mac Pro in early 2013. I would think, for the same as a 'tricked-out' 27" iMac, you could get into a mid-line dual Xeon Mac Pro with decent specs; while still having room for WAY more RAM & HDD/SSD/FD down the road. And, BONUS, you would have slots for pro A/V I/O cards & the ability to upgrade your GPU(s) as well. Yeah, the screen would be an extra investment, but then you could ALSO upgrade that down the road. I would look at it as a LONG term investment.

NOT that I am denigrating the new iMacs, they look AWESOME, but if you are gonna be work-horsing this thing, might as well go with a true workhorse!

• Reply 6 of 7

Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

…while still having room for WAY more RAM & HDD/SSD/FD down the road. And, BONUS, you would have slots for pro A/V I/O cards & the ability to upgrade your GPU(s) as well.

That's a dangerous assumption.

• Reply 7 of 7
    macronin wrote: »
    If you can manage to, try and hold out until Apple (FINALLY) gets around to updating the Mac Pro in early 2013. I would think, for the same as a 'tricked-out' 27" iMac, you could get into a mid-line dual Xeon Mac Pro with decent specs; while still having room for WAY more RAM & HDD/SSD/FD down the road. And, BONUS, you would have slots for pro A/V I/O cards & the ability to upgrade your GPU(s) as well. Yeah, the screen would be an extra investment, but then you could ALSO upgrade that down the road. I would look at it as a LONG term investment.

NOT that I am denigrating the new iMacs, they look AWESOME, but if you are gonna be work-horsing this thing, might as well go with a true workhorse!

Sadly, Apple doesn't seem to be so much about offering graphics upgrades, even the ones that are offered were discontinued pretty quickly. My original Mac Pro had support of the latest OS for 6 years, now I'd have to go unsupported to get Mountain Lion to install.

I do agree that if you need a workhorse, buy a workhorse. If you don't need it, I don't know if it's really that great of a deal. You may be better off money-wise (counting time value of money) with a new iMac every three years than a new Mac Pro every six.