Pls help!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
pls can someone help me with these fonts!

from wht ive found on the web so far there is no way to turn font smoothing off or change fonts system wide on OSX, So how do i stop my fonts from looking blurred? Ive got a formac 17" LCD and a G4 tower ive tried all of the font smoothing settings and yet still no affect possibly down to the minimum font setting being 12! So is there a way to add higher fonts say up to 20 in general settings in sys prefs?

Surely there must be a script i can edit somewhere?

pls help as i really want to use OSX but if there is no way to make fonts look decent i'll pack me bags and keep using OS9.2

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    you already posted <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=002418"; target="_blank">here</a> and somewhere else too. stop it. if we don't know, we don't post.

I know.

use <a href="http://www.bresink.de/osx/TinkerTool2.html"; target="_blank">Tinker Tool</a>.

HTH
  • Reply 2 of 6
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    hello ? someone here ? huhhu ?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    hello, thanks for the info on that tinker tool, this works ok and i also tried that prefs thing from the same site.

i increased the threshold to 30 and even 60 before font smoothing takes effect but alas i get the same results.

System fonts like in sys prefs and browsing the HDis better but for some reason, web pages and system window messages are still using font smoothing. I've completey given up as it is really making fonts unreadable and im having to squint to read properly, so im using os 9.2 which in my opion handles fonts a whole lot better than OSX.

P.S. I've phoned and emailed apple just to let them know how pissed off their new windows/linux convert is.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    russsrusss Posts: 115member
    [quote] System fonts like in sys prefs and browsing the HDis better but for some reason, web pages and system window messages are still using font smoothing.<hr></blockquote>

Re: web pages, you didn't mention which browser you're using. If it's IE you can turn off font smoothing in IE's Preferences under Interface Extras.

[ 12-23-2002: Message edited by: RussS ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Maybe do yourself a favor and get glasses. The issues you talk of sound personal, not of the masses.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    LOL

Actually i do wear glasses and have a brand new perscription and it aint my eyes.

I took a tour of PC world and i see the same problem onthe ibook and imac, but on the emac fonts look perfect. And it aint just me my friends notice the same blurriness and they have perfect vision.

the problem is with font smoothing or anti-aniliasing on TFTs, its been an issue since anti-aniliasing was first introduced as anti-aniliasing is geared toward CRTs and not TFT's.

With tinker-tool in doesnt turn of font smoothing system wide in jaguar but does in 10.1.3, which i have ordered for £50 so my problem will be solved.

However, it is wrong of apple to not allow a user to completely turn of font smoothing which is something they should look at in future releases.