Macs running Apple's unannounced OS X 10.9 appear online

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 87
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    jcc wrote: »
    House cat? Anyone?
    It's Interesting that they seemed to have some repetition to types of cats. Puma and mountain lion are actually considered of the same sub family, genus puma...also, a name in the same family they have not used is Cougar, prolly due to its association to the definition in English slang.

other names they have not used as possibilities:

Lynx
    Bobcat...which has been stated here already and part of the genus lynx sub family.
    Wildcat
    Like Oscelot but that's not really a "big cat"

Can anyone site a source describing why they even chose big cats as the nomenclature?
  • Reply 82 of 87

Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post

OS X Snoop Lion.

"When they click in the hit box, animate the spot, animate the spot, animate the spot…"

Probably too early to speculate there. ZFS was on Apple's site for a while, so hopefully they have learned to be sure before publicly committing to huge underpinning changes.

We don't even have a name yet! We know where it's going, just not how it'll get there.

Samsung has cornered the market there, unless Apple goes with more esoteric terms like OS X Andromeda or OS X Perseid.

How are either of those "esoteric"? Those are exactly what I'm after. "Galaxy" can go screw itself when Apple releases OS XI.3 Sloan Great Wall.

Now THAT'S sort of esoteric. image

• Reply 83 of 87
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yep. 

Oh, but… they might work that to their advantage. When they launch a mouseless desktop OS, they can say that they knew OS X was on its way out and that the name was symbolic.

The day they launch a desktop mouseless OS is the day I will never buy an Apple computer again.   The trackpad is great, but it doesn't replace the mouse when you want to work efficiently for people who do real work.

I don't care whether Apple supplies the mouse as long as it still works.     Apple has to get over its arrogance and realize that different people work in different ways and what's best for one person is not necessariy what's best for another.    They need to retain flexibility.      (I realize that it wasn't Apple saying they were going to release a mouseless desktop, but posters). 

• Reply 84 of 87

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

The trackpad is great, but it doesn't replace the mouse when you want to work efficiently for people who do real work.

Said nothing about a trackpad.

I don't care whether Apple supplies the mouse as long as it still works.

Why would they have pointer support on a multitouch OS?

Apple has to get over its arrogance and realize that different people work in different ways and what's best for one person is not necessariy what's best for another. 

Right, so buy from a different company. I'm sure there are still people who think the mouse was an "arrogant" move.

• Reply 85 of 87
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    vorsos wrote:
    With great responsiveness comes great RAM usage! I assume we're all rolling at least 4GB, and I don't miss the old versions of Safari that thrashed virtual memory all day. Safari website content is also now in its own process, making the program more responsive even when javascript-heavy sites are afoot. Yes, that process can get huge, but I don't run Safari if I'm doing serious FCPX work, or other heavy lifting.

It should be smarter about memory usage though. I was using Quicklook recently to flip through movies and the Activity Monitor had over 4GB in inactive memory just from Quicklook. I had to manually use purge to clear it. It should do that by itself. Here's a long thread about wasting RAM:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2784719?start=165&tstart=0

There's no explanation as to why kernel_task hoards RAM and some comments there mention it using nearly 4GB. The OS should be using as little RAM as possible and allow processes to use it all. If a process is using too much, it can be dealt with. A reboot is needed to clear out what the kernel is doing.

I don't get why Safari needs so much. A webpage is usually no more than 1MB so opening 50 tabs shouldn't consume more than 50MB with a little overhead here and there. Images don't have to be held decompressed in memory and if a page is closed down, it should be flushed out completely. The random page refresh feature they introduced should never be necessary.

To keep it with the big cat theme, they can call it Lion Cub:

• Reply 86 of 87

Names of Birds of Pray would be great for OS XI !!

• Reply 87 of 87
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

I could see that, along with users referring to Microsoft's next copycat OS as 'Shinzon.'