Apple alerting users of reserved @icloud.com e-mail addresses

Posted:
in iCloud edited January 2014
Apple has begun sending out e-mails to existing @mac.com and @me.com e-mail users to notify them that an @icloud.com account has been reserved with their established username.

iCloud

"All new iCloud Mail accounts now come with an @icloud.com email address," Apple's note reads. "As an existing user, we'd like to offer you this new address as well."

Users are free to continue using their current e-mail address as well, if they do not wish to switch to iCloud.com. No matter which address users use, they will continue to receive all their e-mail at me.com, mac.com and icloud.com.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10

It's sort of interesting that the e-mails go to whichever domain you use, and that there's one sign-up for all three of them.

I like that Apple did this for existing customers, too.

• Reply 2 of 10
    Nice of apple, it matches there latest and greatest email
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I wonder why this email arrive now (yesterday for me). I had @icloud.com email for a while now, a month at least. No I am not an iCloud beta user or anything. And did not get any favour from Apple (that I know of, at least).
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Yeah great.

Now Apple, can you please find a way to let me change the original iCloud email address I was prompted to create when initially setting up iCloud on my iPhone?

Ok, it was my fault I used my wifes name while on her phone but using MY AppleID in the iCloud settings... duh.. but can I change it? Might be nice, and surely not hard to implement.

Yes, I know I can set up a few 'alias' email names/addresses with iCloud, but the primary email address is wrong and I want to change it.

I don't have Lion yet on any Mac's. I read somewhere that you can change it in the iCloud settings on Lion.. Can anyone confirm??
  • Reply 5 of 10

I really don't understand why on Earth anyone would expect me to prefer "@icloud.com" over "@mac.com" or even "@me.com".

• Reply 6 of 10
    Have you tried http://appleid.apple.com
    argonaut wrote: »
    Yeah great.

Now Apple, can you please find a way to let me change the original iCloud email address I was prompted to create when initially setting up iCloud on my iPhone?

Ok, it was my fault I used my wifes name while on her phone but using MY AppleID in the iCloud settings... duh.. but can I change it? Might be nice, and surely not hard to implement.

Yes, I know I can set up a few 'alias' email names/addresses with iCloud, but the primary email address is wrong and I want to change it.

I don't have Lion yet on any Mac's. I read somewhere that you can change it in the iCloud settings on Lion.. Can anyone confirm??
  • Reply 7 of 10

Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I really don't understand why on Earth anyone would expect me to prefer "@icloud.com" over "@mac.com" or even "@me.com".

Maybe it's for the less narcissistic? image

I guess I like @me.com because it's shorter. @icloud seriously sounds, as I joked earlier, less narcissistic. I've gotten looks when saying "@me.com" before.

• Reply 8 of 10
    Perhaps it's because you look good saying it or something… Haha! :P
    I've gotten looks when saying "@me.com" before.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member

I imagine I will always be partial to the @mac address I have.  They can change these suffixes every year for all I care, as long as my @mac.com always works...

• Reply 10 of 10

To Argonaut:

I'm writing to ask whether you were successful in changing the email address you created when you set up your icloud account. I, too, created an email address in haste, and I want to delete it. But I cannot.

Were you successful?