iTunes lists transfer-help!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey all,

I just transferred over from 9.1 to 10.2, and i had all my songs lists set up in iTunes 2 inside of 9.1. And I cant figure out an easy way to make those lists transfer over into iTunes 3 in 10.2. I did manage to make a copy of the lists in iTunes 2 in 9.1 and then export them into iTunes 3 in 10.2. But when i exported them in, it decided it wanted to make a copy of all the files contained on those lists in the Music folder. When i deleted the extra sets of files (I already have these files contained elsewhere on my computer) it wouldnt play them in iTunes 3, until i went out and located the place of each individual file on the hard disk. When i moved all my music folders over into 10.2's Music folder, that didnt help it, it still wanted me to search out each file before playing it (since i had already exported the lists, so i now have all my old lists from iTunes 2 in iTunes 3, but it wont let me play the music files without finding each one on the hard disk individually, because of the way i imported them).

Could someone who knows what to do, or has had a similar situation give me some advice on easily moving my iTunes 2 in 9.1 lists over to iTunes 3 in 10.2. I would really appreciate it, i am sure someone else has done this before.

-Josh

[ 12-25-2002: Message edited by: temporary ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    1. Delete your entire iTunes folder and any libraries from your ~/Music folder.

2. Open iTunes 3 and go to Preferences, and go to the Advanced pane.

3. Uncheck the "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" option. This is a new option in iTunes 3 and is unfortunately enabled by default, which is what is responsible for the strange behavior you have experienced.