iPod Disaster

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My original 5 GB iPod failed yesterday, one year after I got it. The iPod no longer realizes it is connected to my Powerbook or to the charger. Instead it just displays the "Ok to disconnect" message. It also displays this when connected to the Transpod firewire car charger. I have tried completly reseting the iPod but this did not work. Is my iPod ruined?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    start <a href="http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60942"; target="_blank">here</a>.

after that, proceed <a href="http://www.info.apple.com/usen/ipod/tshoot.html"; target="_blank">here</a>.

still no luck ? get <a href="https://depot.info.apple.com/ipod/index.html"; target="_blank">service</a> for your iPod. He might still be under warranty despite being older than a year.

HTH
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I tried using the Get Service Option, but the site said my iPod was out of warrenty
  • Reply 3 of 11
    but you followed the first two links I gave ?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    None of these suggestions worked. The Apple tech support suspected a loose wire, but they will charge me to fix it.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    that sucks. how much do they want ? $249 ?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Dumb question but did you try a different firewire cable? Cables get more stress than most components. Did you try connecting to a different Mac? I have read of people having trouble with the FW connectors on the computers (not that that is a happier situation for you).
  • Reply 7 of 11
    that's not a dumb question. it's the simple things where great minds struggle.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    The iPod also doesn't work with the transpod car adaptor so it isn't the cable. If it costs 249 to fix I would just buy a new one. I haven't had the chance to go to a Apple Store yet. The telephone support guy at Apple thought the problem might be a loose wire, but I don't see how the wire could get loose overnight.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    taken from <a href="http://www.ipodlounge.com/tips.asp#diagnostic"; target="_blank">here</a>

How to initiate the iPod's Diagnostic Mode

This mode is no longer available in Software Updater v1.0.4

Perform diagnostic tests at your own risk or not at all.

The following diagnostic mode discovery, test and results are courtesy of iPoding.com

1. Reset the iPod. Press and hold "Menu" and "Play" buttons.

2. The Apple logo will appear. Press and hold "REW", "FFW" and "Select" button. You will hear an audible chirp sound. Your now in diagnostic mode

3. Navigate the list of tests using "REW" and "FFW". The scroll wheel will not function while in diagnostic mode.

Note: It's back in version 1.1

Note: This function has been disabled in version 1.0.4

To enter Diagnostic Mode: Reset, at Apple logo press and hold "Previous", "Next", and "Action"

The Tests:

A. 5 IN 1 - runs J through N

B. RESET - you guessed it, Reset

C. KEY - allows 5 seconds to press all buttons, if any don't respond or time expires it fails

D. AUDIO - apparently checks audio subsystem; a Pass returns "0X00000000 DONE"

E. REMOTE - when it fails to find the remote control it returns "RMT FAIL"

F. FIREWARE - apparently checks FireWire bus; a Pass returns "FW PASS"

G. SLEEP - goes to sleep; requires reset to wake (unless we didn't wait long enough)

H. A 2 D - apparently checks power subsystem; test unit returned "3.7V 0X000000E2 CHG OK FW 1 BAT 1" Update: running this test with while charging results in different voltage reading and FW 0

I. OTPO CNT - scroll wheel response represented as hexadecimal

J. LCM - tests display, requires pressing "Action" to advance through 3 patterns

K. RTC - not sure what it does but the test unit returns "0X0000000C" Update: After restoring with iPod Updater 1.0 test unit returns "0X00000010" Update: Reader John B. suggests that this may be "Real Time Clock" and reader Jukka A.'s reports of variation in results along with our own observation lend credence to it.

L. SDRAM - memory; test unit returns "PASS"

M. FLASH - pretty sure it's the rom version; test unit returns "0X00005281" Note: this will be different depending on the build of the firmware installed

N. OTPO - our best guess: checks for "Action" down with no scroll wheel movement

--With Software 1.2 this test behaves differently: ScrollWheel iPods list the test as above, but it can not be activated. TouchWheel iPods list the test as "Wheel A2D" activating results in a screen with "Wheel A2D" and a bar, a reset (hold "Menu" and "Play") is required to exit.

O. HDD SCAN - hard drive; will take several minutes

P. RUN IN - runs continuous tests of chipsets (we think); LCM, RTC, SDRAM, OPTI, HDD (controller), TI1394

run those and see what they tell you. it might give you some insight. also, is your iPod charging while it's plugged in?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    The diagnostic mode on the iPod indicated that the FW Bus, harddrive, and the rest of the components were fine. I guess I might be getting a new iPod after macworld.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    looks like, yes.