Steve Ballmer hints Microsoft plans to build more hardware

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer has signaled that his company will likely build more devices following the release of the Surface tablet, in an Apple-like manner of designing both the hardware and software.

Ballmer's comments, as quoted by Reuters, have helped to fuel speculation that Microsoft could build its own smartphone hardware to promote its Windows Phone platform and better compete with Apple's iPhone. Recent reports have claimed that Microsoft is exploring the possibility of designing and selling its own handset with a screen size between four and five inches.

Ballmer, speaking at a tech industry event in Santa Clara, Calif., this week, said he anticipates that Microsoft's partners will "build the lion's share of Windows devices over the next five years." But he also believes his company will build more devices like the Surface.

"It is absolutely clear there is an innovation opportunity on the scene between hardware and software," he said, "and that is a scene that must not go unexploited at all by Microsoft."

Windows Phone 8

Microsoft has built its own Xbox game consoles and the Zune media player, but the Surface tablet released last month represents Microsoft's first attempt at building its own hardware designed for the personal computing market. It's also a direct response to Apple's iPad, which has eaten away at sales of Windows PCs.

Meanwhile, Microsoft's Windows Phone platform has floundered against Apple's iPhone and devices running Google Android. The idea is a Microsoft-built handset running Windows Phone 8 could help to spur sales and give the company a greater share of the booming smartphone market.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62

Should be fun to watch.

• Reply 2 of 62
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    They should be able to buy Nokia soon, bring their executive back after his successful mission and make excellent phones.

All in all, well played Microsoft well played.
  • Reply 3 of 62

Quote:

The idea is a Microsoft-build handset running Windows Phone 8 could help to spur sales and give the company a greater share of the booming smartphone market.

Good luck with that.

• Reply 4 of 62
    This doesn't bode well for Nokia, unless msft is looking to buy them out.
  • Reply 5 of 62
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer... said he anticipates that Microsoft's partners will "build the lion's share of Windows devices over the next five years." 

The lions's share of Windows devices in what market?  I suppose that a lion's share of Windows devices isn't that same as a lion's share of the market.

• Reply 6 of 62
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

As the CEO don't you think he should know not believe, Either how know or does not know, obviously he had no clue or no faith in what his engineers are doing. He has no balls, either come out and say M$ is going to screw the partners or not. 

Quote:

Ballmer, speaking at a tech industry event in Santa Clara, Calif., this week, said he anticipates that Microsoft's partners will "build the lion's share of Windows devices over the next five years." But he also believes his company will build more devices like the Surface.

• Reply 7 of 62

Microsoft continues to slowly turn the knife in their "partners" backs. What is <insert generic clone maker> going to do as Microsoft competes with them and eats their lunch?  Nothing they can do.  too funny these Microsoft "partners" are meeting their fate and there is nothing they can do since they sold their soul to Microsoft years ago.  Why any company would ever do anything with Microsoft is beyond me.

• Reply 8 of 62
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    bullhead wrote: »
    Microsoft continues to slowly turn the knife in their "partners" backs. What is <insert generic clone maker> going to do as Microsoft competes with them and eats their lunch?  Nothing they can do.  too funny these Microsoft "partners" are meeting their fate and there is nothing they can do since they sold their soul to Microsoft years ago.  Why any company would ever do anything with Microsoft is beyond me.

Exactly. Microsoft's 'partners' are in a deep bind.

People licensing from Google/Motorola are likely to find themselves in the same boat.
  • Reply 9 of 62
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

More likely turning a knife in their own eye. Those same partners (Acer, Asus, Foxconn) would have to manufacture MSFT branded stuff, and they will not be that cooperative. In addition, the Surface does not seem to be working out so great, so I am not sure what would possess them to press on in this direction...

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 10 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

This doesn't bode well for Nokia, unless msft is looking to buy them out.

Not necessarily. Notice that the Google Nexus is never the flagship Android phone, more of a reference design. Maybe that's the MSFT plan?!

• Reply 11 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

They should be able to buy Nokia soon, bring their executive back after his successful mission and make excellent phones.

If the Lumia 920 tanks (which it is on the way to doing), you will be able to get NOK with a box of crackerjack.

• Reply 12 of 62
    Hey Ballmer, you must be extremely out of breath due to all that running to catch up! Take it easy big boy, we want you around steering that behemoth Microsoft ship for a long, long time...
  • Reply 13 of 62

yeah, like they have multi decades of experience in manufacturing hardware to call upon.

Having had several MB's going back to G3 days when they were just creaky old black plastic, I have witnessed how slow it is for a company to finesse the design. 

• Reply 14 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Not necessarily. Notice that the Google Nexus is never the flagship Android phone, more of a reference design. Maybe that's the MSFT plan?!

HTC, Samsung, and others can make considerable changes to the Android interface and features, while I bet win8 on any phone will be about the same. I don't think Nokia wants to compete with Microsoft on phones with nearly identical software.

• Reply 15 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Exactly. Microsoft's 'partners' are in a deep bind.

People licensing from Google/Motorola are likely to find themselves in the same boat.

Samsung is licensing from Google and is profiting from Android far more than Google. I'd say Microsoft and Google are in a deep bind because the Apple model of integration is succeeding better. Samsung's success is also informing them that the software only model may not work as effectively or profitably as it once did.

So, while I agree that some of MS and Google's partners are in a deep bind, it is not because of what MS and Google are doing. It is because Apple and Samsung have found their respective ways of succeeding. MS and Google, in fact, are increasingly troubled and their hands are being forced.

This a long-winded (and not most articulate) way of saying that everyone is on shaky ground except for Apple and Samsung.

• Reply 16 of 62
    saarek wrote: »

Played indeed. As in past tense.
  • Reply 17 of 62
    "Apple should get rid of its hardware business and license Mac OS to clone makers."

That was the prevailing wisdom of the tech industry during the 1990s, when Windows ruled the world. When copying Microsoft's play book was the template for success. Even Steve Jobs believed it after NeXT failed and turned itself into a software only company, selling NeXTSTEP for Windows (OPENSTEP for Enterprise). He clearly reversed course when he returned to Apple.
  • Reply 18 of 62

Sure, why not pile on the fail. Just make more of slow, kludgey, and expensive, running bad software (Surface.)

• Reply 19 of 62
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

HTC, Samsung, and others can make considerable changes to the Android interface and features, while I bet win8 on any phone will be about the same. I don't think Nokia wants to compete with Microsoft on phones with nearly identical software.

I think Nokia would do fine competing against MS simply on hardware. If I was looking for a Windows phone I'd go Nokia over MS every time.

MS reputation for building their own hardware still suffers from the XBox 360 red ring of death fiasco. Lots of burnt fingers still smouldering.

• Reply 20 of 62
    rob bonner wrote: »
    Should be fun to watch.

http://youtu.be/wvsboPUjrGc