My Dead iBook :(

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Here we go.....

After downloading a security update my ibook was restarting and it dropped off the table, lid closed, ever since it will not boot, even after wiping the drive, re-installing X, even trying to install X.0.0 wont work, but for some reason OS 9 will work fine!!!! i just dont get it, it isntalls fine but when it comes to restarting then nothing, it just hangs with a blue screen, does anyone have any suggestions? i havent mad much luck at macosx.com :-( please help me. i have run the apple hardware test CD and everything appears to be fine, all the disk utilities ran and found nothing wrong ???? somebody please help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    it boots from the Mac OS X install CD ?

and btw, what version of OS X are you trying to install ? X.0.0 sure isn't a viable version number. either Mac OS X 10.2.3 or 10.2.3 but not X.2.1 ! (had to say that once)
  • Reply 2 of 7
    i have booted from all verisons but it wont load, just hangs when it gets the the ble screen and the HD appears to amke a repetative clicking noise
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I don't get it. does it boot from the Installer cd, or does it hang while loading the cd ?!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    it boots fine from the installer CD, does it all fine, then when i restart after installing then it hangs, any ideas?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    how long do you let it wait on the blue screen before you abort ?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    hours and hours and hourst, sometimes overnight
  • Reply 7 of 7
    do you have any way to back up your files?

if you do, i'd do the following. back up your data.

boot off the OSX install cd, and to a CLEAN install. not an archive, but clean.

it should work then.

if not, boot off the OS9 cd and reformat the drive. then try the above.

-alcimedes