Apple television predicted to headline three core product launches in 2013

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple is forecast by one prominent market watcher to hold three major product launches in 2013, capped off by the introduction of a full-fledged television set by the end of the year.

Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray issued a note to investors on Tuesday, aimed at calming some concern on the part of investors over Apple's next product cycle. He believes the next year will set the stage for bigger changes in Apple's lineup.

Most notably, he expects Apple will launch a television set in time for the holiday 2013 shopping season. He expects the product to be priced between $1,500 and $2,000, with screen sizes between 42 and 55 inches.

"We expect the beauty of the design to be a feature, but the most important feature will be the ability to use the TV as the main interface for the living room across multiple devices," Munster wrote. "We believe the TV will include Siri and FaceTime. The biggest item unlikely to come with the TV will be unbundled channels."

Television

But before a television set, Munster expects Apple to hold an event around March of next year to launch a new radio service to compete with Pandora. Recent reports have revealed that Apple has been in talks with content providers to create a streaming radio service.

Munster believes that any new service would be accompanied by a new product launch. He believes the most likely product update for early 2013 could be an iPad mini with a high-resolution Retina display.

While the iPad mini just went on sale earlier this month, he believes Apple could quickly upgrade it to a high-resolution screen to "address the only significant complaint about the iPad mini."

Munster also sees Apple introducing an updated Apple TV set-top box around the same time. He believes the $99 streaming device could be updated to include a TV app store.

As for the third major product launch event in 2013, Munster believes Apple will introduce its next iPhone around September. He expects a so-called "iPhone 5S" that would be a "modest upgrade" from the current iPhone 5, with a faster processor, more RAM and a better camera.

Around that same time, he expects Apple would introduce a new full-size iPad that would feature a redesigned exterior more akin to the iPhone 5 and iPad mini.

Finally, Munster also expects Apple will preview the next versions of its Mac OS X and iOS operating systems at the annual Worldwide Developers Conference in June. He believes iOS 7 will begin to show the influence of designer Jony Ive, who took over Apple's Human Interface team last month.

"We expect iOS 7 core new features to include additional wallet features for Passbook, commerce integration for Siri (Groupon/LivingSocial as an example), and Maps improvements," he said. "We expect MacBook Airs will get a Retina display option."

Piper Jaffray has reiterated its "overweight" rating for AAPL stock, with a price target of $900.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 202
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Wouldn't it be cool if Steve Jobs introduced the 'Apple TV'...via pre-recorded video from before his death.

That would be the ultimate, final, one-more-thing!
  • Reply 2 of 202

You know what? Whatever. They want to build things based on rumors and what people tell them they want, it's their funeral.

Hey, Apple is releasing an xMac, too.

Hey, Apple is building a car. 

Hey, Apple is making an iPhone nano.

Boom. There goes the company.

• Reply 3 of 202
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member

Quote:

"We expect the beauty of the design to be a feature, but the most important feature will be the ability to use the TV as the main interface for the living room across multiple devices," Munster wrote. "We believe the TV will include Siri and FaceTime. The biggest item unlikely to come with the TV will be unbundled channels."

STOP IT! Stop making predictions on something you have NO idea what you're talking about. Users that visit rumor sites have more insight than you. You are guessing. And being paid for it. Where is my past analyst signature. Don't feed the analysts!!

• Reply 4 of 202
    I think just about anyone could predict these products, the real innovation will come in software.
  • Reply 5 of 202

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You know what? Whatever. They want to build things based on rumors and what people tell them they want, it's their funeral.

Hey, Apple is releasing an xMac, too.

Hey, Apple is making an iPhone nano.

Boom. There goes the company.

• Reply 6 of 202

Quote:

Don't laugh, it wouldn't be the first time I heard rumors of a Tesla partnership. 

• Reply 7 of 202

Hasn't this television been predicted each year for the past 5 years?

• Reply 8 of 202
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

TV- Don't care, and unlikely.

New Apple TV Box in March- Awesome- I agree and will buy.

Apple Music Radio to compete with Pandora on ATV- Don't know, but would love it

App Store to Apple TV- I agree- with the launch of an A6 ATV- can't wait for this.

iPad Mini w/ Retina in Spring (I think more May/June)- I agree- and can't wait to buy.

iPad redesign next year- duh.  Of course it will look like the iPhone and mini.  The 9.7" iPad looks like a relic next to the amazing design of the 5/mini.

5S- of course.  The big selling feature would be something bigger with Passbook.  If they can pull that off it'll be a game changer

OSX 10.9/iOS7- Of course to iOS, but 10.9- not sure... I think 2014, but I'm all for it.

Retina MacBook Air- doubt it- but long for the day.

• Reply 9 of 202

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Don't laugh, it wouldn't be the first time I heard rumors of a Tesla partnership. 

Hey, I'd actually be fine with that.

Have Tesla build the car and Apple design and build the software, controls, and battery. Could cut the price in half for the same life or the same price for double the life.

• Reply 10 of 202

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

App Store to Apple TV- I agree- with the launch of an A6 ATV- can't wait for this.

iPad Mini w/ Retina in Spring (I think more May/June)- I agree- and can't wait to buy.

iPad redesign next year- duh.  Of course it will look like the iPhone and mini.  The 9.7" iPad looks like a relic next to the amazing design of the 5/mini.

5S- of course.  The big selling feature would be something bigger with Passbook.  If they can pull that off it'll be a game changer

OSX 10.9/iOS7- Of course to iOS, but 10.9- not sure... I think 2014, but I'm all for it.

Agree on nearly every point.  My priorities would be Apple TV being opened to developers, Siri being open to developers, improved Passbook/iTunes pay/whatever, Retina Air and Retina iPad Mini.

• Reply 11 of 202

Quote:

Hey, I'd actually be fine with that.

Have Tesla build the car and Apple design and build the software, controls, and battery. Could cut the price in half for the same life or the same price for double the life.

Ironically that's pretty much what I heard in 2 separate ways, never took it seriously though.

• Reply 12 of 202
    $2000 for 40-55"? In what universe does he live in?
  • Reply 13 of 202
    Hasn't this television been predicted each year for the past 5 years?

Pretty sure they did a dates search and replace from a story ran near the holidays in 2011.
  • Reply 14 of 202
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

TV - I am in two minds here. I have said this before so pardon me - but Apple likes to enter a market with a splash and nothing would splash more than a fully fledged TV set. They wont do it unless they think they will sell shedloads but nothing will signal the Apple presence in the living room better than a full size TV. It will also be the talk of every TV show, blogger, news channel for quite a while. It would be a high stakes game because if it was too expensive or too restrictive the negative fall out would make the whole thing backfire horribly.

Apple will not bother if it is just a TV set. Ultimately television is all about services and there would be no point in a 'splash' unless there were game changing services to back up the device. 

Not saying it will happen but I can see it in my minds eye. 

The rest I agree with except I don't think the Airs will come with retina for a while. Retina is great an' all but the Airs are still phenomenal as they are. 

• Reply 15 of 202

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

$2000 for 40-55"? In what universe does he live in?

Ours, since that's the price needed for Apple to have its margins.

It's also why I don't figure this is ever happening.

• Reply 16 of 202

The Macbook Pro with Retina display comes with flash storage and no optical drive. What's left to move towards an Air design?

You need power to properly run a Retina display on a laptop and as such an Air with Retina display would be precisely what the Pros with Retina have become.

Maybe in time the Pro with Retina models can shed some weight but that's all that can be done quite simply because that's all current technology will allow.
  • Reply 17 of 202
    Ours, since that's the price needed for Apple to have its margins.

It's also why I don't figure this is ever happening.

A quality 55" plasma lists for ~$2500. I don't understand the thinking that if Apple joins this market they'll try to beat (or be close to anyone) on price.

Edit: added "don't"
  • Reply 18 of 202

My feeling is it will be a full-fledged TV...super thin, elegant, app store, etc. I think when stevo said he "cracked" TV, he was alluding to Siri. Instead of inelegant remote control with 87 buttons on it, it would be more like, "Siri, let's here the 'Newshour'" or, "Siri, play 'Prometheus.'"

I agree with the poster above. Apple wants to control the living room...and having a huge Apple TV, (read, Apple monolith) in your living room would be a lot more of a splash than a little black box.

Best.

• Reply 19 of 202
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    paxman wrote: »
    TV - I am in two minds here. I have said this before so pardon me - but Apple likes to enter a market with a splash and nothing would splash more than a fully fledged TV set. They wont do it unless they think they will sell shedloads but nothing will signal the Apple presence in the living room better than a full size TV. It will also be the talk of every TV show, blogger, news channel for quite a while. It would be a high stakes game because if it was too expensive or too restrictive the negative fall out would make the whole thing backfire horribly.

Apple will not bother if it is just a TV set. Ultimately television is all about services and there would be no point in a 'splash' unless there were game changing services to back up the device. 

Not saying it will happen but I can see it in my minds eye. 

The rest I agree with except I don't think the Airs will come with retina for a while. Retina is great an' all but the Airs are still phenomenal as they are. 

Why have one TV with game changing services when it can be done cheaper and on multiple TVs?
  • Reply 20 of 202
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    christophb wrote: »
    A quality 55" plasma lists for ~$2500. I don't understand the thinking that if Apple joins this market they'll try to beat (or be close to anyone) on price.
    Edit: added "don't"

You can get it a lil cheaper than that, I just got a 50" Panasonic plasma that's at the bottom of high end for $1,500.