Apple has nearly caught up with demand for iPhone 5

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Supply of the iPhone 5 at Apple's U.S. retail stores has almost completely caught up with demand, just in time for the bustling holiday shopping season.

Gene Munster and his team at Piper Jaffray have continued their nightly checks of 100 Apple Stores. They found that supply of AT&T and Verizon models has "significantly improved," while Sprint units remain readily available.

"As we get closer to the holiday, we believe consumers will likely have the ability to walk into an Apple Store and walk out with an iPhone 5 within the next two weeks," Munster said.

His checks of Apple's stores found "dramatic improvements in availability," as Tuesday night the AT&T model was available at 82 percent of stores and the Verizon model at 72 percent of stores. The Sprint iPhone 5 was also in stock at 92 percent of Apple Stores.

iPhone 5 availability
iPhone 5 availability, via Piper Jaffray.

Signs of improved supply come as Apple this week changed its online store to advertise two-week shipping times for the iPhone 5. Apple's estimated shipping times for products are often seen as a sign of how well the company is able to keep up with demand.

Availability of the AT&T and Verizon iPhone 5 models was severely constrained earlier this month, but Apple has been gradually catching up in recent weeks.

Apple is believed to have encountered a number of quality control issues with assembly of the iPhone 5 when the device first launched. But information from the company's supply chain found that capacity was steadily improving as Apple's partners acclimated to production of the redesigned device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22

Well, if Gene Munster says it, then it must be true. <\sarcasm>

• Reply 2 of 22
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Just waiting for the AI followup headline:

"Waning demand for iPhone5?"

Or the raw, unchecked version:

"Demand for iPhone 5. Waning it is."

• Reply 3 of 22

"As we get closer to the holiday, we believe consumers will likely have the ability to walk into an Apple Store and walk out with an iPhone 5 within the next two weeks," Munster said.

Why would I have to wait in the Apple Store for 2 weeks before I can walk out with my phone?????

• Reply 4 of 22
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    It's clearly visible on some operator websites in France.
  • Reply 5 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Just waiting for the AI followup headline:

"Waning demand for iPhone5?"

Or the raw, unchecked version:

"Demand for iPhone 5. Waning it is."

Yep.  Most people are just waiting on the 5s now, or the 6.  I can just see people saying this.  lol

• Reply 6 of 22

Yeah, this seems to be true. It took me weeks to find an Apple store with the iPhone 5 in stock. And now that I have one, the 3 times I had to go in over the last 2 weeks and exchange my iPhone for problems, they had a new one ready every time! 

• Reply 7 of 22
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    imacjenn wrote: »
    Yeah, this seems to be true. It took me weeks to find an Apple store with the iPhone 5 in stock. And now that I have one, the 3 times I had to go in over the last 2 weeks and exchange my iPhone for problems, they had a new one ready every time! 

Sucks to be you, huh. Apple's build quality is consistently at the top of the heap. Apple's customer satisfaction has lead the industry for years now. But not for you. You think the iPhone 5 is cheap crap and that most of them are defective right out of the box.

By the way I don't believe a word you posted and I'm betting neither do a lot of others.
  • Reply 8 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregrochedc View Post

Why would I have to wait in the Apple Store for 2 weeks before I can walk out with my phone?????

Lol! I just hope they have an excellent room service.

• Reply 9 of 22
    What kind of a difference does this make on the holiday sale? 2 weeks is a long time too because as I see it, the customer these days has a ton of patience to wait that long. I mean, did u take a look at the comments when someone said there was going to be delays in iPad Mini?
  • Reply 10 of 22
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    I couldn't care less about "availability" the metric that counts is sales volume.

Crap you can immediately buy with no wait because no one is buying them doesn't bode well for a companies health. yet the "wait time" would be the nirvana: immediate!
  • Reply 11 of 22
    hittrj01 wrote: »
    Well, if Gene Munster says it, then it must be true. <\sarcasm>

Exactly. He is such a bull...
  • Reply 12 of 22

WHEN APPLE POSTS “Phone available in UN-LOCKED VERSION at your local Apple store” on their web site, THEN you know they’ve caught up.. NOT before.

• Reply 13 of 22

Huh. If supply is so tight, how is it that all AT&T retail stores in Alaska have had all colors and capacities of the 5 in stock since the second week of October, likewise our one Apple retail store? I'd like to think we're special and all, but usual when it comes to stock we are the last to get anything.

• Reply 14 of 22
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Ordered one from Bell Mobility in Canada and it was shipped the same day and arrived the next day.
  • Reply 15 of 22

My two cents: everywhere I've gone in NL, iphone 5 is out of stock. However, nobody seems to buy iPad Mini.

So I'm a bit surprised at people who seem to find a lot of iPhones available, and iPad Mini sold out, but obviously YMMV...

• Reply 16 of 22

Geez, when people talk about Apple rabbid fanboys, I guess I know who they're referring to now. I never mentioned anything negative about the iPhone. I only stated a fact - I'm on my 4th iPhone 5 in the last 2 weeks. 

I own an iPod shuffle, an iPod touch, and iPhone, and iPad 3rd gen, and iPad mini, and an iMac. And I own Apple stock. I also have various old Macs strewn about my house at the moment. I have used Macs and Apple products for about 15 years now, and I agree, their build quality is better than anyone's. That doesn't mean they don't have some defective products.

My first iPhone froze on the Apple screen when I restarted it a few hours after getting it. A line of code then appeared, referring to NSAID memory being bad. Then the screen went blank, turned bright cherry red for about 20 seconds, and turned itself off. That's not supposed to happen. I took it back. The replacement they gave me had a red line going lengthwise down the whole screen.  That's not supposed to be there either.

The third one seemed fine. After about a week of using it, I was frustrated by the really poor reception I was getting - all in areas that I had fine reception in with my previous iPhone. It would also cycle through from no bars of service to full bars and to being on Edge and LTE networks all within the same minute. I took screenshots of that and took it in. They said it could be AT&T's network (the LTE network is new in my area) but that, regardless, it shouldn't cycle through different levels of services so quickly when one is standing in the same spot.  So they gave me another replacement. The last few days, it has seemed fine. The reception is better, and it doesn't cycle through, but time will tell.

Before you attack someone's post, you should ask a few questions.

• Reply 17 of 22
    Love mine brand new.
  • Reply 18 of 22

hehe. Thanks for the backup.  :)  The wifi on mine seems pretty good, but I have noticed that it hasn't been automatically switching from the network to wifi when it used to do so 100% reliably on my iPhone 4.  So I am a little concerned about that, because I don't want to go over my data.  I'm gonna wait it out for now and start tracking how often it's really happening and hope a software update will fix it sometime soon.

And this is pretty petty - not a complaint but just an observation - this is also the first Apple product I've gotten where the screen protectors weren't exactly cut to match the size of the device and that there was dust under it when I first opened it. I have had a lot of Apple products, and cycle through them rather rapidly, and I've never had the screen protectors be like that either. 

I really have to say, I don't think I'd recommend the iPhone 5 to most people right now. I think a lot of them have a lot of problems - maybe because of the stuff that was going on at the FoxConn factory, I don't know. But. I DO love my iPhone (and I already sold my 4, so I'd better!).  Even with experiencing issues, I'd rather have it than any other phone.... but I'm also more patient and have a long enough history to overlook some things. I've also never been more glad that I bought the Applecare+ right from the start.

• Reply 19 of 22

Originally Posted by imacjenn View Post

I own an iPod shuffle, an iPod touch, and iPhone, and iPad 3rd gen, and iPad mini, and an iMac. And I own Apple stock. I also have various old Macs strewn about my house at the moment. I have used Macs and Apple products for about 15 years now, and…

Before you attack someone's post, you should ask a few questions.

Why, when the answers don't matter? We know they don't have a 100% success rate. That doesn't imply every one is a failure. 

You got one reply; that's hardly cause for recourse. Also, you seem to be being rather picky, at least on the third one. My Apple Keyboard's "H" key is slightly twisted. I don't go into a tizzy online and demand a replacement. Not saying you would, either! But some do. And that's beyond reasonable.

• Reply 20 of 22
    Oh, geez. I mentioned my products and stock to show that I obviously am not an Apple hater, and wasn't just posting lies, as the first reply seemed to assume. As far as cause for recourse, I was providing more info to explain my initial statement. I wouldn't even call it recourse. I'm not implying they are all failures either.

In any case, the third replacement, for reception issues, was the Apple genius's suggestion - not mine. I went there for a cable, they asked how the new phone was, and I asked about the reception and showed them the screenshots. I was more inclined to think it was an AT&T problem, but they wanted to replace the phone. And not having proper reception IS kind of a relevant issue when we're talking about a phone.

Anyway, point is, they seem to have more phones available - as well adequate units set aside for replacements.