Killer Deal: Brand new mid-2011 11.6" MacBook Air for $699

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
While Apple's often modest Black Friday sale won't kick off for another day, the company's authorize resellers are already in the process of updating their pricing and releasing door busters, like a brand new 11.6-inch MacBook Air for $699.

MacBook Air for $699


The $699 price from MacConnection is available only while supplies last, and they're said to be extremely limited. This model (MC968LL/A) includes an 1.6MHz Intel Core i5 Dual Core processor, 2GB DDR3 SDRAM and 64GB Flash SSD Drive. It's a brand new computer, left over from the previous release. At $699, it's the lowest price we've ever seen for this model (and any new-in-box MacBook for that matter).

Similarly, MacConnection also currently offers the lowest prices on the brand new 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display (2.5GHz/8GB/128GB) at $1,559.00 ($140 off), the non-retina 15-inch MacBook Pro (2.3GHz/3GB/500GB HDD) at $1,649.00 ($150 off) and the latest 2.50GHz Dual Core i5 Mac mini at $549.00 ($50 off)

You can see the latest prices on all of Apple's Mac products in AppleInsider's Mac Price Guide, which is updated continuously.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 32
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member
    Reading this article, it's priced so low because it contains only a "1.6MHz Intel Core i5 dual-core processor". That wouldn't even be enough to fire up MacWrite.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    That%u2019s plenty of performance for most people. The SSD%u2019s speed boost is far more noticeable than fractions of GHz or i5 vs i7.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Baseline of 4GB of RAM for $699 is a good deal. 2GB is simply: not a chance.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    banchobancho Posts: 1,514member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post



    That%u2019s plenty of performance for most people. The SSD%u2019s speed boost is far more noticeable than fractions of GHz or i5 vs i7.


     


    While you're correct, I believe that WardC was just getting a dig at the site for using 1.6MHz rather than 1.6GHz in the article text.

  • Reply 5 of 32
    But the 2GB of RAM is a terribly inadequate for running Lion or Mountain Lion. Don't do it. Just don't do it.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    bancho wrote: »
    While you're correct, I believe that WardC was just getting a dig at the site for using 1.6MHz rather than 1.6GHz in the article text.

    Ironic, isn't it? A site writing about a company that mainly deals with details but isn't able to write in detail.
  • Reply 7 of 32

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by WardC View Post



    Reading this article, it's priced so low because it contains only a "1.6MHz Intel Core i5 dual-core processor". That wouldn't even be enough to fire up MacWrite.


     


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post


     


    While you're correct, I believe that WardC was just getting a dig at the site for using 1.6MHz rather than 1.6GHz in the article text.



     


     


     


    Haha!  1.6MHz is just a hair faster than an Apple II+!

  • Reply 8 of 32


    Is RAM upgradeable?

  • Reply 9 of 32
    banchobancho Posts: 1,514member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post


    Is RAM upgradeable?



    No, so if this is something you're interested in, make sure 2GB would be adequate. I'd personally prefer more, but in a basic machine for browsing, basic office tasks, email, etc... it may be fine.

  • Reply 10 of 32
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by overstim View Post



    But the 2GB of RAM is a terribly inadequate for running Lion or Mountain Lion. Don't do it. Just don't do it.


    You'd be surprised.  The SSD vs HDD makes a huge difference, far more than going from 2-->4 GB of RAM.

  • Reply 11 of 32


    Don't you need close to 2 gigs just to run Mountain Lion? 

  • Reply 12 of 32
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 2,159member


    Can't tell how much shiping costs.

  • Reply 13 of 32


    I'm writing from a:


    Processor  2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo


    Memory  2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3


     


    While the system doesn't blow anyone away, it's a nice little portable system. When I need to do some serious data crunching, I use my desktop.


     


    I find this system is find for base tasks, but I wouldn't try throwing Photoshop type stuff at it.

  • Reply 14 of 32
    2 GB is way too low. I got the 4 GB 13"
  • Reply 15 of 32
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hface119 View Post


    Don't you need close to 2 gigs just to run Mountain Lion? 



    There is no such rule of thumb.  If you "run out" of RAM the system doesn't turn off, and with a SSD, any time the system needs to use virtual memory, performance is still excellent.


     


    If you have a computer from 2010 or earlier WITH A HDD there is nearly a 100% chance that this will make your computer feel very slow.

  • Reply 16 of 32

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post


    No, so if this is something you're interested in, make sure 2GB would be adequate. I'd personally prefer more, but in a basic machine for browsing, basic office tasks, email, etc... it may be fine.



     


    No.  Dont do 2gb.  Just dont.


     


    4gb is good, 8gb is much better..

  • Reply 17 of 32

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post


    I'm writing from a:


    Processor  2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo


    Memory  2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3


     


    While the system doesn't blow anyone away, it's a nice little portable system. When I need to do some serious data crunching, I use my desktop.


     


    I find this system is find for base tasks, but I wouldn't try throwing Photoshop type stuff at it.



     


    I run a 2.4ghz core2duo.  When running off 2gb it lagged, even doing simple tasks.  Struggled switching between tasks, without constant loading.  Itunes was a pig, even with a modest library.  I also have a netbook running a 1,6ghz single core atom, 2gb of memory, running windows 7, and it opened software quicker than my macbook - absolutely frustrating. 


     


    Upgrading to Mountain Lion didnt help.


     


    8gb did the trick.

  • Reply 18 of 32

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by WardC View Post



    Reading this article, it's priced so low because it contains only a "1.6MHz Intel Core i5 dual-core processor". That wouldn't even be enough to fire up MacWrite.


     


    And yet MacWrite ran on the 8Mhz Motorola 68000.


    I assume you're making fun of Intel's 1600Mhz Core i5.

  • Reply 19 of 32

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


     


    And yet MacWrite ran on the 8Mhz Motorola 68000.


    I assume you're making fun of Intel's 1600Mhz Core i5.



    As has been stated before, he's making fun of that Ai writer's sloppiness.


    See, that 8MHz 68k processor is still way faster that a 1.6MHz non-existent Intel CPU. That's the point.

  • Reply 20 of 32
    bwikbwik Posts: 551member


    While I enjoy my Macbook Pro, I also enjoy my late 2012 Acer 11.6" netbook.  It cost $239 refurb.  Dual core Celeron 877 1.4 Ghz, 4GB RAM, 500GB low profile hard drive.  It's actually gets away with being a real computer (just.)

Sign In or Register to comment.