Share your iPad data usage horror stories

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

iPad 3G/4G data plans mean we can surf on our iPad away from home. I have a £10 per month contract but often my bill is in excess somtimes up to £30. This post on craving tech I read discusses how to avoid these pitfalls. I am a bit lazy in that I dont jsut switch over to Wi-Fi when ever I am at home, I still just use the 3G. Please share below how much you spend compared to how much you think you should be spending.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    iPad 3G/4G data plans mean we can surf on our iPad away from home. I have a £10 per month contract but often my bill is in excess somtimes up to £30. This post on craving tech I read discusses how to avoid these pitfalls. I am a bit lazy in that I dont jsut switch over to Wi-Fi when ever I am at home, I still just use the 3G. Please share below how much you spend compared to how much you think you should be spending.

DO NOT USE 3G IF YOU ARE AT HOME. It is a massive, massive waste of money.

YOUR MAIN ISSUE is that your iPad SHOULD AUTOMATICALLY SWITCH TO WIFI at home.

You must leave your WiFi on, even when you leave the house, because then when you go home, your iPad will automatically switch to WiFi.

FWIW, I have a Nexus 7 WiFi only and an iPad 3 WiFi only. My iPhone 5 has 1.5GB data per month on $80/month AUD total (Telstra) plus 1GB data each month for 12 months. So 2.5GBs means that I generally only use the Nexus and iPad at home or at work on WiFi. When I am out and about I try to "see the sights" and not be buried in my iPhone, I do what is necessary and only if I'm travelling our out and about and need to use like my laptop or something.