Black Friday: Amazon now selling Apple's 13" MacBook Pro for $962.54

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Some of the steepest discounts for Mac shoppers this Black Friday continue to come from Amazon, which is now selling Apple's 13-inch 2.5GHz MacBook Pro for $236.46 below retail price.

MacBook Pro

This is the absolute lowest price ($962.52) we've ever seen for this model, or a brand new 13-inch MacBook Pro in general. Amazon's prices change constantly and there's no guarantee on how long they will stick to any one particular price.

The world's largest online retailer also offers deep discounts on a handful of other new Macs (Mac Price Guide):

MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs with 3-Years of Apple Care

See our step-by-step guide to making sure you get the lowest prices at B&H.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Got me an iPad mini today with a great COU$0.-GH discount. Ah... who was I kidding? Still, one xmas gift out o the way. I guess that must be a win-win-win, then.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Their amazon warehouse deals are even better. A 13" air can be had for $932...
  • Reply 3 of 18
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member

I am glad Apple updated the line with Retina displays. That is one cool computer for under $1000!

• Reply 4 of 18
    wardc wrote: »
    I am glad Apple updated the line with Retina displays. That is one cool computer for under $1000!

Just to be clear, the ones being sold for under $1000 do not have Retina Displays.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    andysol wrote: »
    Their amazon warehouse deals are even better. A 13" air can be had for $932...

Not sure why a 13" MBA at $932 is automatically a better deal than a 13" MBP at $963.

For some people, the MBA is a better choice, but for others, the $30 extra to get the Pro would be a bargain.
  • Reply 6 of 18

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Not sure why a 13" MBA at $932 is automatically a better deal than a 13" MBP at $963.

"Man, the optical drive alone is worth hundreds extra!"

• Reply 7 of 18
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member

Really? The front page made it sound like these were the 2012 models. Apple updated the complete line with Retina displays this year.

"This is the absolute lowest price ($962.52) we've ever seen for this model, or a brand new 13-inch MacBook Pro in general."

It says "brand new model" -- am I missing something???

• Reply 8 of 18
    I sold my wife's iPhone at TriPhonia.com to put it towards Black Friday deals like these!
  • Reply 9 of 18
    wardc wrote: »
    Really? The front page made it sound like these were the 2012 models. Apple updated the complete line with Retina displays this year.

"<span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">This is the absolute lowest price (</span>
    <a href="https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0074703CM/ref=as_li_ss_til?tag=reality&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B0074703CM&adid=1FHN9XX1RRFEGWG70GE7&" style="border:0px;font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;" target="_blank">$962.52</a>
    <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">) we've ever seen for this model, or a brand new 13-inch MacBook Pro in general."</span>

<span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">It says "brand new model" -- am I missing something???</span>

It says "this model" referring the non-Retina MBP and says "brand new" of which Apple is still selling brand new non-Retina MBPs.

This is the article that has deals on Retina MBPs...

• Reply 10 of 18
    I'm betting this is the first and only model of the Mac Book Pro 13" that doesn't have a discrete Unit for GPGPU processing.

I'm betting the Psi for laptops co-processor will be standard issue for Intel boards moving forward.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I'm betting this is the first and only model of the Mac Book Pro 13" that doesn't have a discrete Unit for GPGPU processing.
    I'm betting the Psi for laptops co-processor will be standard issue for Intel boards moving forward.

It hasn't been the first. I'm pretty sure every MB, MBA, and 13" MBP has had iGPUs. My 12" PB had a 32MB dGPU but that was well before iGPUs were as useful as they are now and with the advances in iGPUs (not to mention their integration with the chipset) I'm going to guess that they will not be leaving those small devices anytime soon or get a dGPU added along with it.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Normally just the left and right columns are ads, but today it's all 3 :)

• Reply 13 of 18
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member

I don't understand why online stores celebrate Black Friday.  Why don't they just have deal the whole weekend?  Do they have to staff-up more in the virtual world?  It isn't like the brick and mortar stores where they have their employees pull extra shifts and they only have the stock on-hand.  It is just bizarre that they try to act the same.

Now will Amazon do Cyber-Monday?

• Reply 14 of 18
    mactel wrote: »
    I don't understand why online stores celebrate Black Friday.  Why don't they just have deal the whole weekend?  Do they have to staff-up more in the virtual world?  It isn't like the brick and mortar stores where they have their employees pull extra shifts and they only have the stock on-hand.  It is just bizarre that they try to act the same.

I think it's based on psychology and culture more than anything else. Even B&M stores have weekend long sales, as well as sales all the way through Christmas and then post holiday sales and then New Year's sales.
  • Reply 15 of 18

Yes- amazon does cyber Monday. But I'm sure the online outlets do it for competitive reasons. "Don't go to Walmart, just stay home and buy from us". Then Walmart matches their prices online to their store deals to compete with the online people. It all benefits us, the consumer- as long as your smart and get just what you need (which is very little of the population that does this- im sure)
  • Reply 16 of 18
    jragosta wrote: »
    For some people, the MBA is a better choice, but for others, the $30 extra to get the Pro would be a bargain.
    I didn't say the air was better- I said amazon warehouse deal was better. At the time, the MacBook Pro was $860ish- it's now sold out.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I think 'celebrate' is the wrong word, though for many stores the sales that take place on Black Friday is indeed a cause for celebration. On the whole Black Friday sales are a hoax in terms of bargains, and is becoming more of ritual in honor of consumerism. The Black Friady sales are becoming a big family event where each step is carefully planned and executed. It is insane and this year stores saw a shift from individuals shopping to family outfits approaching the whole thing more like a military operation - one person lining up to pay (can take up to two hours, apparently), while another person man's the getaway car (fill car up and move on), and another one or two grab the 'deals'.  From the store owners' pov the whole thing is an exercise of deception as much as anything else. They offer amazing loss leading deals which only the first few in line can get. The rest of the sales are all about 'the frenzy' and the 'need to buy'. Place high profit items in line of sight, and next to much more expensive but similar items, etc etc...(a lot of research goes into this) According to some reports better deals are available outside of Black Friday, which makes sense because retailers are hardly dropping their prices to be nice. They have a captive (frenzied) clientele - now all they have to figure out the best ways to maximize profits.  

• Reply 18 of 18
    alexnalexn Posts: 119member
    solipsismx wrote: »

I think it's based on psychology and culture more than anything else. Even B&M stores have weekend long sales, as well as sales all the way through Christmas and then post holiday sales and then New Year's sales.

In a truly amazing piece of synchronicity my wife came home from work on Friday having made the decision that we should finally cough up and replace the borrowed iPad with one of our own; while that very morning I'd found the AU$41.00 discount on the iPad 4th gen on the online (Oz) Apple Store. When she announced her decision regarding the iPad, I didn't hesitate to mention the Black Friday discount :).

Happliy, the wife likes bargains, and this one appealed to her - as did the discount on the cover. We now have a nice new iPad and cover on order, although this means no iPad Mini for the time being.

So the psychology worked on us in this instance. If I've interpreted your use of "psychology", that is. Apologies if I haven't.