Apple adds six Samsung products to Galaxy Nexus dispute

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In a court filing on Friday, Apple asked a federal judge to add six Samsung products, including the Galaxy S III running Android 4.1, to an upcoming infringement lawsuit, with each party asserting a number of utility patents against the other.

Galaxy S III mini
Samsung's Galaxy S III mini has been added to Apple's suit. | Source: Samsung


The new claims come just days after Samsung filed a motion to augment its counterclaims by adding the iPad mini and fourth generation iPad to the case, both of which were not released when the case was originally filed in February.

If approved by U.S. Magistrate Judge Paul S. Grewal, Apple's latest assertions will bring the South Korean company's Galaxy Note II, Galaxy S III with Android 4.1, Galaxy S III mini, Rugby Pro, Galaxy Tab 8.9 Wi-Fi and Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 into the case scheduled for 2014. Apple noted that the Galaxy S III mini has not yet been officially introduced in the U.S., but the device is available through various retailers.

Earlier in November, Judge Grewal allowed Apple's motion to add the Galaxy S III to the suit, however Samsung has since updated the phone's Google Android operating system to 4.1 Jelly Bean, a version of which is now being claimed as infringing on the Cupertino tech giant's intellectual property. Samsung's version of Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is already part of the case as it pertains to the Galaxy Nexus.

As for Samsung's claims, the company recently added Apple's flagship iPhone 5, asserting infringement of certain UMTS wireless patents, after promising to do so in September.

The case is being heard by the same California court as the landmark Apple v. Samsung patent trial that resulted in a $1.05 billion verdict against Samsung in August.

There will likely be further device additions for both parties as fact discovery is scheduled to run through July 8, 2013, ahead of a trial currently set for March 31, 2014.

«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 37
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    When are these two children going to grow up? I'm so sick of hearing about Apple and Samsung and lawsuits. This is getting beyond ridiculous now.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member


    You know how you have a front page and a back page? Could you please instead have a tech page and a legal page.

  • Reply 3 of 37
    alexnalexn Posts: 119member
    The next disputed item will be probably the kitchen sink (it has rounded corners), rolls eyes :rolleyes:
  • Reply 4 of 37

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post



    When are these two children going to grow up? I'm so sick of hearing about Apple and Samsung and lawsuits. This is getting beyond ridiculous now.


     


    Apple is hoping for some justice. Do you know that in programming/engineering, once the product, output or just an idea is out any TYPICAL programmers that have sufficient skills even WITHOUT much TALENT/CREATIVITY can copy it? That’s why I support patents.

  • Reply 5 of 37
    rogifan wrote: »
    When are these two children going to grow up? I'm so sick of hearing about Apple and Samsung and lawsuits. This is getting beyond ridiculous now.
    You'll stop hearing about lawsuits when you stop reading blogs

    It's not childish to protect ones IP. But what is childish is going to the effort to click into something about a lawsuit just yo gripe about how you dont want to read about them anymore. Just don't read it.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    charlituna wrote: »
    You'll stop hearing about lawsuits when you stop reading blogs
    It's not childish to protect ones IP. But what is childish is going to the effort to click into something about a lawsuit just yo gripe about how you dont want to read about them anymore. Just don't read it.
    well I'm sorry but its pretty sad that one has to stop reading blogs or tech sites because they don't want to hear about stupid lawsuits.

    I can't wait until the day Apple can be completely rid of Samsung, And I wish HTC or Nokia would step up and provide Samsung some real competition. I know the iHaters love Samsung because they decided to take on Apple, but doesn't it bother them at all that, outside of Apple, Samsung has basically zero competition in the mobile space? Are Samsung phones really that much better than HTC or Nokia phones? Or Motorola for that matter?
  • Reply 7 of 37
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    makingdots wrote: »
    Apple is hoping for some justice. Do you know that in programming/engineering, once the product, output or just an idea is out any TYPICAL programmers that have sufficient skills even WITHOUT much TALENT/CREATIVITY can copy it? That’s why I support patents.
    I'm not against patents but this is getting ridiculous now. I mean does either company really think they're going to stop the sales of the other's flagship devices? Also, isn't Samsung suing over FRAND patents? And something Apple shouldn't be responsible for since Qualcomm has already paid the licensing/royalty?
  • Reply 8 of 37


    I see your proposed ban and raise you three more products. 

  • Reply 9 of 37
    Here in US the patent and court system is broken, apple started this crusade against everyone that brings true innovation to the smartphone industry, so I make Apple responsible of the anti-apple trend generated because of this.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    rogifan wrote: »
    well I'm sorry but its pretty sad that one has to stop reading blogs or tech sites because they don't want to hear about stupid lawsuits.
    I can't wait until the day Apple can be completely rid of Samsung, And I wish HTC or Nokia would step up and provide Samsung some real competition. I know the iHaters love Samsung because they decided to take on Apple, but doesn't it bother them at all that, outside of Apple, Samsung has basically zero competition in the mobile space? Are Samsung phones really that much better than HTC or Nokia phones? Or Motorola for that matter?

    Stop reading blogs related to IP disputes.

    That might be one way to stop whining.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    alexn wrote: »
    The next disputed item will be probably the kitchen sink (it has rounded corners), rolls eyes :rolleyes:

    I have a patent on eye rolling - see you in court.
  • Reply 12 of 37

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by makingdots View Post


     


    Apple is hoping for some justice. Do you know that in programming/engineering, once the product, output or just an idea is out any TYPICAL programmers that have sufficient skills even WITHOUT much TALENT/CREATIVITY can copy it? That’s why I support patents.



    While I agree that a decent programmer can materialize an idea.... The last I remember Samsung has not copied any of Apples software it was more on the cosmetics side. Where as Samsung is protecting an actual invention not technological makeup. 


     


    However I too am over this rubbish I will but a phone from whom ever meets my needs... for the time being its not Apple however I am always interested in what they do as maybe at some point they are the option for me. I do not believe in locking oneself into any company.


     


    PS : As a software engineer myself I borrow ideas and functions all the time from industry related forums and post my own stuff for others to use too. As developer one relies heavily on the knowledge of the broader community to get things done. If everyone kept there ideas and source to themselves we would still be in the computing darkages.

  • Reply 13 of 37
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Stop reading blogs related to IP disputes.
    That might be one way to stop whining.
    If you don't care for my "whining" you could skp over my post. ;)
  • Reply 14 of 37
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    petrosy wrote: »
    While I agree that a decent programmer can materialize an idea.... The last I remember Samsung has not copied any of Apples software it was more on the cosmetics side. Where as Samsung is protecting an actual invention not technological makeup. 
    If I remember correctly in the lawsuit that Apple won it was the design patents that were thrown out as not infringing (or Apple not sufficiently proving infringement). So no it's not about rounded rectangles, as much as Samsung and the tech press would like everyone to believe.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    rogifan wrote: »
    When are these two children going to grow up? I'm so sick of hearing about Apple and Samsung and lawsuits. This is getting beyond ridiculous now.

    ascii wrote: »
    You know how you have a front page and a back page? Could you please instead have a tech page and a legal page.

    It's easy to ignore pages or articles you don't want to read. Just admit that this is feeding your inner need to be critical.e ar

    charlituna wrote: »
    You'll stop hearing about lawsuits when you stop reading blogs
    It's not childish to protect ones IP. But what is childish is going to the effort to click into something about a lawsuit just yo gripe about how you dont want to read about them anymore. Just don't read it.

    Exactly. Not only are they reading the articles, they go on and on commenting in them.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    adamcadamc Posts: 572member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Soulbearer View Post



    Here in US the patent and court system is broken, apple started this crusade against everyone that brings true innovation to the smartphone industry, so I make Apple responsible of the anti-apple trend generated because of this.


    The anti Apple band wagon is here before you learn to suck milk and it will still be here you and I are long gone.


     


    I agree that it is time to talk about tech and not legal issues of tech. It is tech that makes the world and not these legal issues which are getting boring.


     


    But one thing I can say about them they are guranteed hits of those desperate for hits like Forbes, Business Insider but i don't think Appleinsider is one of the,

  • Reply 17 of 37
    rogifan wrote: »
    well I'm sorry but its pretty sad that one has to stop reading blogs or tech sites because they don't want to hear about stupid lawsuits.

    Here's a tip: There are these things called "headlines" that provide a short description of the article. Under that, there's often (always on AI) a longer, but still short, summary of it as well. Read the headline. If you still aren't sure what it's about, read the summary. Then, if it's not something you are interested in reading about, don't click on it and, voilà!, you won't be reading the article. This all works pretty much the way it did in the newspapers of yore. It's really very simple, give it a try.

    Although, for someone sick of reading about lawsuits, you certainly seem to have a lot to say about them, or at least the need to say it over and over again. Frankly, the rest of us are sick of hearing you whine about it.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    rogifan wrote: »
    If you don't care for my "whining" you could skp over my post. ;)

    Probably a good suggestion, but I still don't understand why you spend so much time posting about something you are so sick of.
  • Reply 19 of 37


    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

    When are these two children going to grow up? I'm so sick of hearing about Apple and Samsung and lawsuits. This is getting beyond ridiculous now.


     


    I'd say you have some growing up to do first if you 1) don't understand that property deserves protection and 2) don't understand that you don't have to read any of these.





    Originally Posted by AlexN View Post

    The next disputed item will be probably the kitchen sink (it has rounded corners), rolls eyes image


     


    Do you want to keep perpetuating this lie? Really? Think hard now.


     



    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

    I mean does either company really think they're going to stop the sales of the other's flagship devices?


     


    Yes. Apple probably can. Apple knows its right, whereas Samsung is just, well, copying everything Apple does… by suing back. Regardless of the suit's legality.


     


    Originally Posted by Soulbearer View Post

    Here in US the patent and court system is broken, apple started this crusade against everyone that brings true innovation to the smartphone industry, so I make Apple responsible of the anti-apple trend generated because of this.


     


    Post is deleted, left it here as an example of what never to post. The whole thing is pure FUD, but the bold are examples straight from my List. Hilarious.





    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

    Probably a good suggestion, but I still don't understand why you spend so much time posting about something you are so sick of.


     


    His post is no different than those of the Anti-Apple Brigade in this regard, and as such would probably be infraction-worthy under a strict reading of the rules. 


     


    Now who's sick of reading about lawsuits? Oh, wait, still him. image

  • Reply 20 of 37
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    If you don't care for my "whining" you could skp over my post. ;)

    Thats the rub. If I see a headline for a subject I'm not interested in I can skip the article and forum thread altogether. But when someone posts in the thread of an article I'm interested in there is no subject line, there is no warning. We get the whining and can't skip over until it's too late.

    The only other solution is to put an entire poster on ignore but that would suggesting that nothing they say ever has any merit. I don't think you'd say your posts never have anything to add to the conversation..


    edit: Doh! Pipped by anonymouse but I'll leave my comment in to help drive home the point.
Sign In or Register to comment.