WSJ: iTunes 11 to be released as soon as Thursday

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple is rumored to release its next-generation iTunes 11 as soon as Thursday following a delay due to "engineering issues" which forced the company to rebuild select areas of the new program's code.

iTunes 11 play history
Screenshot of iTunes 11 store.

According to The Wall Street Journal, Apple could release the media store and player by Thursday, which would make the launch about one month later than originally planned.

The fresh information came in a WSJ profile on Apple's Senior Vice President of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue, the head of Apple's iTunes group who recently took over iOS Maps and Siri after former iOS chief Scott Forstall was ousted from the company.

In October, Apple announced that iTunes 11 would be pushed back from its promised debut date, but failed to offer an explanation as to the delay, saying only that it "wanted to take a little extra time to get it right." At the time, spokesman Tom Neumayr said the new iTunes would roll out sometime in November.

iTunes 11 is expected to sport a clean, iOS-inspired user interface with tighter integration with other Apple services like iCloud.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24

The screenshot with the Preview-added circle makes me think that's "the select area of code" that had to be rebuilt.

But whatever; bring it on. Itching for this puppy.

• Reply 2 of 24
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member

I like the "Library" button. Pretty please make it allow you to select any "Users library" both locally and remotely. 

• Reply 3 of 24
    It looks like nearly a full new look, Apple showing this in September, said October, hopefully by November, in time for December Christmas buyers, those people might be sending ITunes gift cards.
    This might not make since but maybe the next will be very similar for the new tablet based windows 8, get the joke.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    How is this news? Last month Apple delayed it through November. There are only two more days left. Since it did not release today, as early as Thursday is the next soonest day it could release. Wow, this is hilarious.
  • Reply 5 of 24

Originally Posted by hydr View Post

I like the "Library" button. Pretty please make it allow you to select any "Users library" both locally and remotely. 

Oh, that would be nice. Not gonna happen, though. It should show you what's available in Home Sharing, but otherwise…

While we're on the subject of things we'd like to see but will never happen: APPLE. NAiTL. PLEASE.

• Reply 6 of 24
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, that would be nice. Not gonna happen, though. It should show you what's available in Home Sharing, but otherwise…

While we're on the subject of things we'd like to see but will never happen: APPLE. NAiTL. PLEASE.

Not so sure about that. If they ever do release an iTv, how am I suppose to be controlling iTunes from my MacBook when working?

Right now my iTunes is on my iMac connected to a 60" Samsung. I hate using RemoteTunes to control it while working on my MacBook. Why else would they all of a sudden toss a "Library" button clearly in the menu area like that?

Bring it Apple! 

• Reply 7 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by hydr View Post

Why else would they all of a sudden toss a "Library" button clearly in the menu area like that?

Bring it Apple! 

Because that button is basically a toggle switch for the store & your library. The lack of the sidebar means it has to go somewhere.

Take a look at the previews, http://www.apple.com/itunes/new-itunes the music popup on the left is a multiple choice item, but the library button isn't for multiple items (unless Apple have forgotten what the HIG is).

• Reply 8 of 24
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    WSJ: iTunes 11 to be released as soon as Thursday .

you mean one day earlier than the already delayed-by-a-month "end of november"? at this point, two days before the end of the month, you could have guessed any one of several days and been kinda-on-the-money. that's some good reporting, there, wsj.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    If they really had an inside source on this then they could tell us exactly why it was delayed.

I say easy money there were no issues. They just wanted to run it through another test cycle after the mess that was iOS 6 at launch
  • Reply 10 of 24
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    These last few years have really let me down with anticipation. When you hear Lion, Mountain Lion, new iMacs, etc are to be announced on a certain month or season, but then it happens on the last day or week of that season. I get excited November 1 for the iMacs but have to wait 30 days. Dang you Apple! I don't remember it being like this in the past- when they said a month, it seemed to be as soon as the month started to pleasantly surprise everyone. Now its always at the last possible promised time or pushed back. Do I just have revisionist history?
  • Reply 11 of 24

It could also be delayed another month. Apparently the WSJ didn't think of this possibility.

• Reply 12 of 24
    I'd be happy if it allowed me to sync my devices to one account, not just one computer. Sometimes I like to do crazy things like update my music, videos and podcasts on the road, not just while I'm home. Because of this, I have to use my MacBook for everything. I understand why Steve did this years ago, but with iCloud and music match, this artificial restriction no longer makes any sense. Remove it, make our lives easier, and lose nothing in the process.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Looking forward to iTunes 11. The iTunes product is a real bloated piece of software that no one really cares to use but finds themselves having to do so with their iDevices. Remember Ping?

The product could shed some pounds and even loses some features. I'd like the iDevice syncing to open its own application rather than having to go into iTunes. iTunes should be an accessible library from the separate sync app just like iPhoto, iLife, or your iWorks apps would be. Of course this wouldn't work so well on the PC side. Oh well, just a thought or two.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    Can't wait for the new feature that makes it not suck on windows. They can call it iTunes butter or something
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Shall we shiver with anticipation of this new, radically sleekified iTunes, or stock up on virtual Immodium in preparation for gagging down yet another seething, bloated, cybernetic mess? There's just no telling with Apple anymore, but it's hard to imagine that the years of rancid feature creep can be reversed in a single major release, or at all.

But it's not just Apple, is it? Increasingly, software engineering follows a sort of Kardashian aesthetic: when in doubt, _more!_ It's like watching the Real Life Engineers of Silicon Valley let loose with a million dollar gift card and a 15 minute time limit in some Walmart of software features. They just can't stop piling tihs into the cart.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    alexnalexn Posts: 119member
    Yes, well, I'm going to let all you excited people download and start using it first - just in case. I got burnt with Lion, partly my fault in dragging over my user account from the G5 onto Snow Leopard on the new iMac we got; and partly my fault for not doing a clean install from 10.6->10.7. I was saved because of my Time Machine backup(s), but since then have not been in a scrambling hurry to install "the latest and greatest". That includes 10.8 (not installed) and iOS 6 (installed recently after a series of cautious checks).

This implies that I don't trust Apple, but the case is really that I have become much more careful and cautious recently :).
  • Reply 17 of 24
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Interesting.

I was under the impression that, due to this delay, iTunes 12 was going to be released before iTunes 11.

• Reply 18 of 24
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    You know what they say about a ripe fruit delayed too long... It becomes rotten.

iMac 21"
    iMac 27"
    iPod touch
    iPad LTE
    iPad mini
    iPad mini LTE
    iTunes
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Well, no...not yet today at least...
  • Reply 20 of 24
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    gtr wrote: »
    Interesting.

I was under the impression that, due to this delay, iTunes 12 was going to be released before iTunes 11.

LOL
    Well, no...not yet today at least...

Hmm... There's a delay of the delay. Nah, just kidding. Yeah, only 7am USA EST. WSJ is usually right. It should be out within the next 12 hours.