Beige G3 DVD Player

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok. So today I bought a Pioneer DVR-105 Drive for my Beige G3 333 (oc'ed), as it cost me 170.00. Anyways, it works great, except it will not play DVDs. I copied DVD player from my iMac, but it says not supported. Is there any way to get this to work? I am getting ready to make this my only machine when I upgrade it to a G4, and really would like to figure this out. BTW. It IS internal, so ya. If anyone has any ideas, please lemme know. Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Oh yeah. Meant to mention that it is a CenDyne model, but it has the DVR-105 mechanism in it, so it is fully supported. So that is not a problem.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    noseynosey Posts: 307member
    I had a freind who had a similar problem. It turned out that the machine he was upgrading (which was one of the first to come with a DVD player) required a special card to be able to actually play movies. Something to do with decoding/displaying or something.

Anyways. I would check Accelerate your Mac. The web site with all the different reviews and work arounds. There must be an answer on the 'net because someone has already tried it... I am sure.

Try this: <a href="http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/OSX/OS_X_10.1/OS_X_DVD_player_mod.html"; target="_blank">web page</a>

It mentions something about a mod needed for the beige ones.

[ 01-04-2003: Message edited by: nosey ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 4
    lukiluki Posts: 8member
    Confirming that the Cendyne model (of the pioneer DVR-A05)is not the problem. I just dropped one in my G4, and it works great.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    a beige G3 needs a MPEG decoder card to play DVDs.