iPad mini US shipment dates improve to one week for first time since launch

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Supply of Apple's iPad mini appears to be finally catching up with demand as the company's online store is now showing one-week ship-by dates for all models in the U.S.

iPad mini Ship Times
Source: Apple

The change comes just days after Apple announced it would be releasing the 7.9-inch iPad in China on Dec. 14, suggesting that supply is somewhat stable after Apple Stores saw complete stockouts of the device over its launch weekend.

While shipment quotes are still not at "in stock" availability on Apple's digital storefront, the shipping improvement could mean that the iPad mini supply chain is now in full swing. Stock at brick-and-mortar Apple Stores are unknown, but the ship times are similar to those seen by the iPhone 5.

According to one analyst, and independent checks by AppleInsider, as of last week customers have been able to walk in and purchase an iPhone 5 at a number of Apple Store locations.

For those readers not able to wait the week for an iPad mini to ship from Apple, a number of Authorized Apple Resellers have supply on-hand and ready to ship.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

One week, versus one step into your local Best Buy, which probably has plenty in stock if it's anything like my two local stores. Why is it Apple can keep it's 3rd party partners better stocked than it's own online store?

• Reply 2 of 11
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Hopefully where I am the shipping time comes down from 2 weeks! Even tho my mini will arrive before Xmas, I don't want to wait!
  • Reply 3 of 11
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'm sure this news will cause another sell off in the stock. :lol:
  • Reply 4 of 11
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    cash907 wrote: »
    One week, versus one step into your local Best Buy, which probably has plenty in stock if it's anything like my two local stores. Why is it Apple can keep it's 3rd party partners better stocked than it's own online store?
    Because nobody in their right mind would buy hardware from Best Buy. Seriously why exposé yourself to their business model?

In many ways walking into Best Buy is like walking through the red light district in any big city. They only difference being the hookers are making an honest living. Seriously the minute you walk into one of those stores you have people trying to sell you stuff you don't want or need. Best Buy isn't a good experience from the standpoint of the consumer.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    App
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'm sure this news will cause another sell off in the stock. :lol:

Apple was significantly overpriced so I don't see cause and effect here. More interesting here is the volumes Apple is seeing, that is have they caught up with demand or is demand lighter than expected. It would be bad news of course if demand was weak already. On the other hand it would be very good news to hear that all of the rumored production problems have been ironed out.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    App
    Apple was significantly overpriced so I don't see cause and effect here. More interesting here is the volumes Apple is seeing, that is have they caught up with demand or is demand lighter than expected. It would be bad news of course if demand was weak already. On the other hand it would be very good news to hear that all of the rumored production problems have been ironed out.

Wow - how clueless can you possibly be? Apple can't keep up with demand for any of their products, and haven't even launched them yet in a significant number of countries, and has its products on top of everyone's wish list and you think they have been overpriced? Yet their PE IS NOW 12, while we have a company that doesn't seem to know how to make money, Amazon, trading at a PE of over 3,000? Yes, 3000!!! Folks, it is time to load up as the numbers for the quarter are going to be a blowout!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Wow - how clueless can you possibly be? Apple can't keep up with demand for any of their products, and haven't even launched them yet in a significant number of countries

I suppose your statement would be accurate if 47 countries to date with over 50 more this month isn't a significant number of countries. . .

http://www.imore.com/apple-launching-iphone-5-50-new-countries-month-including-south-korea-brazil-and-russia

In addition, according to Apple the iPad Mini and the fourth-gen iPad (Retina) are already available in 42 countries.

• Reply 8 of 11
    I have been tracking the inventory status of the iPad Mini and for the last week it's been available at all my local stores. That means you can probably walk into any Apple store to get an iPad mini. Going earlier in the day would give you a better chance.
  • Reply 9 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

To address your question:

(1) Perhaps Apple's online store is selling product at a higher rate then anticipated.

(2) Perhaps Apple is wisely giving its partners preference from the available supply. If so, THIS would be a smart move for the long term relationship with Apple.

• Reply 10 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Because nobody in their right mind would buy hardware from Best Buy. Seriously why exposé yourself to their business model?

In many ways walking into Best Buy is like walking through the red light district in any big city. They only difference being the hookers are making an honest living. Seriously the minute you walk into one of those stores you have people trying to sell you stuff you don't want or need. Best Buy isn't a good experience from the standpoint of the consumer.

I would much rather be approached by an eager salesperson or clerk than to wander throughout a store looking for assistance. I find the former to be refreshing.

• Reply 11 of 11
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

You're a precious one, aren't you? I've spent over $3,000 at Best Buy this year, including a new iPad for myself and a mini for my wife, and I've never had anything but a good experience there. As a Silver member, anything I purchase comes with a 60 day return/exchange policy, which I recently used when I decided to upgrade from a wifi iPad 4 to an LTE iPad 4. The Reward Points are also a nice thing to have, which Apple stores don't offer.

Don't get me wrong, if I have any technical issues I still take my stuff to the Genius Bar instead of Geek Squad, but with prices that are always lower than Apple's stores, I prefer to buy from Best Buy.