Twitter rolls out image filters in app update after Instagram pulls integrated photo viewi...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
Twitter rolled out updates to its official iOS and Android apps on Monday, adding new image editing features including Instagram-like image filters after Instagram halted support for in-app photo viewing on Sunday.

Twitter Filters
Twitter's new filter options as seen in iOS (left) and Android (right). | Source: Twitter

One day after Facebook's Instagram dropped support for Twitter cards, which now results in blank screens when users attempt to view photos, the microblogging giant released an update to its app that brings back some of the lost functionality.

According to Twitter's official blog, the image effects were built by photo editing software company Aviary and include eight different filters. Users can choose from "vignette, black & white, warm, cool, vintage, cinematic, happy and gritty," each offering an Instagram-like feel to photos taken within the Twitter app.

To use the new photo editing feature, users first take a picture and then select a filter of their liking by either tapping on a preview in grid view or swiping through the eight choices to compare how each affects the image.

In addition to filters, Twitter's image editor brings cropping and one-touch auto-enhance capabilities which are implemented in much the same way as Apple's Photos app. Cropping can preserve the original photo's aspect ratio, or bound it into a square for easy viewing on a Twitter timeline.

As of this writing, the iOS version of Twitter's app is not yet available through the App Store, though the company said the download would be available sometime on Monday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Can someone please explain to me why Istragram has chosen to, from my perspective, shoot itself in the foot? Surely I must be missing something.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    FWIW One minute ago I was able to create a photograph in Instagram and post it to Instagram then turn around and select that photograph and share it back to Twitter, where it was visible, without any problem at all. Maybe that's a function unique to the iPhone or Apple products in general or maybe not.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    @solipsismx Nah, you're not missing anything. Instagram (Facebook, really) think it's "a better experience" to view an Instagram image on the instagram website. To my mind, it's a frikkin' image. I don't need to go to a specific website to view an image - it's just a bunch of pixels on a screen, anywhere.

They're shooting themselves in the foot, the leg, the torso, arms and soon, the face. It's gonna hurt them in the long run. I've stopped using Instagram.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    darkpaw wrote: »
    @solipsismx Nah, you're not missing anything. Instagram (Facebook, really) think it's "a better experience" to view an Instagram image on the instagram website. To my mind, it's a frikkin' image. I don't need to go to a specific website to view an image - it's just a bunch of pixels on a screen, anywhere.
    They're shooting themselves in the foot, the leg, the torso, arms and soon, the face. It's gonna hurt them in the long run. I've stopped using Instagram.

It probably goes beyond that. If Instagram images are viewed on Twitter, Google/Instagram gets no impressions on their web site. Therefore, they lose any ad impression revenue accruing as a result of each visitor. In addition, they lose your information because you don't leave as many digital tracks if you don't visit their site.

IOW it's all about the money.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Seems like Aviary got a lot of client and admirer. So far as I know, they have their own app and also being used by (official) Imgur uploader app and now this. I have been using Avairy more and more, admittedly for the meme comment functionality. Good job.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

What's Instagram?

• Reply 7 of 18
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

• Reply 8 of 18

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

What's Instagram?

Utility that makes your pictures look bad on purpose.

• Reply 9 of 18
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    [VIDEO]
  • Reply 10 of 18
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Can someone please explain to me why Istragram has chosen to, from my perspective, shoot itself in the foot? Surely I must be missing something.

Didn't Facepalm purchase Instacrap?
  • Reply 11 of 18

Originally Posted by Dookie Howsre View Post

Didn't Facepalm purchase Instacrap?

The sheer expanse of mocking names for companies never ceases to amaze me. 

Microflaccid, Crapple, Scrotorola, euLoGy, RIP (RIM)…

• Reply 12 of 18

Haven't been prompted to update Twitter in iOS as of yet...

• Reply 13 of 18
    Instagram is not that bright seeing as all those capabilities are built-in APIs to iOS and OS X.
  • Reply 14 of 18

There is a better way to repost, although it takes you out of an app.  Until Google decides to go after them, http://web.stagram.com lets you access your Instagram account and images in a variety of sizes.  You can repost them to Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Tumblr, and Pinterest, as well as save and email them.  I know this looks like a shill post.  It isn't.  I'm just an Instagram user (@slowtonyw) who thinks the issues raised in this thread can be addressed another way. 

I absolutely love Tallest Skil's description of Instagram for mstone.  :) 

• Reply 15 of 18
    The sheer expanse of mocking names for companies never ceases to amaze me. 

Microflaccid, Crapple, Scrotorola, euLoGy, RIP (RIM)…

Possibly inspired by crap names from real companies

• Reply 16 of 18
    Obvious bad blood between facebook and twitter. Makes facebook look like jerks though.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

As these companies race to duplicate each others' extraneous features, they become increasingly hostile towards one another. Unfortunately, it's the customers* who suffer. I wish it was enough to just make a worthwhile product/service and let the market decide, but these shenanigans happen when companies have too many insecure executives.

When McDonald's introduced nicer coffee and Starbucks started serving breakfast, at least I didn't see them openly screwing with each other.

*Yes, these are all free products, so you pay with your personal information. That's a different thread.

• Reply 18 of 18

it is great to add such image processing features on the Android app or ISO device.  it is able to sharpen images add noise and blur effects on images. so we need image filter processing to make our images more beautifully and lively.