Install new X11 over existing OroborOSX/XDarwin?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Can I just install this new package over top of these? Or should I do something to uninstall them. I see that fink has something on their page, but it only talks about fink packages, but what about the oroborOSX and Xdarwin packages? Is there any way for me to uninstall those, or do I need to? I dont' want to install this and have it screw something over that I have to resinstall OSX since my server is unavailable to backup files to.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    what i did, was first uninstall the packages that fink says to. actually, first i quit XDarwin. and then i uninstalled teh stuff fink told me too. and then i installed apple's x11, then their sdk, then fink's system-xfree86. [all per fink's instructions, on their site]. i noticed apple's "X11" program in my applications folder. i 2xclick it. it runs. i haven't tried xdarwin, but i think it'd still work, dont care to try though, cuz "X11" worx [so far...]. this thing from apple is essentially just an apple versoin of XDarwin. only-rootless mode though.

i think it requires using apple's own window manager (quartz-wm), or maybe it only requires it for qe acceleration. i wasn't too attached to any wm to refuse apple's default.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    [quote]Originally posted by thuh Freak:

<strong>what i did, was first uninstall the packages that fink says to. actually, first i quit XDarwin. and then i uninstalled teh stuff fink told me too. and then i installed apple's x11, then their sdk, then fink's system-xfree86. [all per fink's instructions, on their site]. i noticed apple's "X11" program in my applications folder. i 2xclick it. it runs. i haven't tried xdarwin, but i think it'd still work, dont care to try though, cuz "X11" worx [so far...]. this thing from apple is essentially just an apple versoin of XDarwin. only-rootless mode though.

i think it requires using apple's own window manager (quartz-wm), or maybe it only requires it for qe acceleration. i wasn't too attached to any wm to refuse apple's default.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm just a little cautious about using the unix stuff in OSX. I'm a linux person, but OSX is different internally from what I'm using to, and I'm at a point where I don't enjoy reinstalling OSes as much as I used to. I'm not sure exactly what fink does to the libraries of darwin, and I'm not sure what DarwinX installs aside from the .app .
  • Reply 3 of 5
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    [quote]Originally posted by thuh Freak:

<strong>

i think it requires using apple's own window manager (quartz-wm), or maybe it only requires it for qe acceleration. i wasn't too attached to any wm to refuse apple's default.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It says <a href="http://www.apple.com/macosx/x11"; target="_blank">here</a> "Experts may choose to replace the native Aqua window manager with their own familiar, standard X Window Manager."
  • Reply 4 of 5
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    [quote]Originally posted by JBL:

<strong>It says <a href="http://www.apple.com/macosx/x11"; target="_blank">here</a> "Experts may choose to replace the native Aqua window manager with their own familiar, standard X Window Manager."</strong><hr></blockquote>

funny, i remember reading that, but thinking totally different. i had thought they meant replacing all of aqua, with an x11 style wmanager. doesn't really affect me tho, cuz all wms offered me was slightly different decs, and i prefer apple's. i used to look for one with the least drag on the [already hurting] system. cést la vie.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    [quote]Originally posted by pyr3:

<strong>

I'm just a little cautious about using the unix stuff in OSX. I'm a linux person, but OSX is different internally from what I'm using to, and I'm at a point where I don't enjoy reinstalling OSes as much as I used to. I'm not sure exactly what fink does to the libraries of darwin, and I'm not sure what DarwinX installs aside from the .app . </strong><hr></blockquote>

Not really sure, but I thought fink left the darwin libraries alone. I thought it used it's own filesystem within the darwin filesystem.