new ibooks? Macs in medicine?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I am in need of a computer, but I would hate to spend all my hard earned money on an ibook that will be old hat in a few months... Is there any way to know if a new ibook line will be out in the next few months?

Also, does anyone out there use their Mac in the medical field? I refuse to buy anything but a Mac, but I'd like to know if it is a hardship to use one in medicine... thank you thank you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by ddubson:

<strong>I am in need of a computer, but I would hate to spend all my hard earned money on an ibook that will be old hat in a few months... Is there any way to know if a new ibook line will be out in the next few months?

Also, does anyone out there use their Mac in the medical field? I refuse to buy anything but a Mac, but I'd like to know if it is a hardship to use one in medicine... thank you thank you</strong><hr></blockquote>

new iBook is likely within the next few months. Definite I would say by the end of July.

as for medical field usage.. what exactly do you plan on using it for in the medical field. I've seen many macs in doctors' offices in the last year. Both MRI centers I went to had PowerMac G4 doing some of the tests. So they are definitely used
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Depends if you want to network them. Generally, hospital IT managers are fairly shit at their jobs, in my experience (in England)
  • Reply 3 of 10
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member

<strong>I am in need of a computer, but I would hate to spend all my hard earned money on an ibook that will be old hat in a few months... Is there any way to know if a new ibook line will be out in the next few months?

Also, does anyone out there use their Mac in the medical field? I refuse to buy anything but a Mac, but I'd like to know if it is a hardship to use one in medicine... thank you thank you</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes i use it macs at my office

. I use it for the gestion of my Patient's Folder and for some simulation with photoshop on pictures : simulation of a correction of a nose profile for example, or explanation of the operative procedure.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    I pretty much echo what everyone else is saying.

&lt;/EmAn&gt;
  • Reply 5 of 10
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    There are a lot of Macs sprinkled throughout the University Hospital here, and my dentist (not affiliated with the UI Hospitals) has an all-Mac clinic.

Really, it depends on where you end up. If you take a job with clueless IT that demands that everyone run Windows, regardless, then you're screwed. Otherwise, you're fine.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    My wife is a fellow at the National Institute of Allergy, Immunology and Infectious Diseases. That whole institute is all Macs.

I'm sort of in medicine, being a computer scientist at the National Library of Medicine, and I'm a Mac guy, although most people at NLM use PC's.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    Buy the next version of the iBook when it is new. Never spend large amoutns of money on a computer/

What am I saying? Apple always overchargesd.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    At this point, wait on the iBook -- it's six-and-a-half months since they bumped to 600 MHz and one wonders how much of a deal that even was given what some web sites have shown us about successfully overclocking both the clock and the bus speed on the 500/66 models to 600/100.

IBM is in the process of introducing a new line of G3 processors at 700MHz to 1GHz that uses much less power than the current generation MHz for MHz (so think same power draw, faster clock compared to now). I don't think we'll see 1GHz on the iBook before the Powerbook, but maybe 800 MHz with a standard Radeon Mobility graphics chip by Macworld New York? I hope.

[ 04-29-2002: Message edited by: photoeditor ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 10
    arnarn Posts: 21member

<strong>

What part of your medical training are you in?

I'm a Internal Medicine resident... and having a Mac really doesn't come into the picture.

At most, many people have PalmPilots - which you can easily sync on a Mac...

If you're a med student - your individual school may have requirements.

arn
  • Reply 10 of 10
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member

<strong> Is there any way to know if a new ibook line will be out in the next few months?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Try mailing Steve Jobs. He must know.