AppleInsider's free iPhone app now available for download from the App Store

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 78
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


     


    Huge wave of nostalgia.



     


    This gif was actually very hard to find.  Possibly because I can't remember what these things were called.  


     


    I was sure I could find a link to all of them (Mosaic, IE, etc.), but all I found was this single (re-sized) example of one of Netscape's.  

  • Reply 42 of 78
    ireland wrote: »
    There's no need to refresh the app upon every launch. It's very annoying. Give the app a 10 minute timer, so if I haven't launched it in 10 minutes, then refresh. Or no auto-refresh at all. But definitely not the current situation of reloading Every. Single. Time.

    At least, provide that option in 'settings'.
  • Reply 43 of 78
    irelandireland Posts: 17,794member
    ma9roque wrote: »
    Finally

    This "finally" thing started by Gruber is becoming as if not more annoying as when "first" became a thing on YouTube.
  • Reply 44 of 78
    irelandireland Posts: 17,794member
    charlituna wrote: »
    IIRC that is patented, by Apple, and not part of the SDK. So this company would have to license it and possibly don't have the funds etc

    Not true:

    http://prassan-warrior.blogspot.ie/2012/11/ios-6-pull-to-refresh-tutorial.html?m=1
  • Reply 45 of 78
    irelandireland Posts: 17,794member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Twitter's is free.
    I prefer the original, too. Apple's is release to refresh, not pull to refresh. I know it's a nitpicky point but to me that it a huge difference in the way it feels.

    It's part of Xcode and iOS, and it's free. Brichter's is more release to refresh than Apple's. Apple's doesn't have a release function, it's pull only. And it's a far more elegant and seamless design.

    http://www.intertech.com/Blog/Post/iOS-6-Pull-to-Refresh-(UIRefreshControl).aspx
  • Reply 46 of 78


    I'm sure some folks are glad to see this.  For me, I prefer mobile safari, because many times I'll put my phone down and pick up the article on the Mac or iPad.  And vice versa.


     


    To each his or her own, though :-)

  • Reply 47 of 78

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Kesem View Post



    I'm sure the app is great, but I prefer to get to you via Safari. That way I can go from one site to another more easily. I'm not into all the news apps. I have too many already.


     


    Didn't see your comment before posting the exact same thing.  Agree.

  • Reply 48 of 78
    philboogie wrote: »
    App is nice. Just wish it would actually do push notification; I installed it last week and haven't received any since. Still, good job AI, much appreciate it!

    Well, just received a push notification, so skip previous comment. Dzzz, possibly I was a beta tester....(thanks TS)
  • Reply 49 of 78
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Huge wave of nostalgia.

    This gif was actually very hard to find.  Possibly because I can't remember what these things were called.  

    I was sure I could find a link to all of them (Mosaic, IE, etc.), but all I found was this single (re-sized) example of one of Netscape's.  

    Maybe it wouldn't been easier to find if you'd used the Netscape/Yahoo combo¡ Seriously, I often cannot find stuff with Google, but it is very likely that I'm just poor ith searching. Then again, I don't think PageRank is the right way to go that Google created.

    Nice sig!
  • Reply 50 of 78

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post



    No Android version?

    (sarcasm)


    You say that sarcastically but as someone such as me who visits AI everyday and is stuck with a POS Android phone it is a legit question.  No Android version?

  • Reply 51 of 78
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Very nice. Finally I can read the comments using an iPhone. They are very hard to read with a web browser on the iphone.
  • Reply 52 of 78
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jivanile wrote: »
    You say that sarcastically but as someone such as me who visits AI everyday and is stuck with a POS Android phone it is a legit question.  No Android version?

    From what I've seen from most Android apps you're better off with the mobile version of the site.
  • Reply 53 of 78
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    This gif was actually very hard to find.  Possibly because I can't remember what these things were called.  

    I was sure I could find a link to all of them (Mosaic, IE, etc.), but all I found was this single (re-sized) example of one of Netscape's.  

    I believe they were called Throbbers... Does that sound right?
  • Reply 54 of 78
    irelandireland Posts: 17,794member
    That comment system you're looking at us the same web view on iPhone from before this app. Comments have been that way for a couple of weeks now.
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    Very nice. Finally I can read the comments using an iPhone. They are very hard to read with a web browser on the iphone.
  • Reply 55 of 78
    solipsismx wrote: »
    From what I've seen from most Android apps you're better off with the mobile version of the site.

    And given the low browser share compared to Mobile Safari, I'd say very few would bother :)
  • Reply 56 of 78
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    And given the low browser share compared to Mobile Safari, I'd say very few would bother :)

    That's only because they all use apps and/or change their user agents to say it's an iPhone¡
  • Reply 57 of 78
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,341member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post



    No Android version?

    (sarcasm)


     


    Not really sarcasm. There's a fairly large contingent of Apple hating losers who infest Apple centric sites like AI spouting their superiority drivel and predictions of doom. Why leave them out? I'm thinking DAHarder for example. 

  • Reply 58 of 78


    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

    Why leave them out?


     


    That much less headache. Seems like a big pro.


     


    Oh, this actually gives me an idea. A(n enthusiast) forum… in iOS (and Mac App Store) app(lication) form ONLY. One can only access it through an iOS app. And it's afforded all the UI and interaction possibilities of the iOS platform that web development can't. 

  • Reply 59 of 78
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member


    When will it be available for my Samsung??  /s

     

  • Reply 60 of 78
    jivanile wrote: »
    You say that sarcastically but as someone such as me who visits AI everyday and is stuck with a POS Android phone it is a legit question.  No Android version?

    At least you were honest about it. The concern trolls who frequent this site would say something like "I love Apple, but..." which is usually followed by pages of supposed "rational and unbiased" criticism of iOS not being Android enough. I'd like to hear these guys say, "I'm an Apple fan, but... can I get this app ported to Android, oh, for no particular reason?" That would be funny.
Sign In or Register to comment.