Rumor: Apple moving up next-gen iPad mini production, release date still unknown

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Component makers for the second-generation iPad mini are supposedly preparing for an earlier-than-expected time to market, says one analyst, though the exact timeframe is in question as Apple has yet to complete the global rollout of the first-generation model.

iPad mini

According to a research note from RBC Capital Markets analyst Doug Freedman, who is in China visiting supply chain sources, chipmakers are already making preparations for the second-generation iPad mini, reports CNET's Brooke Crothers.

"iPad Mini Gen-2: Apple's gen-2 iPad mini is getting pulled-in, and is likely to have several new suppliers, with TXN gaining content," Freedman wrote.

Crothers believes the term "pulled-in" implies that Apple may be moving up its production schedule for the mid-size tablet, but notes the information is of little use as no rumors have surfaced pertaining to the next-gen mini's release.

It appears that Texas Instruments, referred to as "TXN" in Freedman's note, will build on its already important presence as a component supplier for future iDevice products. It remains unclear what "new suppliers" will be added to the roster, though Apple has reportedly been looking for ways to diversify the supply of crucial internal components away from rival Samsung.

The report comes on the heels of a separate rumor that claimed Apple will be focusing its efforts on bumping the next-gen iPad mini's screen resolution to be more in line with current Retina display offerings like the fourth-generation iPad and iPhone 5.

Apple is still in the midst of completing a worldwide rollout, most recently debuting the 7.9-inch tablet to the Chinese market at the start of December. It was reported on Tuesday that the Chinese Telecommunication Equipment Certification Center granted network licenses for cellular-enabled versions of the iPad mini, with the units though to be launching soon through Apple partner carriers China Unicom and China Telecom.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Oh, an ANALYST!

Then it MUST be true.
  • Reply 2 of 69
    They put the Anal in Analyst...
  • Reply 3 of 69
    According to a research note from RBC Capital Markets analyst Doug Freedman, who is in China visiting supply chain sources, chipmakers are already making preparations for the second-generation iPad mini, reports CNET's Brooke Crothers.

"iPad Mini Gen-2: Apple's gen-2 iPad mini is getting pulled-in, and is likely to have several new suppliers, with TXN gaining content," Freedman wrote.

It appears that Texas Instruments, referred to as "TXN" in Freedman's note, will build on its already important presence as a component supplier for future iDevice products. It remains unclear what "new suppliers" will be added to the roster

Yo Mr. Freeman:

• Reply 4 of 69
    I still think Retina is unlikely with the same size and weight until 2014 because of Rogue 6 and the trailing year for the iPad mini ASIC but I hope I'm wrong.
  • Reply 5 of 69

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Yo Mr. Freeman:

• Reply 7 of 69
    Man, Apple is all over the shop. Not good. Glad I'm switching to Android.
  • Reply 8 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I still think Retina is unlikely with the same size and weight until 2014 because of Rogue 6 and the trailing year for the iPad mini ASIC but I hope I'm wrong.

I also think retina is unlikely, mainly because retina is actually the only advantage of the $499 standard iPad now compared to the mini, and so there's no incentive for Apple to kill it's higher margin/revenue per unit product. 

But a premium mini model that cost $429 for 16gb with a close to 1080p display (and software update to downscale retina back to that resolution)? That'd be my bet. 

• Reply 9 of 69
    zozman wrote: »

Lol! Seems like some serious DOJ action needs to hit on these so called anal-yst's lately who seems to suspiciously put out a report that "Apple is pushing up production of the next iPad mini" retorts... Wasn't it just last week that "the iPhone 5s" is going into production for an early release?

Seems to me this is either Samsung or others who use this "hold and bait strategy" trying to blunt Apples sales..No different than "anal-yst's" calling sales figures and projections based on little or no factoid.

I mean how do you guess that the iPhone 5 isn't selling well based on rumors of lowered parts orders for next quarter? And how is it that they are worried about lowered margins when there is no historical data on the mini as of yet? I mean if the mini sells double projections but the iPad 4 sells a bit less, margins won't be affected one bit because of VOLUME. Add in the iPad 2... Technically this is the first holiday season of THREE iPad models being avail. Duh. Not one anal-yst mentions that metric. Duh.

From my own checks at retail and around circles here in L.A. The 5 and minis are selling incredibly well in fact. It seems the mini is getting a delayed buzz once it's target market saw it, bought it, and n fact loved it -- to the dismay of oh so many that said it would flop - suffering from retin-itis. I seriously think Apples playbook is working just fine actually.
  • Reply 10 of 69
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

I also think retina is unlikely, mainly because retina is actually the only advantage of the $499 standard iPad now compared to the mini, and so there's no incentive for Apple to kill it's higher margin/revenue per unit product. 

But a premium mini model that cost $429 for 16gb with a close to 1080p display (and software update to downscale retina back to that resolution)? That'd be my bet. 

Apple won’t saddle devs with some weird or non-sharply-doubled res: the Mini is the same DPI as the iPhone 3GS. The retina Mini (some day) will be the same DPI (and probably re-use the same manufacturing process) as the iPhone 4-5 screen. Identical res to the larger iPad (much greater than 1080p).

But I agree that it’s not coming soon, much as I want it!

You have a good solution for the price problem—make it a high end model but keep non-retina models on the low end. Just like Apple does with the iPad itself (and used to with the iPhone). But I think it will work this way:

- Current iPad Mini drops in price to become a new low-end price point. Apple loves to have their cheaper models be “designed for free” by re-using previous higher-end models. Which makes a lot of sense.

- Retina iPad Mini will take over the current price points.

As for timing? I CAN believe Apple MIGHT shift to a 6-month product cycle, but I don’t think a Mini with retina will come in 6 months. Even a year would surprise me: I predict 2014. The Mini demands not just a low price, but battery life—and battery life with a SMALL (thin and light) battery. Hard to make that happen with a power-hungry retina display AND the GPU needed to make it drive all those pixels fast. Apple will meet that challenge (the iPhone 5 already seems impossible on those same issues) but I’m pessimistic about the timing. Next fall at the earliest, I say; Fall 2104 at the latest. Spring 2014 likely.

I’d love to be wrong because I need a 128GB retina Mini in the worst way....

• Reply 11 of 69
    Pulling in the 2nd gen iPad Mini would probably make it even less likely that it'll have a retina display. It's not like there's been a breakthrough in display or battery tech in the last 2 months since the iPad Mini was announced and there isn't likely to be one in the next few months for a pulled in release. With the iPad 5 expected to be redesigned to be thinner and lighter, if the iPad Mini 2 becomes thicker and heavier to accommodate the Retina display that really cuts into the point of the iPad Mini.

I'm still holding that a 2nd gen iPad Mini will use a 28nm A6 (either a 28nm Samsung shrink or a 28nm TSMC test chip) with a 1024x768 IPS screen but laminated to the cover glass and with full color gamut and increased contrast to cut reflections and enable each pixel to be more distinct even though there aren't more of them.

March 2013 when iPads normally are released would be too short (only 5 months). I'm guessing a pulled in release means a June WWDC launch. I could see an iPad 5 with A7 and Rogue and an A6 iPad Mini 2 coming out in June. That'll be a 8 month product cycle which is similar to the cycle seen between the iPad 3 and 4.
  • Reply 12 of 69
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Man, Apple is all over the shop. Not good. Glad I'm switching to Android.

"switching"??  You mean like in the near future??

Man, based on your post history Mr. Drive-by Fandroid Troll, you can't even troll properly.  Buzz off.

• Reply 13 of 69
    Does this mean the schedule's now thus ....?

PRODUCT RELEASE MONTH

iPadMini March

iPad October

I hate to think so, 'cause I skipped iPad 3 & 4 because of the weight & the long charge times.

If I have to wait until October 2013 for iPad 5,
    then that means I'll be stuck using a 2-generation old iPad for almost another year ....

I mean, don't get me wrong -- my iPad 2 has served me quite well.
    It even runs the latest graphically intensive [like the highly disappointing "Modern Combat 4", for example
    & presumably, "Real Racing 3"] games flawlessly.

It's just that, you know ....
    If I don't have the latest iPad, I feel left out, somehow.
    Plus, 2 1/2 years using the same iPad's wayyy too long.
  • Reply 14 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

His name is Mr. Doug FreeDman. The analyst.
  • Reply 15 of 69
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    sflocal wrote: »
    "switching"??  You mean like in the near future??

Man, based on your post history Mr. Drive-by Fandroid Troll, you can't even troll properly.  Buzz off.

LOL, have you actually seen my post history? "Switching" because I have an iPad3, iPhone5, iPhone4. Now using my Xperia S as my main phone and Nexus 7 as main tablet. Still using Mac for computer.

Hence in the process of switching, still learning a lot about Android.

Did I call anyone names? No, just discussing what's going on.

In reference to the iPad mini, what does it say that Apple themselves are perhaps concerned the iPad mini may not face the challenges of 7" Android tablets coming out 2013-2014? Personally I didn't like the iPad mini screen, and without Scott Forstall I am doubtful about iOS improving at a decent rate. Rock solid stable, yes, but starting to become somewhat dated for more-than-casual users.

I await a legitimate response from you.
  • Reply 16 of 69
    I have always seen the specification of the Mini as a 'xmas special'.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 17 of 69

I agree with this article, http://www.asymco.com/2012/12/06/does-s-stand-for-spring/ , about semi-annual refresh rates on iDevices going forward. Time will tell, but I hope this pans out.

• Reply 18 of 69
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gijoeinla View Post

Lol! Seems like some serious DOJ action needs to hit on these so called anal-yst's lately who seems to suspiciously put out a report that "Apple is pushing up production of the next iPad mini" retorts... Wasn't it just last week that "the iPhone 5s" is going into production for an early release?

Seems to me this is either Samsung or others who use this "hold and bait strategy" trying to blunt Apples sales..No different than "anal-yst's" calling sales figures and projections based on little or no factoid.

I mean how do you guess that the iPhone 5 isn't selling well based on rumors of lowered parts orders for next quarter? And how is it that they are worried about lowered margins when there is no historical data on the mini as of yet? I mean if the mini sells double projections but the iPad 4 sells a bit less, margins won't be affected one bit because of VOLUME. Add in the iPad 2... Technically this is the first holiday season of THREE iPad models being avail. Duh. Not one anal-yst mentions that metric. Duh.

From my own checks at retail and around circles here in L.A. The 5 and minis are selling incredibly well in fact. It seems the mini is getting a delayed buzz once it's target market saw it, bought it, and n fact loved it -- to the dismay of oh so many that said it would flop - suffering from retin-itis. I seriously think Apples playbook is working just fine actually.

Many good & interesting points, i think they are anal-ysts because of where they get their information :p

what bugs me is something i read everywhere online, random places.

The sill idea that, what has apple done to innovate in phones & tablets?, big deal, the iPad mini is just a small iPad 2, but that samsung are real market leaders, the galaxy S3 (even tho everything about it was predictable by the rest of the android market) was somehow a cool & new idea (even tho 2 weeks earlier the HTC one X came out, which is the S3 basically cloned) 

This seems to be because of samsungs PR. they aren't innovating in anything but the public love them & the word that apple is evil is what people seem to think, apple need to work on this, pretty badly, its hitting sales i think.

Samsung use new media, facebook & stuff pretty well, word of mouth, everyone wants to be different & apple is 'the man' apparently, everyone wants to be unique but they go about it the same way :p 

You guys might think im nuts, but this is what im seeing around me. 

• Reply 19 of 69
    Apple is going aggressive on all tablet manufacturers to dominate the market.
  • Reply 20 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

That's clever. Never heard that one before. :D