Rumor: Alleged cheaper iPhone may feature U.S.-made chassis with "see-through" design

Comments

• Reply 61 of 87

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

Can a prepaid phone offer apple leverage at the point of sale to undo the bias salesmen have for pushing the crap phones over iPhone?

No, since nearly everywhere in the world but the US sells the iPhone on a prepaid plan already.

• Reply 62 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

For this to make sense, at least to me, the introduction of this cheaper iPhone should happen this summer, alongside the introduction of the iPhone 5S. And furthermore, the introduction will introduce a new iPhone strategy for Apple whereby as they bring out their new high end model each year they drop all older models of the iPhone completely and have the cheaper iPhone available alongside it.

So at any one time you've got the 1 latest and greatest in a few storage sizes, and one latest and cheapest in one small size. This would simplify the product lineup for people, in my mind. Do you want the 5S or the cheaper model? If you want the cheaper model, here you go, it's an 8GB phone made using clear plastic so you don't even need to choose a colour. If you want the 5S you can choose from black and white and 16-64 GB. Do you want to spend as little money on an iPhone as possible and yet still get a new iPhone? Or do you want the latest and greatest?

Many would select the cheapest... so I would expect any such phone to be sold in emerging markets only, otherwise profits will tank.

A budget phone will be sold to solidify iOS in certain markets only.  And will have to have sufficiently less features to justify the price difference from the premium phones.

• Reply 63 of 87
    blackbook wrote: »
    Where did you find that mockup?

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/01/05/new-ipod-nano-iphone-6-design/

I must say, Safari didn't help me here, with a couple of hours on the internet, nee, using Safari, the History pulldown could use a time indicator because the list gets quite long after a few hours use...

Anyhoo, there are way more mockups that one (possibly might) want to see:

link

Searching the internet, it looks like the iPhone nano is 'an oldie'

iPhone Shuffle:

Colored aluminum would be "cool" and classier.

You mean rust/corrosion
    http://www.tuaw.com/2012/05/29/how-anodizing-aluminum-finishes-apples-products/

(poor link, but ok, many better articles out there)
  • Reply 64 of 87
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    blackbook wrote:
    I personally think the current Nano form factor should have been for an iPhone and the iPod Nano should have remained a wrist watch. 

It could have been used for an iPhone, sorta like this (possibly widescreen):

but it's best to be able to type with a qwerty keyboard in portrait. If they come up with some other method of typing like a motion sensing ticker-tape letter strip or something (you'd just hover your thumb over the screen at the bottom left and right and it would slide the single line of letters left/right with Dock-style Zoom and tap to select) or even just zoom up the keyboard while hovering that might work but they have to cram a keyboard into a smaller width or force landscape typing.

I could see it being a good option for young teenagers but they might not be able to support wifi + sim card + antenna + extra battery in something that is still a lot smaller and cheaper than the iPhone 4.
    blackbook wrote:
    When has Digitimes ever even been sometimes reliable?

They're at least reliably wrong so whenever they say something, we now know it's complete rubbish, which helps filter the bad rumours out.
  • Reply 65 of 87
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    What a load of DigiTimes crap! That publications dick-wadness grows by the day.
  • Reply 66 of 87
    ireland wrote: »
    Did you make that up? It's genius!

Thanks, yes.
  • Reply 67 of 87
    these people do all the drugs known to the planet. honestly they are idiots.
  • Reply 68 of 87
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    philboogie wrote: »
    http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/01/05/new-ipod-nano-iphone-6-design/

I must say, Safari didn't help me here, with a couple of hours on the internet, nee, using Safari, the History pulldown could use a time indicator because the list gets quite long after a few hours use...

Anyhoo, there are way more mockups that one (possibly might) want to see:

link

Searching the internet, it looks like the iPhone nano is 'an oldie'

iPhone Shuffle:

You mean rust/corrosion
    http://www.tuaw.com/2012/05/29/how-anodizing-aluminum-finishes-apples-products/

(poor link, but ok, many better articles out there)

Very nice stuff.

I clicked the link for the original iPhone Nano photo and of course a lot of people said it looked the Lumia :facepalm:

Spider iPhone is too weird and iPhone shuffle is absolutely ridiculous.

Very cool link for the anodized aluminum. Learn something new every day :D
  • Reply 69 of 87
    Marvin wrote: »
    It could have been used for an iPhone, sorta like this (possibly widescreen):

but it's best to be able to type with a qwerty keyboard in portrait. If they come up with some other method of typing like a motion sensing ticker-tape letter strip or something (you'd just hover your thumb over the screen at the bottom left and right and it would slide the single line of letters left/right with Dock-style Zoom and tap to select) or even just zoom up the keyboard while hovering that might work but they have to cram a keyboard into a smaller width or force landscape typing.

I could see it being a good option for young teenagers but they might not be able to support wifi + sim card + antenna + extra battery in something that is still a lot smaller and cheaper than the iPhone 4.
    They're at least reliably wrong so whenever they say something, we now know it's complete rubbish, which helps filter the bad rumours out.

You're right it'd be impossible to type on something too narrow. How does typing/search work on the current Nano?

For a phone where texting would probably be its biggest use that should definitely be the prime consideration.

I think they could use the current 3.5 inch screen and shrink the body of the phone around it and maybe get rid of the home button?
  • Reply 70 of 87

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

How does typing/search work on the current Nano?

You just don't. I think the voice commands from the 3rd gen iPod shuffle are there, but other than that, you don't.

…maybe get rid of the home button?

Not gonna happen.

• Reply 71 of 87
    You just don't. I think the voice commands from the 3rd gen iPod shuffle are there, but other than that, you don't.

Really? I know on the 5G Nano (and every other iPod with a click wheel) you could use the click wheel to type. I didn't know the newer ones were voice only.

Not gonna happen.

Well Apple did get rid of the click wheel and all other buttons and made a buttonless iPod Nano before...

They technically and feasibly could do the same for an iPhone Nano.
  • Reply 72 of 87

Well Apple did get rid of the click wheel and all other buttons and made a buttonless iPod Nano before...

They technically and feasibly could do the same for an iPhone Nano.

Well, are we assuming it runs iOS or Pixo OS?

• Reply 73 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, are we assuming it runs iOS or Pixo OS?

I'm just saying Apple has done crazy things before (remember the buttonless iPod shuffle?) so I wouldn't be surprised if they axed the home button on an iOS device in the near future.

• Reply 74 of 87

I'm just saying Apple has done crazy things before (remember the buttonless iPod shuffle?) so I wouldn't be surprised if they axed the home button on an iOS device in the near future.

Replacing it with what? The functionality is required. And take note: gestures lock up when an app does.

• Reply 75 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Replacing it with what? The functionality is required. And take note: gestures lock up when an app does.

True. But Apple is moving forward and the home button isn't going to be there forever. I'm sure they're figuring out solutions for the iOS post-home button.

There have been some good ideas communicated on the forums such as turning the whole front panel into a "trackpad-esque" button, that would be firm enough not to accidentally be triggered when using the screen, but function as the home button when the lower part of the screen panel is pressed.

Of course Apple had their solution on the 6G Nano of backward swipe. On an iPhone that could be a 2 finger swipe. The iPad already has gestures that take the place of the home button.

And when gestures fail the lock button will still be there...

• Reply 76 of 87

They screwed up with the first iPod touch having no dedicated volume up and down buttons, and added them with the 2nd gen. Hardware buttons are simply required sometimes, even though Steve didn't like them.

Not to make a point, but it's related (from the bio):
    One sunny afternoon, when he wasn’t feeling well, Jobs sat in the garden behind his house and reflected on death. He talked about his experiences in India almost four decades earlier, his study of Buddhism, and his views on reincarnation and spiritual transcendence. “I’m about fifty-fifty on believing in God,” he said. “For most of my life, I’ve felt that there must be more to our existence than meets the eye.”
    He admitted that, as he faced death, he might be overestimating the odds out of a desire to believe in an afterlife. “I like to think that something survives after you die,” he said. “It’s strange to think that you accumulate all this experience, and maybe a little wisdom, and it just goes away. So I really want to believe that something survives, that maybe your consciousness endures.”
    He fell silent for a very long time. “But on the other hand, perhaps it’s like an on-off switch,” he said. “Click! And you’re gone.”
    Then he paused again and smiled slightly. “Maybe that’s why I never liked to put on-off switches on Apple devices.”
  • Reply 77 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Not to make a point, but it's related (from the bio):

One sunny afternoon, when he wasn’t feeling well, Jobs sat in the garden behind his house and reflected on death. He talked about his experiences in India almost four decades earlier, his study of Buddhism, and his views on reincarnation and spiritual transcendence. “I’m about fifty-fifty on believing in God,” he said. “For most of my life, I’ve felt that there must be more to our existence than meets the eye.”

He admitted that, as he faced death, he might be overestimating the odds out of a desire to believe in an afterlife. “I like to think that something survives after you die,” he said. “It’s strange to think that you accumulate all this experience, and maybe a little wisdom, and it just goes away. So I really want to believe that something survives, that maybe your consciousness endures.”

He fell silent for a very long time. “But on the other hand, perhaps it’s like an on-off switch,” he said. “Click! And you’re gone.”

Then he paused again and smiled slightly. “Maybe that’s why I never liked to put on-off switches on Apple devices.”

I just love Steve Jobs. What an amazing excerpt of the bio.

• Reply 78 of 87

True. But Apple is moving forward and the home button isn't going to be there forever.

Right, and they'll remove it when it's no longer iOS. But it's gonna be iOS for a good long while.

There have been some good ideas communicated on the forums such as turning the whole front panel into a "trackpad-esque" button, that would be firm enough not to accidentally be triggered when using the screen, but function as the home button when the lower part of the screen panel is pressed.

There's a reason the BlackBerry Storm and Storm 2 sucked so many metaphorical eggs. And it was basically that.

Of course Apple had their solution on the 6G Nano of backward swipe.

Not iOS. Different story. You can't assign that swipe to that function; it breaks every app ever made.

On an iPhone that could be a 2 finger swipe.

Again, breaks apps.

The iPad already has gestures that take the place of the home button.

And I specifically stated those gestures lock up when an app locks up. So you HAVE to have a hardware "out".

And when gestures fail the lock button will still be there...

Which doesn't take you out of the app, so it solves nothing. I suppose if you want to forcibly shut your device down every time an app hangs, that's one way of doing it.

It's the Windows 98 way, but it's a way.

• Reply 79 of 87

Right, and they'll remove it when it's no longer iOS. But it's gonna be iOS for a good long while.

There's a reason the BlackBerry Storm and Storm 2 sucked so many metaphorical eggs. And it was basically that.

Not iOS. Different story. You can't assign that swipe to that function; it breaks every app ever made.

Again, breaks apps.

And I specifically stated those gestures lock up when an app locks up. So you HAVE to have a hardware "out".

Which doesn't take you out of the app, so it solves nothing. I suppose if you want to forcibly shut your device down every time an app hangs, that's one way of doing it.

It's the Windows 98 way, but it's a way.

Ah yes now I remember the Blackberry Storm. Seems like such a distant terrible memory.

And you're also right about relying on software because androids with no buttons freeze when apps crash and have to be rebooted.

The home button is a nice fail safe for now but I still think Apple will bid rid of it on an iOS device in the future.
  • Reply 80 of 87
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Ah yes now I remember the Blackberry Storm. Seems like such a distant terrible memory.

And you're also right about relying on software because androids with no buttons freeze when apps crash and have to be rebooted.

The home button is a nice fail safe for now but I still think Apple will bid rid of it on an iOS device in the future.

Gruber got into it on one of his talk shows, how fundamental the home button is on iOS devices, and how frustrating the lack of one is on Android devices. Something about how a little kid will come to rely on it to get out of trouble, how it is a touchstone for the device in an important psychological way for all of us.

There's a reason why it's called the "Home" button. We need for there to be a place to always go to, and I suspect they've given a huge amount of thought to its feel, reliability, and its meaning as the node point where the software meets the hardware and our fingers. That little house icon on an Android phone causes an instant, strange rise of hostility in me. I don't think I can get past it, and so I'll never be a candidate for crossing over. What they've done, Android, is abstracted Home, and I don't think you should ever do that.