Stock continuing to tank...

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014

Down another 2% today. It's way past ridiculous.

At this point, it is incumbent upon Apple's senior management to come out and address it in some measure, with a public statement. I can't recall such a precipitous drop occurring since Jan 2007 (iPhone intro). 

I also reiterate that a massive share repurchase might be in order (along with -- even if it's cosmetic -- a stock split, as others have pointed out).

I predict a major roasting -- or shall I say, management getting 'Cook'ed -- at the upcoming shareholder meeting.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

At this point, it is incumbent upon Apple's senior management to come out and address it in some measure, with a public statement. I can't recall such a precipitous drop occurring since Jan 2007 (iPhone intro). 

I also reiterate that a massive share repurchase might be in order (along with -- even if it's cosmetic -- a stock split, as others have pointed out).

I predict a major roasting -- or shall I say, management getting 'Cook'ed -- at the upcoming shareholder meeting.

Apple should increase the dividend to, let's say, 4-5% yield, and repurchase shares.  That would definitely stabilize the share price, likely increase it even.  Until that happens though, expect to see more of the same.  

Investors don't like seeing all that money in the bank.  Apple has had supply chain issues, money can fix that.  Investors want income, dividends fix that.  A share repurchase will also stimulate demand for the stock by making less of it available on the market, which again is good for the share price.  

• Reply 2 of 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Technically it looks like it could drop another 5%, but it'll probably bounce at least once before that happens.

• Reply 3 of 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

Apple should increase the dividend to, let's say, 4-5% yield, and repurchase shares.  

My personal view is that even the dividend initiation was a mistake (it just attracts a completely new type of investor clientele that gets into a war with those in the stock for its growth), let alone a dividend increase now.

I think that something that did not signal payout permanence -- such as a special dividend or even better, a stock repurchase (for tax reasons) -- would be better.