Engagement Ring Questions

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014

Sometime in the next few months I plan on proposing to my girlfriend.  I have done a lot of research and reading about engagement rings and have met with a local jeweler a couple of times.  The price that I have been quoted for the ring we designed seems a bit high to me, and I am trying to determine if I am being overcharged, and/or if there is any room for me to negotiate on the price.

The design I have decided upon will be an 18k yellow gold shank with a platinum head.  The stones that will be mounted (currently) are an AGS000-triple ideal 0.40ct, D, SI2 center stone with two 0.16ct stones of same color and clarity (one on either side).

The current composition makes the ring 0.72ctw between the three stones.  The price that is being asked is $4050 and that just seems very steep.  I understand that I am getting the best (or close to the best) possible cut, and the best color, but I have found many comparable rings/stones for quite a bit less.

If the price is fair I can handle it - the stones truly seem to glow and sparkle in the dark, and I know brilliance is of utmost importance when it comes to a diamond.  But since the market is so fluctuating and often extremely inflated, I would like to be able to get a fair price for the ring.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.