Apple grabs more than 20% of global PC market in Q4 2012

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Counting tablets, Apple's share of worldwide PC shipments surpassed 20 percent for the first time ever during the last quarter of 2012, one research firm reported on Wednesday, with the iPad accounting for one in every six shipped computers.

iPad mini

Data from research firm Canalys shows Apple's PC shipments rose to 27 million units ? 23 million iPads and 4 million Macs ? over the three-month period ending in December.

Driving Apple's push was the iPad mini, which was estimated to account for over half of the company's tablet shipments.

"Apple timed the launch of the iPad mini well," said Canalys Research Analyst Pin-Chen Tang. "Its success proves there is a clear demand for pads with smaller screens at a more affordable price.
Without the launch, Apple would surely have lost more ground to its competitors."

Despite seeing record-breaking numbers, the iPad lineup garnered 49 percent of the overall tablet market, dropping its share below 50 percent for the first time since the device was released in 2010.

For the fourth quarter, the tablet segment grew some 75 percent year-over-year to reach 46.2 million units, contributing to the 114.6 million devices shipped over 2012. Netbook shipments were flat, according to the firm.

Behind Apple was HP and Lenovo, which came in second and third, respectively, on shipments of roughly 15 million units each.

Samsung entered the top five for the first time after strong tablet demand brought the company's PC shipments up to 11.7 million units. Low-cost products pushed the Korean company's tablet shipments to 7.6 million tablets over the last quarter of 2012, a 226 percent increase from last year.

"The sub-$200 price bands now feature products from established players that do not rely on low-quality components," said Research Analyst Tom Evans. "Those who control ecosystems, such as Amazon and Google, can obtain revenue from content sales, but pure hardware OEMs must accept decreasing margins or exit."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    Definitely a reason to short AAPL...

SELL, SELL, SELL!
  • Reply 2 of 60
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Oh no!

The descent continues. 20% is less than more than 20%. Doom.
  • Reply 3 of 60
    How is it that they know how many tablets Samsung shipped? I thought Samsung didn't give out that number.
  • Reply 4 of 60

This is it!!! AAPL is finished. DOOM's DAY! 

• Reply 5 of 60
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    sacto joe wrote: »
    How is it that they know how many tablets Samsung shipped? I thought Samsung didn't give out that number.

They made it up. Just like all the other numbers they use for Android products.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    Include tablets in the global PC market stats? Since Microsoft wants to confuse Windows users these new compromised laptop tablet hybrids, why the hell not?
  • Reply 7 of 60
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Counting tablets, Apple's share of worldwide PC shipments surpassed 20 percent for the first time ever during the last quarter of 2012, one research firm reported on Wednesday, with the iPad accounting for one in every six shipped computers.

While there's nothing technically wrong with including tablets in PC sales (as long as they explain what they are doing), I think this is extremely misleading. For most people, "PC" means one thing and tablet means another. Yes, there's some overlap in what they can do, but there's also overlap with mobile phones, AppleTV, a SmartTV, and even some cars. Just because an item can be used to perform some of the functions of a PC doesn't mean that it's useful to include it in the 'PC' category.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Hey Canalys, I can make up numbers too. Apple has released number, no one else has.
  • Reply 9 of 60

This is 103% B.S. ;)

• Reply 10 of 60
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Shouldn't that be 20% of the sales for given period? Unless of course "market share" does not include any device ever sold in the prior history of the universe outside of the period being reported.
  • Reply 11 of 60

Am I the only one who actually doesn't want to see Apple take over the PC industry? As much as I love Apple products I prefer they remain a secondary or third product to Windows. Cause once they become the frontrunner in every category (phones, tablets, PCs) then Apple's image and perception will inevitably change and I happen to think it will go down hill from there. 

• Reply 12 of 60
    Am I the only one who actually doesn't want to see Apple take over the PC industry? As much as I love Apple products I prefer they remain a secondary or third product to Windows. Cause once they become the frontrunner in every category (phones, tablets, PCs) then Apple's image and perception will inevitably change and I happen to think it will go down hill from there.
  • Reply 13 of 60
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    If this data is true, who exactly is selling 51% of all tablets in the world?
  • Reply 14 of 60
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 15 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhoIsYoMacDaddy View Post

Cause once they become the frontrunner in every category (phones, tablets, PCs) then Apple's image and perception will inevitably change and I happen to think it will go down hill from there.

Apple has already gone down in my opinion. Their software still works but now the OS is getting plugged up with lots of stuff I'll never use or even want to use. Lately I've read about many bugs in OS X but Apple doesn't bother to fix them in a timely manner.  The features they offer seem to be geared towards entertainment.

I wish they would make a better office suite. They need to knock MS Office off its pedestal. We know they have the resources but they put everything into iOS development.  

Their hardware is pretty but not always top of the line. Only last year did they grab some of the best chips for their machines. Before that they were putting in medium level components and charging premium prices. They're still doing that in the iMacs and Minis. They're using laptop parts in those and charging desktop premium prices.

Apple just needs to make a game console to complete their transition from cutting edge computer and software manufacturer to entertainment hardware manufacturer. Maybe I shouldn't say manufacturer. Instead, it should be designer, since they have other companies actually manufacture things for them.

Actually I'm the one with the problem, not Apple. I drank the Apple Kool Aid and fell in love with the company a few years ago. Now they have gone in a direction that isn't where I wish they had gone. That direction is away from cutting edge computing and more toward entertainment hardware that works well and is beautiful. When I think about where they're headed, I might as well be a supporter of Mattel. They make great toys too.

• Reply 16 of 60
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Actually I'm the one with the problem, not Apple.

Yep.
  • Reply 17 of 60
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member

Shouldn't the headline read Apple grabs more than 99% of the global PC market?

I mean, Apple alone in the cosmos reports what is sells. 

I thought that every other company just make products, ship them to resellers, and nobody ever buys them.

None.

They just disappear ...

• Reply 18 of 60

I could not agree more it is miss leading.  This is the only firm that does this and it makes them look like they are in Apple's pocket and therefore no one takes them seriously.  I am a huge fan of Apple products but for the vast majority of people a PC and a Tablet are not the same.

• Reply 19 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Brilliant response.
  • Reply 20 of 60
    jragosta wrote: »
    While there's nothing technically wrong with including tablets in PC sales (as long as they explain what they are doing), I think this is extremely misleading. For most people, "PC" means one thing and tablet means another. Yes, there's some overlap in what they can do, but there's also overlap with mobile phones, AppleTV, a SmartTV, and even some cars. Just because an item can be used to perform some of the functions of a PC doesn't mean that it's useful to include it in the 'PC' category.

The same argument about tablets could be made for netbooks and chromebooks.

For the majority of consumers, a tablet has all the personal computing power they need.