Is there a good disc utility for OS X?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is there a good disc utility for OS X?

I have some weirdness with mail windows, and safari windows not opening. I've repaired permissions and ran the utility from the APPLE CD but no success.

So last time I looked at utilities people were saying stay away from Norton and Disc Warrior needed to boot into 9.

So while I think I may have a corrupted preference/s or a conflict with some software, it would be nice to own a disc utility in my quiver.

Any suggestions?

This system is a Tibook 867.

Mucho Gracias

-tink

p.s. are there any corruption problems (besides psychological ones), that result from heavy networking in a windows environment, i.e coping, saving, creating, deleting files on a networked XP box.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I heard that Drive 10 is a good one. Haven't used it myself, but that's what I heard.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    DiskWarrior is the absolute best, period. Yes you have to boot into OS 9 to use it but trust me, it's the best. I've seen DiskWarrior save hard drives that Norton couldn't even see, never mind try to fix. Drive 10 isn't bad, and it's OS X native, but it's not nearly as good as DiskWarrior. I recommend avoiding Norton as it seems to cause problems.