Apple calls tablets "the mother of all markets," Mac cannibalization not a concern

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

What Tim Cook had to say was very, very impressive and he only managed to drive the stock down $12. He's a real charmer, he is. If he keeps talking any more he can take the stock all the way down to $400. Is that a silken tongue or what? He should realize that no matter what he says it's going to sink Apple. Nobody actually believes him and I fully expect Apple's P/E to fall even further this year. That's the difference between Tim Cook and Jeff Bezos. Tim Cook can talk all day long and the more he talks, the further Apple will fall. If Jeff Bezos just clears his throat, Amazon stock will go up $20. Please, Tim Cook, put a sock in it. Whatever you're saying, Wall Street doesn't want to hear it and neither do Apple shareholders.

Boy, you nailed it!   Tim is so powerful that he drove down AAPL, GOOG, NOK, IBM, BBRY... and the whole NASDAQ index.

Possible you should follow the last line of your advice to Tim.

• Reply 22 of 41
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mstone wrote: »
    I don't know how other companies could possibly cannibalize the Mac or how Apple's iPad can cannibalize Windows PCs. I thought cannibalize meant one of your own products displaces one of your other products. I know what he meant, but the term used in that sense should not refer to other companies.

Depends on how you cast the net. There are animals that eat their own young (for various reasons) which I don't think anyone would deny as cannibalism. Then you have inter-tribal or exocannibalism which we define because they are eating their own species. I personally don't care for Cook's usage but I can see how the species could be defined as, say, the tablet market segment as a whole or CE market and all players just tribes so any shift in domination is the eating within that market segment.

I don't think that cannibals eat their own tribe... i think that would be called ingest...

There is evidence on at least 2 continents of tribes honouring their dead by eating them. This is known as endocannibalism. When someone dies you ingest them to make them part of you. Sounds reasonable to me. The best bits (muscles and fleshly organs) typically go to those higher up and the worst bit (brain and spinal cord) go to those lower down. The problem with this practice isn't the eating of the flesh but the spinal cord and brain where the disease Kuru can take hold. It's the same thing that causes Mad Cow Disease aka BSE aka bovine spongiform encephalopathy. It's an incurable degenerative neurological disorder formally known as transmissible spongiform encephalopathy. I think the practice — at least in regards to ingesting the brain and spinal cord — has been removed from the cultures that practice it.

Cannibalism comes from the "Spanish Canibales which is a variant of Caribes, the name of a West Indian people reputed to eat humans." However, there is no evidence that the Caribs actually ate humans.

The more formal name for this practice is anthropophagy with one who indulges in it known as an anthropophagus.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

And now the media is running with an IDC report that claims a major slowdown in iPad growth.  With Business Insider proclaiming iPad business is collapsing.  How exactly does that square with Appe selling a record number of iPads this past quarter?  And how the hell do we know what iPad market share/growth is when no one else reports sales/shipment figures?

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/02/ipad-business-slow-down-analyst/

• Reply 24 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingChael View Post

Wall Street has given Cook's presentation today a big thumbs down.  Talk about arrogance, ignorance, and incompetence all rolled into one.

Also got to love my posts getting deleted by coward mods/admin who can't take reality and defend the truth.  What are you, Tim's personal doggies?

Please go away.

• Reply 25 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

What Tim Cook had to say was very, very impressive and he only managed to drive the stock down $12. He's a real charmer, he is. If he keeps talking any more he can take the stock all the way down to $400. Is that a silken tongue or what? He should realize that no matter what he says it's going to sink Apple. Nobody actually believes him and I fully expect Apple's P/E to fall even further this year. That's the difference between Tim Cook and Jeff Bezos. Tim Cook can talk all day long and the more he talks, the further Apple will fall. If Jeff Bezos just clears his throat, Amazon stock will go up $20. Please, Tim Cook, put a sock in it. Whatever you're saying, Wall Street doesn't want to hear it and neither do Apple shareholders.

That's why they have a choice called "sell" in financial markets. It also stops a condition called "whining."

• Reply 26 of 41
    ecsecs Posts: 307member
    That's why they have a choice called "sell" in financial markets. It also stops a condition called "whining."
    Not sure if it stops whining, but for sure it stops companies with a wrong strategy.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Wall Street has given Cook's presentation today a big thumbs down.  Talk about arrogance, ignorance, and incompetence all rolled into one.

Also got to love my posts getting deleted by coward mods/admin who can't take reality and defend the truth.  What are you, Tim's personal doggies?

So because Tim didn't suck Wall Street's cock and grovel at their feet, that makes him ignorant and incompetent? That's your barometer for success, Wall Street's insctinctive response? That's what Apple should dictate their actions by? Do you think SJ gave a shit about Wall Street? Do you know how fucked Apple would be today, if it let Wall Street dictate their directions? Do you not realize Wall Stree's goal is to make short term cash, and Apple's goal is making the correct decisions for long term success and retaining brand value?

****, why are people like you even here? You clearly despise Apple, want them to fail, and have to pull shit out of your ass in order to attack them. I doubt you'd survive a day at Apple, yet you mock someone like Cook, who has an infinitely deeper understand of things than you ever will. 

• Reply 28 of 41
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I don't think a rational person can argue that we're in a post-PC era and worry about cannibalization of the Mac line at the same time.  Reading between the lines, this is what Cook is saying.  Fact: Many people only need a device that will allow web surfing, check email, pay bills, etc.  The need for a personal computer in the traditional sense just isn't there like it was before. 

He's spot on about the "halo" effect, too, and what other tech manufacturer has this?  No one that I can think of.  Over a year ago, I owned zero Apple products, didn't want any.  My oldest daughter wanted an iPod Touch and I gave in.  18 or so months later, we're up to something like 11 Apple products in the household.  I'm not bragging or boasting, just proving his point.

I don't know if you're into Home Automation systems and want or need a high end Home Automation solution, but Savant Systems is completely Apple and they have the absolutely slickest stuff on the market, but expect to have professionals install it.  I'm not at the point of calling someone in to install their products, but the second I can afford it and have a place I want to implement a high end solution, CALL THEM.   They do some SLICK stuff!!!!

Just giving you something to think about.........  These guys push the envelope in home automation.

• Reply 29 of 41
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And now the media is running with an IDC report that claims a major slowdown in iPad growth.  With Business Insider proclaiming iPad business is collapsing.  How exactly does that square with Apple selling a record number of iPads this past quarter?  ...

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/02/ipad-business-slow-down-analyst/

Hey R... check the chart heading in that article.

That particular report was only saying that the larger iPad sales were down.

Of course, one major reason for that would be the number of sales of the iPad mini.

Basically, the article was all about how smaller tablets are selling well.

• Reply 30 of 41
    I am a result of the halo effect also. A few years ago, I didn't know much about Apple. Now, my whole tech world revolves around them. I used MS Windows for 22 years, and now MS does not exist in my house. I hope I can stay happy with Apple. I do think OSX could use a good overhaul under the hood though.....not just pretty things added to it.
  • Reply 31 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I don't know if you're into Home Automation systems and want or need a high end Home Automation solution, but Savant Systems is completely Apple and they have the absolutely slickest stuff on the market, but expect to have professionals install it.  I'm not at the point of calling someone in to install their products, but the second I can afford it and have a place I want to implement a high end solution, CALL THEM.   They do some SLICK stuff!!!!

Just giving you something to think about.........  These guys push the envelope in home automation.

I will definitely check them out...I love the stuff, I automate as much as I can around here.  My Neato vac is like a pet around here.  We call him Artoo.  As in, R2D2.  ;-)  The kids get a kick out of that.  (by the way, if you or anyone reading this wants advice/tips on a robot vac, Neato is the only way to go.  I've tried all of them, Neato is amazing)

Thanks for the tip!

• Reply 32 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by bondr006 View Post

I am a result of the halo effect also. A few years ago, I didn't know much about Apple. Now, my whole tech world revolves around them. I used MS Windows for 22 years, and now MS does not exist in my house. I hope I can stay happy with Apple. I do think OSX could use a good overhaul under the hood though.....not just pretty things added to it.

I have one Windows PC left, my oldest daughter uses it for homework.  But this year, it's getting the boot.  Or is it reboot?  My plan is to pass my iMac to her and go with the 13" rMBP with a Thunderbolt display.  We'll see if my wife vetoes it in the budget, but I usually tell her it's about 1k more than actual cost, so I come in under budget.  ;-)

• Reply 33 of 41

Quote:

Cook said. "I think we're in the early part of this game. The projection is that the [tablet market] will triple in four years."

I think this is a VERY low estimate. Once the family of Apple tables fills out, this will be the new standard. In the next 1-2 years, you will be purchasing a 27" panel to use with your iPad on your desk as you do a Macbook today. 

• Reply 34 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

Apple was founded on the Apple I/II not the Mac.

I thought it was founded on the hatred of IBM? ;) 

• Reply 35 of 41
    Of course the iPad is slowly getting rid of PCs yet at least 5 years to go, with the iPad and MacBook (lineup) which would be better to buy? Both have certain advantages
  • Reply 36 of 41

Originally Posted by bondr006 View Post

I do think OSX could use a good overhaul under the hood though...

What would that include? We just got one in the form of pure Intel support. Before that was the addition of Intel support, and before that a wholly new OS. Next is pure 64-bit support. 

• Reply 37 of 41
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What would that include? We just got one in the form of pure Intel support. Before that was the addition of Intel support, and before that a wholly new OS. Next is pure 64-bit support. 

There's some suggestions here. Perhaps not as bad as he makes it sound, but looks he has a basis for what he thinks needs attention:

http://macperformanceguide.com/AppleCoreRot-intro.html

• Reply 38 of 41

Quote:

talk about arrogance, ignorance and incompetence. Someone who does not understand how the stock market works yet tries to explain what happens to Apple stock. 

• Reply 39 of 41
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member

Quote:

I know the King has been banned but Im going to post anyway ...

Can a mod with superpowers alter his/her handle to "Daves Mom" ?

• Reply 40 of 41

Originally Posted by RobM View Post

I know the King has been banned but Im going to post anyway ...

Can a mod with superpowers alter his/her handle to "Daves Mom" ?

Ah, we don't change usernames, I'm afraid. It wipes memories and can give former troublemakers something of a clean slate.