rMBP 13" vs. Mac Air 13" Which is better for a portable-wanting dev?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014

Hey all,

I do dev work in Xcode and iOS simulators on a rMBP 15" for a living, and have an app I want to make - but that means I've got to do it offline from my work, hence not use work assets to develop app. So I need a Mac. But I have no idea what to get.

I'm kind of kicking around between a Mac Air and a rMBP 13. The rMBP 15 is nice but expensive - I'd get a much higher powered desktop for the same money and I don't do anything that needs crazy video. And I really like the portability of the SSD 13" chassis machines. The Mac Air is much sleeker and I can get an i7 Core, but the rMBP has that screen and though only an i5. HELP!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    hal-9000 wrote:
    The Mac Air is much sleeker and I can get an i7 Core, but the rMBP has that screen and though only an i5.

You can get an i7 on the rMBP too.

It would be either:

13" 2GHz i7 Air
    8GB RAM
    256GB SSD
    $1599

or

13" 2.9GHz i7 rMBP
    8GB RAM
    128GB SSD
    $1699

but you can get a Retina 15" refurb with 256GB SSD and 8GB RAM for $1779:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC975LL/A

I'd say the refurb is the best value when you consider that you get the bigger Retina display, dedicated GPU, quad-core i7 and 256GB SSD for just $80 more than the 13" rMBP.
  • Reply 2 of 2

Thanks for the tip - on refurbs. I found a 13" rMBP (base config, stock) for $1269 and bought that. Saved $hundreds$ and have a really neat little machine here, it runs a Sim tip-top and makes my book's fonts and such look spectacular. I might still get a Haswell 13" rMBP later this year, but man I got a good buy with this little refurb. Again, thanks! Had no idea about refurbs.