Being forced to use Skype

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014

As I'm sure you all know, MSN messenger is being pulled in April and everyone (except the Chinese) are being forced over to using Skype. Messenger on mobile devices is lasting a bit longer but ultimately, Microsoft want us using Skype so they can display adverts.

The problem here is that I use a Mac so I'm used to programs looking a bit more polished, working better and not sounding like a child's electronic toy. So, using Skype is cringeworthy as it's like reverting back to a PC again. I know it can be skinned and the noises changed but...

I have collected a few log ins through various chat protocols like Messenger, Yahoo, FaceBook chat etc so I use Adium and have them all in one place under one program. It works nicely, it looks good and sounds OK. However it doesn't support Skype. I'd rather not have several programs running when 1 did it all before so are there any good chat clients that support Skype without having to have it running in the background?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Use IM+, I've never seen a add in Skype, huh.

• Reply 2 of 6
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

http://blogs.skype.com/2012/06/13/skype-advertising-update/#fbid=Lfel483dNF4

and that's just the beginning:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/microsoft/8505544/Microsoft-says-Skype-will-have-more-adverts.html

Remember, this is Steve Ballmer we are talking about.

It'll start with audio call adverts, then video call adverts, then chat adverts.

• Reply 3 of 6

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Remember, this is Steve Ballmer we are talking about.

It'll start with audio call adverts, then video call adverts, then chat adverts.

Is it required for work or something? I can't see any reason that you'd need to use Skype at all, given its state of affairs.

• Reply 4 of 6
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    I talk with my business partner (amongst others) over MSN messenger but since that is soon to be stopped it means I either have to convert over to a terrible program or find something else (and then get everyone else using it too).
  • Reply 5 of 6

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

I talk with my business partner (amongst others) over MSN messenger but since that is soon to be stopped it means I either have to convert over to a terrible program or find something else (and then get everyone else using it too).

FaceTime?

• Reply 6 of 6
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

I've started to use Viber a lot, a very nice free VOIP program. However for video chat I use GTALK, still my favorite program for that. Skype, unfortunately have to use because of my family, is it me or is Skype the most unstable piece of crap out there. The WIndows 8 client is a little better and very pretty but still drops calls more then any other program out there.