Apple pulls 'Prop 2' from upcoming proxy vote, says disappointed with court decision

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
After a U.S. federal judge sided with David Einhorn's Greenlight Capital in a lawsuit seeking the injunction of proposal vote scheduled to be held at Apple's upcoming shareholders meeting, the Cupertino, Calif., company removed the contentious "Prop 2" item from the docket.

iPrefs

Apple announced in a statement on Friday that it will be pulling Prop 2 from its annual meeting slated to take place on Feb. 27, reports AllThingsD. Einhorn sought to block a vote on the proposal as it contained an article which revokes the ability of Apple's board members to issue preferred stock, instead putting that power into the hands of shareholders.

Apple's statement:
We are disappointed with the court?s ruling. Proposal #2 is part of our efforts to further enhance corporate governance and serve our shareholders? best interests. Unfortunately, due to today?s decision, shareholders will not be able to vote on Proposal #2 at our annual meeting next week.
With the announcement, Apple is conforming to Judge Richard Sullivan's decision issued earlier today.

Einhorn wants Apple to issue so-called "iPrefs," or perpetual preferred stock that would pay out a quarterly 50 cents dividend equating to $2 per year. He suggests Apple could extend and enhance the program over time to ultimately offer five iPrefs per share of common stock, doubling the current dividend rate to return some $47 billion of company's swelling $137 billion cash hoard.

While Prop 2 has been removed from next week's annual meeting, Apple is not obligated to issue the iPrefs. It is unclear what the company plans to do regarding Einhorn's pressure, but thus far it has been loath to give in to the hedge fund manager's demands.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    This was really a clear loser argument for Apple. I think it is time for the general counsel to go, or at least the securities lawyer. Now they have to wait a year (or hold a special shareholder meeting) to split the initiative into three separate shareholder proposals.
  • Reply 2 of 62
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    msuberly wrote: »
    This was really a clear loser argument for Apple. I think it is time for the general counsel to go, or at least the securities lawyer. Now they have to wait a year (or hold a special shareholder meeting) to split the initiative into three separate shareholder proposals.

So they wait a year. No big deal.

If iPrefs doesn't benefit ALL shareholders, vote it down.
  • Reply 3 of 62

You forgot to call for Tim Cook's resignation and that it would never happen under Steve. /s
  • Reply 4 of 62

I now favor Einhorn's idea although I was against it before as long as all shareholders big and small benefit from some form of iShares.

Apple needs to give shareholders some more incentives with all the cash that they have.  Apple share price should be around $800 now.

They don't need all that cash and the stock price is depressed right now.

Apple needs to be first class at maintaining share value.

The board should throw us a bone now.  It does not have to be iShares as described but something.

Time will tell.

• Reply 5 of 62
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I now favor Einhorn's idea although I was against it before as long as all shareholders big and small benefit from iShares.
    Apple needs to give shareholders some more incentives with all the cash that they have.

Time will tell.

It serves no useful purpose. If Apple wants to give more money back to the shareholders, they can do so simply by increasing the dividend. No need for preferred shares.
  • Reply 6 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It serves no useful purpose. If Apple wants to give more money back to the shareholders, they can do so simply by increasing the dividend. No need for preferred shares.

The purpose was tax evasion. At least that's what some hedge funds might be doing with the preferred shares. For small shareholders, probably doesn't mean much either way. 

• Reply 7 of 62

I'm a shareholder and I really don't care if Apple issues a dividend or not. Yes, it'd be nice to get some cash from my investment, but there are many other solid dividend issuing companies to invest in. Apple's huge pile of cash gives them purchasing power and a buffer for when their insane popularity starts to wane. Yes, from a quarterly profit, squeeze all the money you can out a company point of view all that cash is "wasted". But truthfully, I trust Apple to take better care of it and invest it more wisely than myself.

- Jasen.

• Reply 8 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

The purpose was tax evasion. At least that's what some hedge funds might be doing with the preferred shares. For small shareholders, probably doesn't mean much either way. 

Actually it does mean something for small share holders.  We get the bread crumbs after the big hedge funds eat.

As song as hedge funds see value from growth or dividend, they will invest in the shares and keep up the value of  the shares.

• Reply 9 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

This is the age of the Internet, if they want be vote before next year they can find a way.

and in the meantime if the board doesn't want to issue any preferred shares there's nothing to force them to do so. So it's not really a lose.

• Reply 10 of 62
    Doesn't matter if its the Internet Age or the Stone Age, Apple would have to call a special meeting of shareholders in order to hold a vote. They don't need to flub another technicality.

Einhorn probably believes he has more potential to convince a majority of board members of issuing preferred shares than a majority of shareholders.
  • Reply 11 of 62
    jasenj1 wrote: »
    But truthfully, I trust Apple to take better care of it and invest it more wisely than myself.

- Jasen.

DRIP. If Apple doesn't have such a plan, your broker will.
  • Reply 12 of 62
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member

Apples board should just send a clear message to the Street.

We are not going to be pushed around by you period

If you don't like the way we run the company then sell.

Apple doesn't need this bs - constantly having to defend itself from attacks in court or through the media. That's the future right there - we have only a small taste of what will come.

Wall St doesn't like us - bfd. Then sell.

I suspect though the board will want to appear to be conciliatory to all shareholders and the above will not happen. But how to appease the voracious and conniving amongst them ? Doesn't seem to be any answer to that - I don't like Einhorn or his tactics but he has certainly brought attention to an issue that was bound to rear it's head sooner or later.

• Reply 13 of 62
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Not sure how it was a clear loser as Apple was required to share the proposal with the SEC and it did not object.
  • Reply 14 of 62

The SEC doesn't review the proposal's content.  The government leaves disputes between the shareholders and board of directors to the parties.

• Reply 15 of 62

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Quote:

Apple needs to give shareholders some more incentives with all the cash that they have.

Why? Incentives to do what? Not sell their shares? You'd think running an insanely profitable company would do that.

Quote:

Apple share price should be around $800 now.

Why? Because you want it to be? Not up to you. If you're not satisfied with a stock's gains, the standard protocol, as I recall, is to sell it.

Quote:

Do they not? Say you and what forensic accountants? You sound like a poor person who says the affluent don't "need" their money and should share some.

Quote:

Apple needs to be first class at maintaining share value. The board should throw us a bone now.

"Throw us a bone"? I like the begging, drooling dog visual. Except the dog is intellectually honest about it.

• Reply 16 of 62
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

I now favor Einhorn's idea although I was against it before as long as all shareholders big and small benefit from some form of iShares.

Apple needs to give shareholders some more incentives with all the cash that they have.  Apple share price should be around $800 now.

Apple needs to be first class at maintaining share value.

The board should throw us a bone now.  It does not have to be iShares as described but something.

Time will tell.

And? Is it Apple's fault the share price is what it is? Apple just had the most profitable quarter in it's history, and possibly in any company's history. Stock should generally reflect performance. Apple IS doing its job, and PERFORMING. The fact that the stock is so low has to do with other horse-shit that has nothing to do with the metrics of Apple's performance as a company.

• Reply 17 of 62
    You know he wants to get the iPrefs, then dump his common shares. Common share holders after iPrefs get screwed. Apple will have to pay the 4% on the iPrefs and then common shareholders won't get jack unless they happened to be holding when iPrefs are issued. I can't see how iPrefs make the common stock go up. Shareholders now don't deserve Apple's future earnings if they sell. Apple needs to push more for the tax holiday. They are investing in US jobs, two new campuses, green data centers etc.
  • Reply 18 of 62

Quote:

Apple share price should be around $800 now.

And it is because of dick head analysts pushing out estimates Apple could never met, making overhyped claims of production issues etc.

not because Apple isn't issuing prefers or handling out free iPads to shareholders or $20 a share dividends every quarter 

• Reply 19 of 62
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    lets worry about what apple is Manufacturing, instead of how much it is making... if I Worry about how much Apple is making I'm going to start Criticizing how much how expensive their products are... But since their products are awesome I don't have to worry about how much they cost...
    Apple doesn't have iDIOTS for employees, the only People that want iPREFs are iDIOTS... and David Einhorn wants iPREFS...
  • Reply 20 of 62
    haarhaar Posts: 563member

well, David Einhorn is an iDIOT, because of this iPREF idea, but that would make him a perfect Candidate for the Republican nominee for the next president of United States of America... (my bias against the republican party is showing)

oh no... Upon further reading he's a self proclaimed Democrat...

http://touch.valuewalk.com/valuewalk/#!/entry/has-david-einhorn-become-a-rightwing-teabagging-libertarian,5089f5e6d7fc7b567031db32/1

he has looks,  ideas, money, all that is needed to be the President... 

But seriously, David Einhorn for President... The US is going to need some serious mojo to get its  financial problems...

Of course one problem I wonder if Al Gore likes David Einhorn...